Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need a little help identifying this junkyard find...

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Big '69 Ford. Note the hood. 

Duhhh ?‍♂️ I really should’ve known that...? Thanks for setting me straight!

2 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I'd love to walk around the junkyard too. Nowadays they won't let you unless you have a reason to go in there without trespassing.

Yep, exactly. I was after some parts for my truck, and decided to take a look around. At least they let me walk the yard. Some junkyards around here won’t even let you do that.

When I lived in Los Angeles, there were several "Pick-Your-Parts" junkyards around Sun Valley/San Fernando, all near each other. You paid $1 to get in and brought your own tools.  I had a couple of old cars back then and spent nearly every Saturday in those yards.

This was in the mid to late 1980's, when cars from the 1960's and 70's were still pretty common in junkyards. Still, they always caused a feeding frenzy. If the forklift dropped any muscle-related  cars, like a 4-door '68 Olds Cutlass or Chevelle, it was like a swarm of piranhas attacking.  

One impossible find:  I worked with a woman who drove a '61 Dodge Lancer, with a bashed in passenger door.  Couldn't believe it, but I found a '61 Lancer in a yard and yanked the door off.  Her husband painted and installed it.  Good as new!       

Used to live in the Sacramento area until '96. I needed a seat track for our '85 Monte Carlo SS. I went to the local Pick - and - Pull yard. They wanted what I felt was way to much for a Monte Carlo seat track they said if they even had one for a Monte. Paid my $1 to wonder the yard. Hmm, a Cutless shares the same body shell so I figured it should be close. They charged me $5 for the seat track and I got some other bits for not much more. I cleaned and painted the track and it fit perfectly. Not bad since the dealership I worked at wanted north of $100 for a new track. I love these places. 

5 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

My question is, are you going to drag it home?

?

If that old Ford has been there very long , I'd bet the underside is toast. Between sitting  in the dirt rusting the floor and frame going up- and being a convertible that hasn't been covered  the carpet and pad has been soaked/ rotting going down.

I used to love scrounging junk yards, most of the old yards around me have been cleared out for scrap years ago. A few pictures from the past-

C2IG0bj.jpg

rrQgfIG.jpg

MO4CNFw.jpg

uUl76rS.jpg

RcpxlnK.jpg

6 hours ago, von Zipper said:

I used to love scrounging junk yards, most of the old yards around me have been cleared out for scrap years ago. A few pictures from the past-

Me too! I could spend hours wandering around looking at different vehicles, and imagining the possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, Sam I Am said:

My question is, are you going to drag it home?

?

Hah! I wish. I already have enough of a headache project with my F-150 ?

On 9/30/2020 at 1:33 AM, von Zipper said:

C2IG0bj.jpg

Anyone have a time machine that I could borrow for a bit? You could come with me if you wanted to...?