Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Note to all you guys building 1980's themed Model A hot rod pickups as featured in this long-running thread - looks like once again, we as adult model car builders, are LEADING the latest trends in 1/1 scale hot rod building.  

I say this having observed Dennis' "1980's/very early 1990's" build theme that inspired this entire thread, and now, in the latest development, the GoodGuys organization is using the same theme for their latest giveaway OBS truck project as unveiled in the latest issue of the GoodGuys mag.  We're talking white with teal and pink graphics rendered in the very best Brian Bordon/Revell thematic layout, even Boyds billet wheels (that aren't 20's, 22's, or 24's)!   

And this is not the first time we've led emerging 1/1 scale hot rod themes.   Those of you following the model car scene in the1980's/early 1990's know exactly what I'm talking about.  

So...big kudos to you all.  And keep it up!   TIM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys look like you're having altogether too much fun so last week I threw this thing in a large zip-loc bag and hosed it down with oven cleaner. 

Not a pickup so I won't be posting it in this thread but I did a pickup last year, need a bit of variety.  

No pastels for me but some fine pearl may be in order. I have a set of decals from the first issue of the Monogram '39 Chevy delivery I'd like to use the signage from on this so looks like it's gonna be green.  

I'm also gonna start a '29 roadster loosely based on the Chuck Hoffman '28. That car is so perfectly timeless.

IMG 1814

IMG 1811

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 7:11 PM, tim boyd said:

Note to all you guys building 1980's themed Model A hot rod pickups as featured in this long-running thread - looks like once again, we as adult model car builders, are LEADING the latest trends in 1/1 scale hot rod building.  

I say this having observed Dennis' "1980's/very early 1990's" build theme that inspired this entire thread, and now, in the latest development, the GoodGuys organization is using the same theme for their latest giveaway OBS truck project as unveiled in the latest issue of the GoodGuys mag.  We're talking white with teal and pink graphics rendered in the very best Brian Bordon/Revell thematic layout, even Boyds billet wheels (that aren't 20's, 22's, or 24's)!   

And this is not the first time we've led emerging 1/1 scale hot rod themes.   Those of you following the model car scene in the1980's/early 1990's know exactly what I'm talking about.  

So...big kudos to you all.  And keep it up!   TIM 

At the pace this thread has maintained interest across such a broad base of contributors, but an even larger mass of followers.  From a modeler's idea (@Dennis Lacy) to impacting real life gatherings of "Auto Enthusiast".  Decades ago @Rocking Rodney Rat& I hosted model car shows at the NW GoodGuy's gatherings.  During a GoodGuy's event in Salem, OR a fellow rodder approached me at the model display and told me incorporated aspects of the ZR-6 in his '49 Chevy Fleetline.  Model builders have always been admired by the big car guys because they used to be model car builders themselves!  There are several of us on both sides of the hobby.  I build models that I can't afford to build in real life!  

Thanks, @tim boydfor all that you have graced us with over the years!!

On 5/28/2022 at 8:19 PM, Can-Con said:

You guys look like you're having altogether too much fun so last week I threw this thing in a large zip-loc bag and hosed it down with oven cleaner. 

Not a pickup so I won't be posting it in this thread but I did a pickup last year, need a bit of variety.  

No pastels for me but some fine pearl may be in order. I have a set of decals from the first issue of the Monogram '39 Chevy delivery I'd like to use the signage from on this so looks like it's gonna be green.  

I'm also gonna start a '29 roadster loosely based on the Chuck Hoffman '28. That car is so perfectly timeless.

IMG 1814

IMG 1811

Chuck Hoffman '28

1683826313_ChuckHoffman28.jpg.2a9054aab701b6d64e26be680c1ea3a1.jpg

• Like 1

I am back on deck.

I just read Tim's comment above and feel chuffed that we as a group are leaders in the auto design field. 

I have just finished a fuzz buster quick-build so that I can say I have completed at least one model this year - damn we are half way through the year already.

The paint job of the Pacific blue turned out OK I clear coated with Humbol super clear and had an oops that I sorted. Learn me for using an untried new airbrush which ended up having too big a nozzle. Well the Humbrol clear was taking it's time to set up and still is a little soft so I will need to be careful.

I got the pickup bed wood done. Base coat of light brown with dark brown and black dry brushed to bring out the grain. This was all covered in Tamiya clear red and the wear strips foiled. Not a big fan of this batch of foil I have. I seem to remember when it was first on the market it was easier to apply and buffed up super shiny and stayed stuck down.

IMG_7189.thumb.JPG.a20c723dac4888d28e3d45b9f20b81dc.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bill, Your chassis turned out very nice. Great work!

