Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Kit.....the triangular shaped "Lynx" air cleaners were also my first choice....good to know Dennis agrees as well.....I wanted one of those for my '70's tribute 1929 A Stake model but wasn't able to find a set that I thought looked good enough....the best ones I remember being in the old AMT/Lesney 1969 Cougar XR=7 Street Machine kit of about 1979....but I already used those on another model.   Yours look familiar but I can't place them....do you recall where you got them?  

Also like your choice of headers and distributor....that M&D Hayes T-Bird kit was a terrific model when it came out around 1990, and remains a great choice for kitbashing even today, in my opinion. 

Excellent progress and thanks for sharing your updates....TIM :

Only a small update but I have been pre-occupied with some other projects over the last few weeks.

After some basic bodywork, I got the first coat of primer on but I don't think i like the two panels in the rear pillar.  The loo is a bit odd and it will be a mongrel to clean up so I am thinking of filing it flat and replacing it with one new raised panel.

Meanwhile, a test fit of the shortened version of the pickup bed from the  Hot Rod magazine version revealed that it was a very tight fit between the Bandai rear fenders, enough to to spread them at a weird angle.  I traced the outline of the fender onto the bed sides and then used a sharp blade to scrape away a recess which is letting it sit a lot nicer.  Still need some fine tuning on those rear rails, however, they may get replaced yet by something more h0-tech and smoothie in style.

20210328_204209.jpg

20210328_204230.jpg

20210328_204554.jpg

20210328_210925.jpg

Edited by alan barton
  • Like 1

UPDATE!

Okay, everyone. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that my truck that started this whole @tim boyd tribute thread is finished! The bad news is that I simply don't have time tonight to post the finished pictures and write the description. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to unveil the finished model...

1616990865738-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Been following this and I am impressed with the builds and the positive comments from all the hobby heavyweights (sic)

I have stashed away a box with a Lil John 26T chassis and running gear with a closed cab pick up body waiting for a build up. Parts are left over from a 26T sedan cut down to a pick up with an A chassis that is a staled project - need to get back to it ASAP 

WOW!

On 3/29/2021 at 2:01 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

UPDATE!

Okay, everyone. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that my truck that started this whole @tim boyd tribute thread is finished! The bad news is that I simply don't have time tonight to post the finished pictures and write the description. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to unveil the finished model...

1616990865738-vi.jpg

WOW!  Waiting for the MONEY SHOT and you do not disappoint, Brother!

Between RRR & ADL both have nailed it!  Tough to follow... -KK

On 3/30/2021 at 4:17 AM, bill-e-boy said:

Been following this and I am impressed with the builds and the positive comments from all the hobby heavyweights (sic)

I have stashed away a box with a Lil John 26T chassis and running gear with a closed cab pick up body waiting for a build up. Parts are left over from a 26T sedan cut down to a pick up with an A chassis that is a staled project - need to get back to it ASAP 

Bring it!  Pickup where you left off and join the @tim boyd Tribute thread that @Dennis Lacy started! -KK

On 3/30/2021 at 7:22 PM, larry ray said:

Now I have a idea of what to do with those left over Billet wheels.

Keep us included on how you plan to use your leftover Billet wheels, please!?.  Join in on this group build.  There are followers all over the world because of the MCM platform on the inter-web! -KK

On 3/30/2021 at 4:17 AM, bill-e-boy said:

On 3/30/2021 at 7:22 PM, larry ray said:

Now I have a idea of what to do with those left over Billet wheels.

15 hours ago, blunc said:

the "mystery carb" has the general shape of a mid-50's to mid-60's Rochester 4bbl, non spread-bore carb.

might have been in an Impala or Corvette kit.

Thanks for the follow up... we'll solve this "mystery carb" issue, maybe with the help of other passer byers.  Have you noticed the #'s on this thread? -KK

1219320749_KeepOnTruckin.jpg.f058288dedf5922d6c954e83d4060f20.jpg

I pulled a Lil John 34 coupe build up and compared it to the 29 closed cab. Wheel based on the LJ chassis will need to be lengthened a tad but this should be fairly easy

As I consider Lil John to be the originator of the billet phase the use of one of his chassis for a closed cab build up would be fitting. A wheel change to some blingy directionals, a bit of chassis work - too easy

IMG_5872.thumb.JPG.82cab822e08d6ee4ae122e59beee1f53.JPG

View of LJ underside

IMG_5873.thumb.JPG.198f79fa06b085859a060c5904816d6d.JPG

Even has a Ford in a Ford to appease the faithful

IMG_5874.thumb.JPG.39a60e7a5f346557250f91ff49400ae3.JPG

View to show how much the chassis will need to lengthened

The 34 kit body is way out of scale and does not look right - but what a great chassis

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 5:56 AM, bill-e-boy said:

Thanks Tim

Looks like you Z'ed the frame at the rear to get it down. And a 4 banger to boot - a Pinto 2ltr? A Pinto would struggle to rotate the slicks let alone make smoke. LOL

Bill....I did Z the frame at the back....basically via a sheet styrene extension to each of the frame rails. 

