Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare metal foil body

Back in 2010, John Teresi, a member of this community, built his version of the Thunderflight custom Thunderbird using Alclad as the finish.

Mr. Teresi is a highly skilled model builder who shares his work on this board. Though all of his work is exceptional, I was tremendously impressed with his version of the Thunderflight T-Bird.

Here is a link to the Thunderflight WIP.

Prepare to have your brain melted!

David G.

Thanks for the mention @CabDriver

This is bare metal foil applied inside and out of a model T.... once applied i scuffed lightly with a scotch brite pad, and used krylon matte finish on it.  

The best tip I have, and I read it from someone on here, is to rip your seams at the corners, instead of a clean knife cut... the ripped irregular edges don't catch the eye as much.

It actually wasnt "that bad"  once I got going..  Go directly to the unpainted plastic and use the door and body lines to break it up the BMF into smaller more manageable pieces.

Side.jpg

Back1.jpg

EngineCloseup.jpg

interior.jpg

On 9/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, CabDriver said:

I like this stuff:

96B56AED-E394-4FB6-9EB5-95D9B138EDBD.thumb.jpeg.389ba6476bc752dfb8371876d0046a27.jpeg

Does a very acceptable polished aluminum kind of shade to my eyes - bright and chrome-y looking with no flake-y look to it:

I use a Valspar Metallic Silver that comes out like your paint.  Pretty sure I bought it at Lowe's.  Heck, with all the buyouts/consolidations in the paint industry, it might be exactly the same paint.  

On 9/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

For what it is worth, the bugcatcher scoop on this coupe was "plated" with Chrome spray paint from Michael's. Not as chrome as Alclad chrome, more like polished aluminium. 

CT

DSC00574 (2).JPG

Very slick looking coupe!! I likey a lot.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, Impalow said:

This is bare metal foil applied inside and out of a model T.... once applied i scuffed lightly with a scotch brite pad, and used krylon matte finish on it.  

The best tip I have, and I read it from someone on here, is to rip your seams at the corners, instead of a clean knife cut... the ripped irregular edges don't catch the eye as much.

It actually wasnt "that bad"  once I got going..  Go directly to the unpainted plastic and use the door and body lines to break it up the BMF into smaller more manageable pieces.

Side.jpg

Back1.jpg

EngineCloseup.jpg

interior.jpg

Very impressive build!

On 10/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, Impalow said:

Side.jpg

Back1.jpg

EngineCloseup.jpg

interior.jpg

Hi Eric!

This rod is world class, as all your cars I should say. Bravo!

The bare-metal treatment is outstanding, but what gets me is the Louis Vuiton "luggage" in the back. My wife loves it! She actually wants it... 

CT

CT

• 4 months later...

Love it Bugatti Fan, I'll have to search for more.

Now this isn't chrome bur a nice finish anyway.  The manifold feed tubes are a combination of Testors spray 'Aluminum Plate' with an over coat of Tamiya 'Anodized Aluminum' that I believe I picked up from the lexan RC paint rack.  It drys with a gloss finish but still keeps some of the satin look.

Big Bad Blower 1.jpg

1 hour ago, Howard Cohen said:

This is a Modelhaus teardrop trailer in resin that I covered in Bare Metal Foil about 35 years ago. Over time, the foil has crinkled a bit but it still looks like aluminum because BMF is aluminum :) 

Well, the Chrome BMF is definitely *NOT* aluminum. That is why it works so well.  It is much more pliable than aluminum foil.  It is some sort of low-temperature alloy (you can easily melt it with a soldering iron). Aluminum foil won't melt using a soldering iron.  The color of Chrome BMF is also distinctly different from aluminum.
Put a piece of your kitchen aluminum foil next to BMF Chrome, and you will readily see the difference.  BMF Chrome has a warm (slightly yellowish) color, where aluminum has a white (even slightly bluish) tone.  BMF Chrome looks more like Nickel than aluminum.

Anyways, the bottom line is that BMF Chrome is a great product for our hobbies.  As far as the crinkling goes, that could also be caused by the resin body shrinking slightly over the years. While ploystyrene used for model kits is dimensionally stable, I have noticed  urethane resin items shrink slightly over the years.