So as you know, I have been involved with working on @Kit Karson's 1929 Ford Pickup 80s Contemporary Street- Rod a Tim Boyd Tribute build that i was doing a repaint on for him. Things have escalated past the paint, the chassis, and the interior and on to the engine I go. The engine was put all together when i took possession of this project. I tried working with said engine and it just wasn't working with the truck and what i have got done so far. 

Here is a picture of the engine as it came to me. Sorry it's not a better pic but it is the only one i have. It all came apart and stripped of paint soon after i got it. I already knew i was going to repaint it......

IMG_2222.thumb.JPG.65cf94882b7f0a9e9befc53b756bc3e6.JPG

With the engine apart and stripped, it was primed and ready for some fresh paint. The block will be body color and the heads, intake, oil pan and water pump will be alclad polished aluminum. Bellhousing will be alclad also. The trans will be body color with bmf and and alclad on the pan........ 

IMG_2429.thumb.JPG.6ce28501062c6e971f99a3c2f6a5407d.JPG

With everything painted the assembly was put together. For the amount of time, effort and material used i thought the results came out ok.

IMG_2662.thumb.JPG.084f92fc8caaa4ebd7af7452d8e82a37.JPG

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.dc696f41889d7fe492ec861e80f6c2ac.JPG

IMG_2665.thumb.JPG.7f55f7a62076cb9d8f563878b35bb1bf.JPG

IMG_2666.thumb.JPG.0a5210964ffd1c52ccaa90a8be72778b.JPG

Really had to think about this. Is it what should be under the hood. kind of yes. But the intake and carbs must go. Just not feeling it with the induction setup. Needs a more correct intake manifold to start with. After much concideration, I have decided to make some changes in color on the engine. I'm not going to repaint the block but the other parts will get changed. So apart the engine goes again and the parts are being stripped. We will see how things are looking in the next update.

Till then.....................

Speedpro

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Kit - the pickup is lookin good

Been slowly working on mine. I have the chassis nearly done - drive shaft needs paint so will fit that when done.

Pix of chassis

IMG_7381.thumb.JPG.bd995aaba39580d89a6fc125d51a3bc4.JPG

IMG_7379.thumb.JPG.1d71abe33a7a9ba41d8c6ad7223f89c5.JPG

IMG_7380.thumb.JPG.bcf7a938708a1b57d271064f4a36d576.JPG

14 hours ago, Speedpro said:

Bill, Your chassis turned out very nice. Great work!

So as you know, I have been involved with working on @Kit Karson's 1929 Ford Pickup 80s Contemporary Street- Rod a Tim Boyd Tribute build that i was doing a repaint on for him. Things have escalated past the paint, the chassis, and the interior and on to the engine I go. The engine was put all together when i took possession of this project. I tried working with said engine and it just wasn't working with the truck and what i have got done so far. 

Here is a picture of the engine as it came to me. Sorry it's not a better pic but it is the only one i have. It all came apart and stripped of paint soon after i got it. I already knew i was going to repaint it......

IMG_2222.thumb.JPG.65cf94882b7f0a9e9befc53b756bc3e6.JPG

With the engine apart and stripped, it was primed and ready for some fresh paint. The block will be body color and the heads, intake, oil pan and water pump will be alclad polished aluminum. Bellhousing will be alclad also. The trans will be body color with bmf and and alclad on the pan........ 

IMG_2429.thumb.JPG.6ce28501062c6e971f99a3c2f6a5407d.JPG

With everything painted the assembly was put together. For the amount of time, effort and material used i thought the results came out ok.

IMG_2662.thumb.JPG.084f92fc8caaa4ebd7af7452d8e82a37.JPG

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.dc696f41889d7fe492ec861e80f6c2ac.JPG

IMG_2665.thumb.JPG.7f55f7a62076cb9d8f563878b35bb1bf.JPG

IMG_2666.thumb.JPG.0a5210964ffd1c52ccaa90a8be72778b.JPG

Really had to think about this. Is it what should be under the hood. kind of yes. But the intake and carbs must go. Just not feeling it with the induction setup. Needs a more correct intake manifold to start with. After much concideration, I have decided to make some changes in color on the engine. I'm not going to repaint the block but the other parts will get changed. So apart the engine goes again and the parts are being stripped. We will see how things are looking in the next update.

Till then.....................

Speedpro

Bill, absolutely stunning job! 

Waldo, keep on keepin' on, Brother!

@bill-e-boy

Chassis is looking fantastic! Also really like how you finished the bed floor. Very nice!

@Speedpro

The small block for KK’s pickup is turning out great. I like how you picked out the brass core plugs and “plated” the servo cover on the side of the C4. Looking forward to seeing what induction you change to. Needs a “billet” air filter. 

• Like 1