As for the engine....it was a modern-day Ford banger, from the Tamiya Super Seven kit of the mid 1980's....hey, fuel economy was a big thing with rod builders back then.  Not my cup of tea (Ford V8's for me), but semi-relevant for the time....also looked pretty cool, or so I thought....Best....TIM

DSC 0577

DSC 0576 

• Like 1

Still no earth shattering movement but the bodywork is getting closer!  Surprisingly, none of the brains trust here noticed my earlier gaff - turns out that shortened smoothie bed up the top is not from a Hot Rod series Revell Model A, but from the Monogram T bucket trailer - I couldn't work out what the odd mounting brackets underneath were all about!  Turns out they are the axle and towbar mounts. It is also about 5mm shorter than the stock bed which suits this build perfectly. A happy accident!

I seem to be bogged down with a lot of heavy bodywork lately and my efforts to refine the swage lines on this cab were not going well so last night I threw caution to the wind and filed everything off and started again. It will need primer to tell me if it was worth it but so far so good.

The roof and the sunvisor were scratchbuilt from flat styrene and the swage lines are down with Evergreen.

If I can get the bodywork finished by this weekend I can get back into fabricating the mounts for the Jag rear end and generally tidying up the chassis.

Cheers

Alan

20210412_214051[1].jpg

20210412_215427[1].jpg

20210412_224802[1].jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, after much deliberation, I have finally settled on a colour - Lip Gloss by Dulux.  It is very close to Boyd's red, perfect for the eighties, and though It is a hardware store paint, I have had very good results with it over Tamiya pink primer.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alan barton said:

Oh yeah, after much deliberation, I have finally settled on a colour - Lip Gloss by Dulux.  It is very close to Boyd's red, perfect for the eighties, and though It is a hardware store paint, I have had very good results with it over Tamiya pink primer.

Cheers

Alan

Keep on keepin' on! -KK

I pulled my body out the other day to get a start on it and it fell apart in my hands, so after two nights of gluing and sanding I finally got a start on the actual build. the first thing I wanted to do was put in the independent front end out of the AMT 34 coupe kit. with a bit of cutting the front end went in without a problem. I was going to use the vette IRS from the same kit but after searching through my wheel box and finding a set of autodrag wheels and fat radial tires, I decided to tub it and go down the pro street path with a twin carb sbc and a 9inch rear. 

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

20210316_075901990_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

@BullysCustomModelParts

Pro Street, I freaking love it!

I also love the use of the Auto Drag wheels. They were such a staple of the 80’s, people put them on everything. 

Are you going to fill in the fenders around the upper A arms? I’ve actually seen that done a few times in the full scale world when people would fit Pinto front suspension into an early car. 

Jackson, there was a very nice metallic blue, flamed South Aussie Model A roadster pickup that ended up in Perth years ago - I think Lance Fussel owned it.  It had an HR Holden front end.  The original builder fabricated quite squared off box structures to clear the wishbones but because the headlight bar was dropped low enough to nearly touch the top of them, you barely noticed it - might be a plan for your front end.

And yeah, my body cracked a windscreen post the other night.  It is a little known fact that the industrial chemists at Revell once offered their plastic formula to the Pringles potato chip people.  Pringles rejected the formula as they said it would make their potato chips too brittle!

Undeterred, Revell used the same formula to make models into the 21st century - only more recent white plastic models were actually buildable!

Cheers

Alan

11 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Jackson, there was a very nice metallic blue, flamed South Aussie Model A roadster pickup that ended up in Perth years ago - I think Lance Fussel owned it.  It had an HR Holden front end.  The original builder fabricated quite squared off box structures to clear the wishbones but because the headlight bar was dropped low enough to nearly touch the top of them, you barely noticed it - might be a plan for your front end.

And yeah, my body cracked a windscreen post the other night.  It is a little known fact that the industrial chemists at Revell once offered their plastic formula to the Pringles potato chip people.  Pringles rejected the formula as they said it would make their potato chips too brittle!

Undeterred, Revell used the same formula to make models into the 21st century - only more recent white plastic models were actually buildable!

Cheers

Alan

I found one picture of it on the nubreed website, I reckon that will do the trick.

48D2C9BC-48F6-4759-9DB2-8B09B6056A39.jpeg

That's the one.  A young guy built it in the late eighties, on unemployment benefits, would you believe!  Did absolutely everything himself.  The thing handled like a go-kart and regularly won gymkhanas. I seem to remember it was his only car at the time.

Cheers

Alan