Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

17 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@mrm

Not stalled in the least. Generally, Sunday afternoon is when I get my bench time so one day a week is as fast as It’s gonna go. My updates will usually post Sunday nights which has been consistent since I started this thread. But, I’ll respond to people’s comments all through the week to help keep the conversation flowing. Of course, I have a wife and 3 kids so there’s some weekends that are out completely due to other activities. 

The only exception to the Sunday rule is when I’m going through the paint process as I do it all at work on my lunch hour or before heading home. 

Thanks for the reply. 

My comment was mostly a jab at the others who said that would get on the challenge. I hear you on "schedule". I have a wife and two kids too. And they play Hockey and I work six days a week. So I get it. 

By the way I took your idea and ran with it. I chopped the cab by removing the material on top of front window and then removing same amount from the middle of the rear of the cab, but only after enlarging the rear window. I love the look. I'll post my thread tonight, so you can see. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@mrm

Can't wait to see your project!

A general “build an 80’s billet car” thread inspired by this one was started in the Community Build section by @Mr. Metallicand has a decent  amount of activity so far. 

Well, I'm sticking to my "Tim Boyd Tribute APU" building theme. 

Also, when I hear Billet Rod and all those smooth lines, color coded interiors etc., it takes me to the '90s, not the '80s. The '80 didn't have anywhere near the creativity or the execution of those rods. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

Time at my workbench has been basically non-existent for the last month and a half but today I finally had some free time so I put in some more work on the closed-cab. 

I shaved the FORD oval emblem off of the grill and filled the notch at the top for the radiator cap.

1608520548577-vi.jpg

I filled the hinge notches in the bottom of the tailgate and removed the hinge halves from the bed. I then added 4 tabs inside the bed to support the hard cover made from .040" Evergreen sheet.

1608520618440-vi.jpg

1608520594141-vi.jpg

1608520589970-vi.jpg

With the smoothed grill and bed...

1608520633562-vi.jpg

1608520656312-vi.jpg

I smoothed out the insides of the doors (people familiar with this kit know all about the 4 giant ejector pin marks on each door!) and then cut down the Revell '26 T Sedan door panels to fit. I also repurposed (from an abandoned project) a Revell '37 Ford Convertible dashboard that I had added material to and then shaped to fit an earlier cowl. I also selected the Lecarra style steering wheel from Revell's '40 Convertible and tilt style column from Mongram's ZZ Top '33 3-Window. 

1608520535613-vi.jpg

1608520669675-vi.jpg

Dennis....needless to say, been waiting expectantly for this update.

Excellent idea on using the '26 Tudor interior door panels....and really like the instrument panel idea too.  

Glad to know you are still chugging away on this one, even as time constrained as you are right now. 

Cheers and Happy Holidays from the Boyd Ranch....TIM 

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....needless to say, been waiting expectantly for this update.

Excellent idea on using the '26 Tudor interior door panels....and really like the instrument panel idea too.  

Glad to know you are still chugging away on this one, even as time constrained as you are right now. 

Cheers and Happy Holidays from the Boyd Ranch....TIM 

Thanks, Tim. I’ve been wanting so bad to have bench time. Should be back to my regular Sunday afternoons now. I can’t take credit for the ‘26 door panels, just copying what you did! ?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Spent a productive afternoon at the bench today.

I wanted to use the stock firewall but there was interference with the small block so I sanded down the kicked out portions until they were flat. That ended up breaking through so I had to install some filler pieces which I made from .020" sheet. I also filled the gigantic steering shaft slot. At the top of the firewall I grafted in a filler piece to complete the middle of the hood ledge. A stock firewall is shown on the bottom for comparison. 

1609726732377-vi.jpg

1609726738802-vi.jpg

1609726815814-vi.jpg

Next, using the kit floor board as a pattern I made a new one from the floor pan in Revell's '32 Speedwagon woody which has just a transmission hump compared to all the other kits in the Revell '32 series which have a full length driveshaft tunnel. I added brake and gas pedals taken from the old Buttera '26 Sedan kits and a steering column lower mount made from a slice of 3/32" tube. I also filled the two rectangle holes in the cabs rear floor.

1609726962149-vi.jpg

1609727006013-vi.jpg

1609727061161-vi.jpg

I taped in the modified Revell '37 ford Convertible dashboard for a test fit and was then able to offer up the steering column and shorten it as necessary. Now I just need to make a new column mount off the bottom of the dash.

1609727253584-vi.jpg

1609727228083-vi.jpg

I test fit these potential bucket seats taken from Revell's 1990 Mustang LX. Since that style of Mustang started in 1987 these seats would have been available in the late 80's. I don't know if they are going to stay but they are a good fit and I'm short on options for modern looking buckets that have an vertical enough back to fit a truck cab properly. 

1609727310504-vi.jpg

I filled the headlight bar mounting holes in the front fenders and then mounted a pair of small hot rod lights from Revell's '29 Roadster directly to the fenders which was a popular modification starting in the 80's. I also filled and smoothed off the door handle holes. Here's a mock up with the newest work and with a door hung on for the first time. 

