Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you could only build one kit for the rest of your life, what would it be?

18 hours ago, iBorg said:

Something from Model Factory Hiro......it may take my lifetime to build it and another to afford it.

Amen to that.  I have the Revell 1/12 GT350, the Trumpeter 1/12 GT40, The Otaki 1/12 72 Mach1 and some other large scale kits which would keep me busy for a long time just to build one of them.  The MFH kits are pretty incredible but I’ll follow along for now.

How creative can we get in terms of using other parts?

For example, many years ago, the VW/Porsche dealer I worked for moved. The Toyota dealership that moved in did some renovations to the building. The literally tore down the entire building except for one wall, about 30ft x 10ft. But because they retained some of the original structure, it was considered a renovation and not a new build. Major advantage in terms of zoning, taxes, permits, etc. 

Using the same thought process, if I picked a kit and then replaced everything except for say the driveshaft, would that count?

Seriously though, I'd probably just stop building if I was limited to only one. For me, that would take the fun out of the hobby, and if I'm not having fun, then what's the point?

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

My wife and I were playing a game when we were road-tripping cross-country trying to decide which state we would choose if we could only eat the food that that state is famous for producing.

Im not a corn fan, so Indiana was out (although here I am in Indiana anyway ?) - we couldn’t decide between Idaho or Wisconsin in the end...

I guess Idaho would be the sensible choice, but cheese IS delicious ?

That's cool!  I grew up in Nebraska so I would have both corn(after all we are all cornhuskers) and beef because that is what is says on the license plates. ?0.jpg.pagespeed.ce.1dPZzfxJnm.jpg

On 9/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Honestly? I would quit building.

There's no way that I could maintain interest in building the same kit over and over again.

As it is, I almost never build the same kit more than once.

Steve

At one time I would have 49 Ford Coup but I now Steve has a good points....

I have an affinity for the AMT 40 Willys Coupe/Pickup kit.  So far I have built it three ways and only one is partially  box stock, I have plans for four more versions.  I have three kits in the stash, some are only major pieces , plus some left over parts from my former days in the hobby.

Modified Coupe 042.jpg

Li'l Nasty 079.jpg

Rat Rod 029.jpg

This one is in the works, going to be a fuel coupe.

Willys Fuel Coupe 011.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick

On 9/27/2020 at 8:23 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Honestly? I would quit building.

There's no way that I could maintain interest in building the same kit over and over again.

As it is, I almost never build the same kit more than once.

Steve

While I do agree, it all depends on the builders interests. I really enjoy building super stock cars of the 60s most, and there are many different sponsors, and drivers, that raced those TBolts, and Belvederes. I have built many TBolts, as available decals allowed me to, and I still have several cars on the bench waiting to be completed, that I have built before. 
But on the other hand, once I build a factory “stock” car, I see no reason on building another one. 

It would be easier for me to just pick one particular vehicle and try to build the different variations of it. For me, that would either be the Imperial, or the Chrysler 300, building each year model, in convertible and hardtop versions. That would keep me busy.

Very difficult, my uncontrollable love for 57 Chevies would say a good 57 Chevy kit, but then I'd want a kit of my own car so the MPC 79 Chevy Nova kit, but then again, what about the perfect truck of all time the Kenworth W925, I'd have to have the AMT "Watkins" version. 

You just cant do this to a person ?

So going by Jim's original heading: If you could only build one kit for the rest of your life, what would it be? I took it like you're on a deserted island and a container of one kit washes up on shore. What kit would you build. That implied to me you can only work with what's in the box. In that case I don't think I could name any one kit that would do.

But as I read the responses, I realized that everyone is thinking of a certain kit with many other kits available to rob parts from (as well as scratch building supplies and resin etc) to build what you want from your one chosen kit. If that is the case for me it would be the Revell Model A roadster and coupe kits but I would also want the older Revelll Model A kits too, Tudor, Woody, Pick-up and if possible the AMT Model A kits. That would keep me busy for a long time.

1 hour ago, peter31a said:

If that is the case for me it would be the Revell Model A roadster and coupe kits but I would also want the older Revelll Model A kits too, Tudor, Woody, Pick-up and if possible the AMT Model A kits. That would keep me busy for a long time.

That's what I would call a "family" of kits, much like the AMT '63-'67 Corvette coupe and roadster kits I mentioned in my first post in this thread.