Model Cars Magazine Forum

International RF-190

This one began with a fiberglass conversion. With it being fiberglass and extremely thin and brittle, this one will be curb side. I did however put together a crude example of the Red Diamond 450 engine for the truck. It is by far not perfect but keep in mind it will only be seen from underneath. The 4300 kit will supply the chassis.

D2CF85B6-3598-44DD-872A-B345E47D0AA4.jpeg.1015e238070d3bacc909e9d2fcd382ae.jpeg

22 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This is another interesting project Brian, these old International truck are very cool.  I didn't know either that fiberglass can be used to make a body this small, is it what we call "gelcoat" to repair boats shell among other?  I know this kind of stuff can produce some very smooth finish.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure how it was done. From what I understand fiberglass casting was more commonly practiced years ago. It is only the second one that I have ever had, although I've seen several. The first one was the White Road Commander that I did. It had a lot of flash, and even the flash was hard as a brick and hard to remove. On that one I actually cut part of the top off and made it an aerodyne cab, but it was very hard and brittle to work with. This one on the other hand seems to be very crisp and clean. I'm hoping that this one will require very little work.These fiberglass conversions are very thin and very light, probably lighter than styrene. They are smooth on the outside but resemble fiberglass mat on the inside. Some of the ones that I've seen on line and the White Road Commander I built were so thin that light shined through them.

1 hour ago, kilrathy10 said:

Wow... Fiberglass... Interesting... I'll be following this one... Engine looks convincing enough, to me....

Thanks JT!

8422677844_cfc0442d93_b.jpg.e9ad09233aa01ad1504039f00d339f48.jpgBrian:  In the other photos I was not sure what I saw for the front grill but this one shows what I was wondering about.  Add some strip stock to the bottom of the horizontal bars of the grill.  Round the top outside edges off first.  Check out the real ones.  You will see what I mean.

Edited by Chariots of Fire
add photo.

10 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

8422677844_cfc0442d93_b.jpg.e9ad09233aa01ad1504039f00d339f48.jpgBrian:  In the other photos I was not sure what I saw for the front grill but this one shows what I was wondering about.  Add some strip stock to the bottom of the horizontal bars of the grill.  Round the top outside edges off first.  Check out the real ones.  You will see what I mean.

You know you're killing me, Bro.... 

This baby would look so amazing in that orange!!! ?

10 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Thanks  Charles. The cab came with separate  chrome horizontal bars for the grill. I haven’t really gotten them out of the bag and looked at them closely yet. Thanks for the tip if I end up having to make some.

Brian

1 hour ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Looks like there is a diesel behind that orange hood!

The 6v-53 Detroit seems to have been available in Australia. I can’t seem to find any information on it being available in the US though. Although the C and J series Cummins were available in the US.

Thanks again for the comments!

I have a little more progress. The body work is not perfect but I wanted it to look a little warn having been repainted and still in use. I tried a different paint. I usually use spray cans because of convenience. I usually try to use lacquer because it dries fast and doesn’t build up thick like many enamels. This is an enamel model railroad paint called scalecoat 1. It seems to cover pretty good without building up very thick, but dries VERY slowly. 

80D054A0-9037-472C-AA11-1D232CCF7ED6.jpeg.f8867d8bc0e940b5d9495745b433e425.jpeg

43125693-9DDF-4154-B489-0D5806B0A3F8.jpeg.72776919d1dadaca9efb1e7f12c9ff19.jpeg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71