Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

UPDATE!

@tim boyd

I've been thinking about my response to Tim (just above) all day since I wrote and posted it. In particular my comments about the wheels. I really do want this truck to be recognizable to anyone who remembers his old How-To so tonight I decided to mock the truck back up using the same wheels that Tim used, the Boyd Coddington wheels from Monogram's original release of their 1937 Ford Sedan. As it turns out I already had this set stripped and fit to these tires complete with inner rim halves (from a previous project that I abandoned.) The rear tires are identical to what I was already using and the fronts are the little Dunlop's from Revell's 1932 HiBoy Roadster. The front tires had to be trimmed out to fit these wheels. 

I was also able to get the radiator and shell to stay together (thanks to flash on the radiator making them a tight interference fit) and stand up and pop a set of headlights on. After seeing this mock up I'm 100% convinced to go this route. I'll save the first set of wheels and tires for something else. I always envisioned this project using the Coddington wheels so I don't know why I set out with something else...

1602561111535-vi.jpg

1602561148253-vi.jpg

1602561285138-vi.jpg

1602561202637-vi.jpg

1602561238659-vi.jpg

And for S&G's, how about the view of that fancy Corvette IRS hanging out back!

1602561241615-vi.jpg

1602561263134-vi.jpg

That's all for now. Let me know what you think of the wheel change. ?

7 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks, man! Good to see you here, too. Are you gonna get back to building?

Yup, I'm in the thick of it now. Costing me almost as much as the 1:1 hobby haha. I've posted a few things but have a sorta replica of my '32 roadster coming up soon in the build schedule.

Loved the old wheels but the new ones look perfect too.

I like the new wheels Dennis! You mentioned the Corvette IRS from the AMT '36 five window street rod. I used the '36 five window (maroon and Silver on the box) to build my pickup and it didn't have the IRS. Was there a different issue that came with the IRS? 

1 hour ago, Quiet Eric said:

Yup, I'm in the thick of it now. Costing me almost as much as the 1:1 hobby haha. I've posted a few things but have a sorta replica of my '32 roadster coming up soon in the build schedule.

Loved the old wheels but the new ones look perfect too.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing that project. And for real on the cost of the hobby these days. I don’t wanna think about the full scale things I could have done with the money I’ve spent on models. LOL!

26 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I like the new wheels Dennis! You mentioned the Corvette IRS from the AMT '36 five window street rod. I used the '36 five window (maroon and Silver on the box) to build my pickup and it didn't have the IRS. Was there a different issue that came with the IRS? 

Not 1936, the Vette IRS is in AMT’s 1934 5-Window. Street Rod version only or 2-in-1. It’s also in that kits predecessor, the 1933 Sedan Street Rod. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Not 1936, the Vette IRS is in AMT’s 1934 5-Window. Street Rod version only or 2-in-1. It’s also in that kits predecessor, the 1933 Sedan Street Rod. 

My bad. I don't know why I had '36 on the brain. One suggestion for the current wheels: cut the center loose from the rim, narrow it and glue it back to the center to give it less offset.

I love it on those Boyd rims!  I didn’t know that there were any kits with Boyd wheels aside from the couple of Testors kits...and those few AMT American Hot Rod branded kits with the ENORMOUS 24”s in, or whatever they were.  Not sure Boyd had much to do with the look of the wheels in those kits anyway, they weren’t my favorite design

Anyhoo, looking great buddy!  Enjoying watching this one come together!! 

Dang it Dennis, you're killing me. In the back of my mind I've been toying with the idea of doing a billet-ed out 80's/early 90's street rod for awhile now. Like you, that time period was when I was just getting into the hobby and it was all the rage. This build may just push me over the edge into actually doing it. I've already started gathering parts in my head, and I may just have to pull together a mock up over the weekend. But almost certainly I'll be using those wheels from the first issue 37 Ford. That kit was huge for me in my formative model building years, and even now I still think they're a great looking wheel. Which is why I'm glad you decided to switch to them for this project. As an ode to the man that provided so much inspiration to us over the years.

Yer killin me.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Dang it Dennis, you're killing me. In the back of my mind I've been toying with the idea of doing a billet-ed out 80's/early 90's street rod for awhile now. Like you, that time period was when I was just getting into the hobby and it was all the rage. This build may just push me over the edge into actually doing it. I've already started gathering parts in my head, and I may just have to pull together a mock up over the weekend. But almost certainly I'll be using those wheels from the first issue 37 Ford. That kit was huge for me in my formative model building years, and even now I still think they're a great looking wheel. Which is why I'm glad you decided to switch to them for this project. As an ode to the man that provided so much inspiration to us over the years.

Yer killin me.

Oh man, you gotta join in on the 80’s fun, Craig! This is one of several I have planned. Let’s bring it back!!! ?

13 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I love it on those Boyd rims!  I didn’t know that there were any kits with Boyd wheels aside from the couple of Testors kits...and those few AMT American Hot Rod branded kits with the ENORMOUS 24”s in, or whatever they were.  Not sure Boyd had much to do with the look of the wheels in those kits anyway, they weren’t my favorite design

Anyhoo, looking great buddy!  Enjoying watching this one come together!! 

