Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Equipment Trailer with Tank

Fresh out of re-hab, I built the trailer originally over 40 years ago.  The story here, the M4A3 Sherman tank is fresh out of overhaul and headed for the American Heritage Museum in Hudson, MA to be part of their tank driving experience.  (I drove the real one earlier this year)  This tank was featured in several movies, The Blues Brothers and a starring role in "Tank".

The Pete COE is also over 40 years old, she's held up well considering time and several moves.  The Pete is rattle can paint, airbrushing was still a little in the future.

This was also a bit of an experiment with Mission Models acrylics.  The tank and trailer are both done with MM sprayed with an airbrush.  I still prefer Pollyscale, nothing since seems to have decent coverage.  MM is ok, though their flat really isn't.  The tank was given several coats of flat and it's still way too glossy.  I've had some compatibility issues with MM and other acrylics so I was reluctant to use my  old Pollyscale flat over the MM.  Decals took a long time to get on as the letters are all applied individually.  One thing I learned, MM has a polyurethane additive that supposedly increases the durability but I had 2 bottles that ruined the first try on the trailer.  MM coverage isn't very good, many coats required to cover primer.

DSC_8551.jpg

Edited by Warren D