Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Dennis Lacy

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Recommended Posts

@Dan Hay

Thanks, Dan! I was in love with the wheels, too. Lots of parts from many 37 Sedan kits ended up on my projects back in the day. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ADL, 

Thank you for the invite!  Seems we have a mutual admirer: @tim boyd

Let's see if we can run this thread out the backend of this forum!

Been mining parts and have found an interesting difference from the past and now!?. 

1000748689_Revell1929FordPickupThennNow.jpg.25e62dcbefbd72a214e392e7a38a2d0b.jpg

There's a BIG WINDOW and a SMALL WINDOW version of the Revell 1929 Ford Pickup!

For the '80s Contemporary Street Rod - Tim Boyd Tribute build... I think I'll go with the:

WP_20210111_015.jpg.ccefaad9b8ea85b889ccdb158fcc8311.jpg

BIG WINDOW version!

Edited by Kit Karson
Add a picture...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kit Karson

Welcome aboard! 
 

And for those of you wondering, Kit and I are pals and are in nearly daily communication talking models and cars thanks to the wonderful technology of text messaging. He got inspired to start his own Boyd Tribute ‘29 Pickup and rather than start a new thread I invited him to tag onto this one. We also have good intel that a mutual friend will be joining us in the near future. 
 

The 80’s Billet Street Rod scene is back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alright, alright, alright!!!! I guess we're all going back to the future. Here's my mockup. The wheels are from the Revell '37 convertible. It's been so long I've done a build with directional wheels, I'm not sure which way they're supposed to be going! I found a good deal on a '29 pickup kit on ebay and I'm awaiting its' arrival. I need to finish the build I'm almost ready to put into the paint booth before I really dive into this.... stay tuned....

-RRR

87g987y.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this is going to be great to watch. Making me want to build one too. Pretty sure I have enough acceptable parts to work with too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

LMAO! Those exact words left my fathers mouth countless times in my youth. Looking back on it as a 40 year old, if what I was doing in school was half as interesting as building models I probably would have made a better effort. ?

When I was teaching, I repeatedly pointed out that most of the curriculum and lessons were written to be as off-putting as possible to as many kids as possible. I supplemented-, heavily, with my own materials, and in one case, I was handed what was openly admitted to be a clunker of a class, looked at the curriculum, said "oh, cool," round-filed it, and did my own stuff that the kids liked, that met desired end-reuslts, and they were learning  from. Even if they weren't crazy over a particular area, they were getting value, and I was told as much by the end-users....the students!

Yeah, admin didn't like hearing that.

I will, however, like watching this.

Charlie Larkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 68shortfleet said:

Wow, this is going to be great to watch. Making me want to build one too. Pretty sure I have enough acceptable parts to work with too.

I highly recommend that you do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE!

Spent another afternoon plugging away. At this point I'm pretty certain all of the necessary fabrication work is done and the project can move forward into the primer and paint phase. 

Exhaust system is fabricated. The blue sections were made from 3 sections each of the pipes in Revell's '37 Convertible. The white sections come from Revell's 1967 Pro Street Chevelle/Malibu and represent classic 80's Supertrapp mufflers (originally developed for motorcycles I believe) just like Tim used. One of the key recognizable design elements that were a must for my own truck. 

1610937356443-vi.jpg

1610937368222-vi.jpg

To the Corvette IRS I added some differential cover and spring U-bolt bolt detail. 

1610937405556-vi.jpg

I added the windshield header from Revell's '26 T Sedan to make this area a little more interesting and also to strengthen and straighten the somewhat warped windshield header area. I also added a strip of .040" up inside for additional strength.

1610937453485-vi.jpg

1610937448305-vi.jpg

The other day my paint order came in and here they are! Black for the fenders, purple for the frame, grill, cab and bed and pink accent for the engine and drivetrain. I decided to go with black fenders as a nod to the original commercial purpose of the truck and because I felt like purple on the fenders too might be a bit much. The pink accent will be a nod and tie-in to Tim's truck that inspired mine.

1610937346424-vi.jpg

I also got in a sheet of Hawaii license plates that I found on eBay. There is one of every year and style. I'll be using the 1929 plates as Hawaii (like many states) allows you to assign Year Of Manufacture plates on vintage vehicles.

1610335776648-vi.jpg

And the reason for the Hawaii license plates is because this is not only going to be an authentic late 80's street rod, it's also going to be a Surf Shop Truck on the Big Island! The decals and surf board come from Revell's 1937/1938 Ford Pickup while the rest of the items come from Monogram's "Blue Bandito" 1929 Pickup which was a retro reissue with all of it's original "Blue Beetle" content restored, scuba gear included. Monogram surprised everyone with this kit restored and I've been waiting for a just-right project to finally use these accessories.

