Model Cars Magazine Forum

GIGANTIC ADS AND COMMERICALS!!!

Jantrix

I get it, ads help pay the bills for this forum, but there needs to be limits set. Ads that take up the entirety of my screen or those with actual commericals embedded are the worst. And I'll bet also whats slowing down the forum. This is a screen grab of an ad in between posts in a thread. It's getting out of hand.

rgtnf.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Those "Times Square" , "Freemont Street Experience" ads have been around for at least a month , if not a bit longer . 99.9% they're NOT even related to anything in this forum ! 

Beauty salons , and the such , ads have NO PLACE here , period . And , the fact that their placements are so arbitrary only makes their presence even worse !

Advertising has become an overbearing practise over the last 20 , 25 years ---- who's their target audience ? As a member of Gen-X ( Blank Generation , et al. ) , I'm not finding anything relatable in these ads . Matter-of-fact , I'll go out of my way to NOT purchase from these corporations , even if their product is something I may otherwise be interested in . 

"Finally got completely irritated with some of the adult oriented ads appearing on this site so I turned my ad blocker back on.  Not being a prude but some of these ads are just over the top, especially the one advertising "Never Seen Photos" or "Historical Photos".  I mean a picture of a well-known actress wearing a tee-shirt with "My P...y, My choice" is a bit too much."

Posted this morning in the What Irked you Today, Off-Topic forum.

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

"Finally got completely irritated with some of the adult oriented ads appearing on this site so I turned my ad blocker back on.  Not being a prude but some of these ads are just over the top, especially the one advertising "Never Seen Photos" or "Historical Photos".  I mean a picture of a well-known actress wearing a tee-shirt with "My P...y, My choice" is a bit too much."

Posted this morning in the What Irked you Today, Off-Topic forum.

My apologies. Those are explicitly prohibited in our settings too. 

The ads are irritating, but not as irritating as photo bucket's large grey band across every picture.

Guys, you can load pictures directly into posts from your PC to avoid photobucket. What is the point in placing a picture on a site where at least a third is greyed out when you go to look at it?

I propose a Win-Win solution:

Ad Nauseum is a browser extension that clicks on every ad that it finds on every website that you visit. But you NEVER see the ads that it clicks on.

So in one way, it acts like an adblocker. But it also punishes advertisers by making them pay Google or whoever for pushing their ads.

My desktop box is 12 years old, the memory maxxed out at 8GB, not ever upgrading from Win7 Pro. I ran Ad Nauseum for 3 or 4 months and ultimately couldn't handle the way it slowed my old computer down but do remember that in 2 or 3 weeks it had clicked 10,000 ads which i never had to see. That was great fun!

If your device can handle the drag on resources it might be worth consideration.

https://adnauseam.io/            *IS* available on Chrome. Click on the Chrome logo at the linked page.

In the meantime, i'm with Painted Black.

Edited by Elmer Fudd

14 minutes ago, Elmer Fudd said:

I propose a Win-Win solution:

Ad Nauseum is a browser extension that clicks on every ad that it finds on every website that you visit. But you NEVER see the ads that it clicks on.

So in one way, it acts like an adblocker. But it also punishes advertisers by making them pay Google or whoever for pushing their ads.

My desktop box is 12 years old, the memory maxxed out at 8GB, not ever upgrading from Win7 Pro. I ran Ad Nauseum for 3 or 4 months and ultimately couldn't handle the way it slowed my old computer down but do remember that in 2 or 3 weeks it had clicked 10,000 ads which i never had to see. That was great fun!

If your device can handle the drag on resources it might be worth consideration.            

https://adnauseam.io/            *IS* available on Chrome. Click on the Chrome logo at the linked page.

In the meantime, i'm with Painted Black.

Thanks for the , um , " ad hoc" advice ?

On 9/30/2020 at 11:22 AM, 1972coronet said:

Those "Times Square" , "Freemont Street Experience" ads have been around for at least a month , if not a bit longer . 99.9% they're NOT even related to anything in this forum ! 

Beauty salons , and the such , ads have NO PLACE here , period . And , the fact that their placements are so arbitrary only makes their presence even worse !

Advertising has become an overbearing practise over the last 20 , 25 years ---- who's their target audience ? As a member of Gen-X ( Blank Generation , et al. ) , I'm not finding anything relatable in these ads . Matter-of-fact , I'll go out of my way to NOT purchase from these corporations , even if their product is something I may otherwise be interested in . 

It doesn't help that ISPs sometimes hijack the ad slot and deliver their own ads. Neither of those ads came from us. I can't find them anywhere in our ad pool and we don't serve adult-oriented ads. It doesn't help that a lot of advertisers game the system by misclassifying their ads. 

I'm looking at alternatives and hope to pick one shortly. If anyone has any experience there, I'd love to hear it. 

On 10/2/2020 at 7:34 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

It doesn't help that ISPs sometimes hijack the ad slot and deliver their own ads. Neither of those ads came from us. I can't find them anywhere in our ad pool and we don't serve adult-oriented ads. It doesn't help that a lot of advertisers game the system by misclassifying their ads. 

I'm looking at alternatives and hope to pick one shortly. If anyone has any experience there, I'd love to hear it. 

Hi Dave, the ads I'm getting today are all phishing links ending .website

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Hi Dave, the ads I'm getting today are all phishing links ending .website

There's a teeny little icon inside the ads for reporting those. I suggest you do that. I'll go in an block them from our side, but that will be temporary relief at best.