Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jay Leno and the Hemi Under Glass

I remember this after seeing the video. Beyond the obvious that it's a good thing no one got hurt, but this will be expensive all the same. From the video it looks as if when he let up on the throttle the car hit a small bump and the rear tires left the ground and he lost control when it came down. A shame they couldn't find a better venue for this, it probably cost him the car in my mind. 

I seen this video a while back. In an interview, Bob said the producers didn't have a clue what they were doing. I can't remember exactly what he said but he tried telling the crew that the strip of track they wanted him to run down wasn't right for the car, or it had debris that wasn't cleaned up or something, anyway, he tried warning them but was basically told to stfu you're being paid, get on with it.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I seen this video a while back. In an interview, Bob said the producers didn't have a clue what they were doing. I can't remember exactly what he said but he tried telling the crew that the strip of track they wanted him to run down wasn't right for the car, or it had debris that wasn't cleaned up or something, anyway, he tried warning them but was basically told to stfu you're being paid, get on with it.

First of all ; if I was in Riggles shoes and I identified safety issues, then he had a choice to tell the crew  no until we safety the area or find another location.  This is sometimes a  problem within the production industry.  Always in a hurry to get something in the can by deadline.  The occupants in the Hemi Under Glass were lucky they walked away.  Could have been far worse.

19 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

First of all ; if I was in Riggles shoes and I identified safety issues, then he had a choice to tell the crew  no until we safety the area or find another location.  This is sometimes a  problem within the production industry.  Always in a hurry to get something in the can by deadline.  The occupants in the Hemi Under Glass were lucky they walked away.  Could have been far worse.

eah, I guess, but sometimes "I told you so" is a better lesson! They'll think twice before pushing someone to do something they're not sure about next time.

I saw this footage being played beside the rebuilt Hemi under glass on display at Gilmore Auto Museum in Kalamazoo Mich. while attending NNL 40.

Very memorable trip for me...to say the least!!

1011190954a.jpg

Edited by Khils