Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you could only build one kit for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Hard to say really, I love the Lindberg 66 chevelle kit ( built 4 of those so far, and one more planned), and I did 6 revell Baldwin Motion  69 Camaro’s ( all at the same time for a car carrier project), and on the dark side ( big rigs) , I’ve built 3 international pro stars, so not sure I could pick just one.....

13 hours ago, peter31a said:

So going by Jim's original heading: If you could only build one kit for the rest of your life, what would it be? I took it like you're on a deserted island and a container of one kit washes up on shore. What kit would you build. That implied to me you can only work with what's in the box. In that case I don't think I could name any one kit that would do.

Well, this completely implausible hypothetical scenario is about as implausible as most of us here MANAGING to build a kit with only what’s in the box so I guess we can bend the rules a little ?

I keep trying to follow those instructions but MANNN the temptation to change just those  couple of things is strong ?

My "forever" build kit would be the AMT '25 Ford kit. Having already built about 10 or so, why change now ? I could build a nearly endless string of trucks,speedsters and rods based on that kit by adding my own scratch built components and cool resin parts like those available from Replicas and Minatures of Maryland. An old school kit choice? Absolutely!

Edited by misterNNL
Corrected spelling

I would choose the Pocher Bugatti. It is probably the best of the bunch.  Generally their old classics were not the best kits in the world despite all the hype!  They certainly can be built to a very high standard, but they are not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted modeller! One only has to look at the number of abandoned projects that come up for sale to see why. Just one or two of these kits with the sheer amount of corrections and extra detailing would keep most expert modellers going for the rest of their lives.

The revived Pocher name now marketed by Hornby/Airfix in the UK will probably be much better than the old Italian kits from the 70's and 80's although still for the experienced modeller.

The new MFH Bugatti Type 35B looks very tempting as a very highly detailed kit to build...................for me anyway!

I gave this some additional thought and came up with a kit that I could build for the rest of my life(I'm 70).  By the way, I've already built two of them.  That kit would be the Tamiya 935/934 1:12 scale.  The last one I build was on the bench for 4 years.  There is so much you can do with this kit.  There are also a ton of variants that it could be modified into not to mention all the different liveries.  Of course this is a bit of a cheat, because at 70, I probably don't have a lot of builds left in me, but this could keep me busy for a while.  ?

On 10/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Think I would settle for AMT's 53 Stude. The design is still freash, and with just a few contemporary touches, it is surprising what you can get out of it. Here are two I played around with...

Good choice. That car could be (and has been) built hundreds of ways.