1610937378767-vi.jpg

1610937379618-vi.jpg

1610937387773-vi.jpg

Here's the last mock up before primer sprays. Included is all of the surf junk and you can also see the Supertrapp muffler peeking out under the running board. I can't wait to see this truck come together in color!

1610937482101-vi.jpg

1610937461244-vi.jpg

1610937468175-vi.jpg

1610937473565-vi.jpg

That's it. Next time I update there will be lots of pink and purple parts!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice work Dennis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ADL-  I really like how this came together. I'm waiting for my kit to arrive to get going on mine. I'll have to scrounge around in the big box of old trashed builds to see if I can find some of those Super-Trapp mufflers....I have a similar, somewhat garish color scheme planned for mine as well. Here's to the '90s!!!   -RRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Rob says above, this thread just gets better and better....

Dennis...the wheels up mockup looks really sharp, and a really inspired choice of decal livery and bed accessories, too.   The pure fun you are having with this project comes through loud and clear in your updates.....great! 

Best...TIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

[...]

Exhaust system is fabricated. The blue sections were made from 3 sections each of the pipes in Revell's '37 Convertible. The white sections come from Revell's 1967 Pro Street Chevelle/Malibu and represent classic 80's Supertrapp mufflers (originally developed for motorcycles I believe) just like Tim used. One of the key recognizable design elements that were a must for my own truck. 

1610937356443-vi.jpg

1610937368222-vi.jpg

[...]

I'm going to be building the '29 mixed with '31, was wondering if the exhaust can be run inside without using the headers going out down and around.  This will be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

ADL-  I really like how this came together. I'm waiting for my kit to arrive to get going on mine. I'll have to scrounge around in the big box of old trashed builds to see if I can find some of those Super-Trapp mufflers....I have a similar, somewhat garish color scheme planned for mine as well. Here's to the '90s!!!   -RRR

I can’t wait to see where you take yours! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As Rob says above, this thread just gets better and better....

Dennis...the wheels up mockup looks really sharp, and a really inspired choice of decal livery and bed accessories, too.   The pure fun you are having with this project comes through loud and clear in your updates.....great! 

Best...TIM

I’m having a blast. Traditional hot rods are my true love but there’s just something about these 80’s street rods. This is only the beginning. More projects like it to come...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorting out parts and came across a couple of very special parts trees that @Rocking Rodney Rat & I came across three decades ago! Yup, we had contacted AMT & requested kits that we could provide a small group of kids as a presentation we wanted to do for them as an introduction to model building as a hobby.  AMT came through with a bunch of boxes of model kits and a few boxes of parts!  In the parts were a couple of trees from the '33/'34 Sedan/Coupe kit.  Not something you come across very often!  These were not trees that are chromed in the original kit releases.  Here's the original parts tree:

WP_20210119_006.jpg.9d55d600f602fc2f584d8b9d7c6756f2.jpg

Here's the same tree that was chromed but never offered in any kit:

WP_20210119_008.jpg.11d8acb80a8dd77d145676fe5c3ca2f1.jpg

Might have to go with the extra chrome parts under this '80s/'90s show rod!

Here how the parts came in the out of the box of parts we got from AMT 30 years ago:

WP_20210119_004.jpg.b68a921abfcbc10cf89d81189ecafc35.jpg

Notice how the tree is only partially chromed...

WP_20210112_004.jpg.aad0224030161bb9945495ae442e8d5e.jpg

Now all I have to do is get it in and make it look like it belongs there! -KK

Edited by Kit Karson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dennis, may I ask where you score the scuba gear in the back of your truck?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slusher said:

Dennis, may I ask where you score the scuba gear in the back of your truck?? 

It said above the picture but maybe the way I wrote it wasn’t totally clear. A few years ago Monogram reissued their classic 1929 Roadster Pickup kit as “The Blue Bandito”. It is a retro throwback to the original and second issues of the kit back in the 60’s, “The Blue Beetle”. They reverse-engineered the content back to that original configuration which included all of the blue gear you see + a surf board (long board) and spear gun. Neat stuff. You can find them on eBay most of the time but the prices with postage are in the $40-$60 range, typically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

It said above the picture but maybe the way I wrote it wasn’t totally clear. A few years ago Monogram reissued their classic 1929 Roadster Pickup kit as “The Blue Bandito”. It is a retro throwback to the original and second issues of the kit back in the 60’s, “The Blue Beetle”. They reverse-engineered the content back to that original configuration which included all of the blue gear you see + a surf board (long board) and spear gun. Neat stuff. You can find them on eBay most of the time but the prices with postage are in the $40-$60 range, typically. 

656445960_bluebeetle29fordroadsterpickup.jpg.c7411761b87395452904ba0b892253d0.jpg

blue beetle '29 ford roadster pickup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the surf-truck idea.  Radical, dude!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...