1609727385457-vi.jpg

1609727349423-vi.jpg

1609727353923-vi.jpg

1609727358079-vi.jpg

1609727364915-vi.jpg

1609727371034-vi.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, Dave72 said:

Looking awesome Dennis! This is a neat little hot rod your building here. I love all of the mods you have done so far! Very inspiring.

Thanks a bunch. It’s been fun to break away from the very traditional hot rods I always build and tap in to my inner 80’s, LOL! I grew up in the era and went to plenty of rod shows so I remember the style well and admittedly have a soft spot for them. 

ADL, with all that I've seen over the past few years of your ability and eye for detail simply amazes me.  There's something I think some of your followers don't know about you, you have an advantage that many model builders haven't had the opportunity to experience; you have an everyday job that allows you to work on the real cars both restored and modified (hot rodded) '20s, '30s & '40s automobiles!  

This @tim boyd inspired Model A Pickup project that you have been working on will be yet another spot on hot rod from your bench!  And, to have @Rocking Rodney Rat share his '29 Model A Pickup here is a flash back for me.  You have improved your building techniques and your selection of parts that you pull together help create many memorable hot rod models, Brother!

Keep up the good work and more importantly, keep sharing your step-by-step pictures and written narratives... so much is being gained by and played out for others to learn from... shown in every point of progress that your so modestly share!

We have to encourage others to build from their heart and pass this awesome hobby onto our younger modelers around the world!  MCM Forum is an well established platform for model car and truck builders from all four corners of our globe!  I want to thank Gregg, Dave and every modeler here for their hard work building and maintaining this site! -KK

ps

I'd like to follow up on something you mentioned earlier in this article, I'd like to see other Revell '29 Ford Pickup builds!  There are so many versions that I know are out there!!  Here's one from the combined benches of K&R Kustoms+Rods:

1614823498_29PUV-12MidnightAutoSalvagefromKRKustomsRodsHollywoodShop.jpg.9bcf1dd2ae6b98667be79e6aa96504c0.jpg

Both @Rocking Rodney Rat & I built this several years ago! Fun project!!

Edited by Kit Karson

UPDATE!

Work continues...

I've had a set of photo-etched street rod plug wire looms since I was 16 (that would be 1996!) and never attempted to use them. This style of loom emerged in the Billet era so I felt no better time to give them a try. I successfully assembled them (5 pieces each side) without losing any parts or saying the "F" word so that was pretty good! In the full scale world these mounted to the valve cover bolts so I drilled some small holes in the sides of the valve cover for them to insert into. I added some breathers to the valve covers and built a base for the air filter to create a solid mounting area and eliminate the open void.

1610335787023-vi.jpg

1610335798034-vi.jpg

1610335801900-vi.jpg

1610335807899-vi.jpg

I finished the radiator by filling all of the original holes and creating new hose locaters and fit a Revell '32 kit electric fan.

1610335814871-vi.jpg

I finished the dash by building a column drop and then installing a stereo head unit cut down from the little overhead console found in all of the Revell '37 Ford's.

1610335817197-vi.jpg

I don't like the backside of the firewall so I installed a false flat panel made from .040" sheet that will hide it. I also mounted the MSD style ignition box to the inside as there's not enough room on the engine side of the firewall to fit it. 

1610335941133-vi.jpg

1610335951914-vi.jpg

1610335827750-vi.jpg

I wasn't feeling the previously test-fit '90 Mustang seats and they were a bit too wide anyhow. I don't have a lot of options for modern looking buckets that would fit well in this truck but then it occurred to me that I might be able to modify some to fit. After a sacrificial test seat I figured out what to do and was able to rework the seats from Revell's '26 T Sedan Delivery (same kit the door panels came from) and make the backs more vertical to tuck back in the cab nicely. I also cut away the seat riser platform from the floor in the '26 T. The fit and proportions are perfect! (At least I think they are.)

1610335916090-vi.jpg

1610335925671-vi.jpg

1610335968659-vi.jpg

And a zoomed-out parting shot. I'm thinking one more afternoon at the bench should have the fabrication wrapped and then the paint process can begin. 

1610335975127-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Nice work Dennis - I especially like the wiring loom!  It’s coming together - can’t be too far off being ready for paint?

Thanks, man! Not too far off at all. One more afternoon to finish up some loose ends and it should be there. Paint has been ordered and should arrive in the next few days. I'll share the color scheme as soon as I have it on hand. ?

Just now, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks, man! Not too far off at all. One more afternoon to finish up some loose ends and it should be there. Paint has been ordered and should arrive in the next few days. I'll share the color scheme as soon as I have it on hand. ?

Bring on the pastel tones! ?

Looking good, as usual! I like what you are doing with the engine and interior. Although I love traditional hot rods and customs, I did even back in the 80's.This style street rod is what I grew up with too, so I understand having a bit of sentiment for them.