Yup, there are some kitted original Coddington designs. These (from the original issue of the ‘37 Sedan) are some of his earliest 3-piece style with the bullet shaped center cap. The follow-up Revell 1937 Convertible with Trailer also has a really nice set of them but with second generation flat center caps. Those stayed for later issues of the Sedan. 

7 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Yup, there are some kitted original Coddington designs. These (from the original issue of the ‘37 Sedan) are some of his earliest 3-piece style with the bullet shaped center cap. The follow-up Revell 1937 Convertible with Trailer also has a really nice set of them but with second generation flat center caps. Those stayed for later issues of the Sedan. 

Good info, thanks Dennis!  I’ll be picking those up for sure!

UPDATE!

@tim boyd

Got to spend some time at the bench today. First order of business was to finish building the frame center "X" using pieces cut down from Monogram's '37 Ford Sedan just like Tim did. On the rear sections it was necessary to pie cut and taper them where they join with the side rails. When Tim set up his I believe he added material to the frame rails to make them as tall as the rear “X” pieces so he didn’t have to modify them.

1603068678919-vi.jpg

1603068686696-vi.jpg

1603068707368-vi.jpg

1603068718925-vi.jpg

And with the engine and trans in place...

1603068815771-vi.jpg

Next I needed to adapt the rear wheels to the IRS. I found that the wire wheels from the Monogram Slingster dragster were a perfect fit onto the axle stubs so I cut their hubs out to creat sleeves, drilled the holes in the back of the wheels to a little bigger diameter and glued the sleeves in. I'm also going to use the disc brakes found in all of the Revell '32 kits and they are a perfect fit as-is. 

1603068854728-vi.jpg

1603068863738-vi.jpg

1603068937485-vi.jpg

Here are the wheels and tires fit to the fenders. Thankfully my planning worked out and the truck still sits slammed like it did when the fenders were just laying over the tires.

1603068938001-vi.jpg

1603068999641-vi.jpg

And just for fun I propped the chassis up onto all 4. The front axle is fit to the frame but the wheels are not adapted yet. They're just precariously stuck on the spindle stubs.

1603069077091-vi.jpg

That's it for today. Plenty more to come soon!

Edited by Dennis Lacy

2 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Heck yeah, bring it on!

I didn't mean to personally challenge you, but ratter make some sort of a group build challenge, where a few people build a Tim-Boyd_themed 29APU. I think it would be interesting, because from what I see, even though you are trying to build a billet style rod, your traditional style is taking over. and it will be the same way with me. No matter how traditional I try to build a rod, my high tech style takes over. 

Either way, I'll take on the challenge. 

Edited by mrm

2 hours ago, mrm said:

I didn't mean to personally challenge you, but ratter make some sort of a group build challenge, where a few people build a Tim-Boyd_themed 29APU. I think it would be interesting, because from what I see, even though you are trying to build a billet style rod, your traditional style is taking over. and it will be the same way with me. No matter how traditional I try to build a rod, my high tech style takes over. 

Either way, I'll take on the challenge. 

I'm in for sure?

The style that marks this era makes me throw up in my mouth a little; while simultaneously bringing up memories of "Hot Rod Magazine" issues from my prepubescent years! Talk about mixed emotions! LOL! But, your talent and craftsmanship keep me checking up on this thread (like every other model you carefully and meticulously construct!) Please take photos of the finished chassis (once painted and up on the rolling stock) before you mount the body. It's a work of art in and of itself; and many hot rods featured in "Hot Rod" often had a full page or double page spread showing the rolling chassis with the body lifted off as I recall! If I could muster up an '80's build it would have to be a loose replica of the "Lime Fire" deuce roadster. I think that was completed in '87..........in 79 days if I recall correctly.

Edited by krassandbernie

9 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

The style that marks this era makes me throw up in my mouth a little; while simultaneously bringing up memories of "Hot Rod Magazine" issues from my prepubescent years! Talk about mixed emotions! LOL! But, your talent and craftsmanship keep me checking up on this thread (like every other model you carefully and meticulously construct!) Please take photos of the finished chassis (once painted and up on the rolling stock) before you mount the body. It's a work of art in and of itself; and many hot rods featured in "Hot Rod" often had a full page or double page spread showing the rolling chassis with the body lifted off as I recall! If I could muster up an '80's build it would have to be a loose replica of the "Lime Fire" deuce roadster. I think that was completed in '87..........in 79 days if I recall correctly.

I hear you. My passion is and will probably always be for traditional hot rods but being born in ‘79 there’s no denying I have a certain fondness for these 80’s era street rods and 80’s pop culture in general being that it’s what I was exposed to as an impressionable youngster. Just like any other era, when it comes to billet rods there’s well done and not well done. My aim is to end up in the spectrum of well done. 

I’ve seen Lime Fire in person many times and it is 100% Hot Rod and quite the juxtaposition of what was popular at the time. 

9 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

I do not often look at the truck sections of the forum but I am glad I did today. I am really enjoying this tread. A 29 Cab PU has been on my want to build list for a very longtime.

Glad you ventured over into truck land. I always enjoy your thoughts on my projects and glad you’re enjoying this one. 

It seems several guys have been inspired by this thread to build their own versions so why wait any longer? Dig out a kit and get going on your own!