Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who Has all the molds ?

Don't forget Palmer, Pyro and Lindberg.

ITC (Ideal) tooling wound up with Glencoe.

Much of Lindberg and Pyro tooling wound up with Round2.

And remember the Matchbox line of 1:32 scale kits?  That tooling went to Revell.

Related to this discussion, promo diecast banks originally produced by Banthrico had been reissued from time to time by Cutting Edge Industries, so some of that tooling might still exist, and the tooling for PMC (Product Miniature Corp) plastic promos has been rumored to have still existed.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:55 AM, Greg Myers said:

Yes. I agree. No need to continually discuss anything we've talked about before. No one could possibly come up with any new information now could they? Anyone new to the board or anyone that hasn't seen any of the older threads locked away in the boards great search engine shouldn't concern themselves. After all we know better, now don't we.?

I concur with your frustration! I remember I asked a similar question a few years ago, when I was a newbie, and got slammed and put in my place because "how dare I innocently ask a question that the entire world (but me) must already know."

Although, I must say Greg, You got out a lot more new information than I did back then!

Round 2 and Atlantis continue to surprise us with new announcements of "long lost" kits from way back when - so there may hope of unique stuff coming back in my lifetime!

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Time marches on and every time an old topic gets revisited, new info comes to light. It’s called crowd sourcing.

Besides, this isn’t a stagnant archive with material locked down, it’s an interactive forum where people want to discuss the topic!   

If only we could get a few more people to understand this. Thanks for posting Tom 

On 10/5/2020 at 9:06 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Time marches on and every time an old topic gets revisited, new info comes to light. It’s called crowd sourcing.

Besides, this isn’t a stagnant archive with material locked down, it’s an interactive forum where people want to discuss the topic!   

I totally agree. But others don't.  I see others commenting in the negative when someone brings up an old topic for the umpteenth time.   Maybe their negativity is because they think their word is the final say.  Well sorry to break their hearts, but  that's what this forum is all about .  For people to talk about topics whether or not they have been duplicated already.  That's how we get more up to date info.  If we didn't have that there would be no  purpose for this message board.

Edited by GMP440

Glencoe Models has a neat gallery of built-ups, mostly the old ITC kits.  Not much here for car fans, but you can see some great builds of stuff like a weathered Convair 880 in the Boneyard, Bell Convertiplane, Piasecki Air Geep and many rocket ship kits. There are also some photos of the real subjects.

http://www.glencoemodels.com/Gallery/TheGallery.html

11 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I totally agree. But others don't.  I see others commenting in the negative when someone brings up an old topic for the umpteenth time.   Maybe their negativity is because they think their word is the final say.  Well sorry to break their hearts, but  that's what this forum is all about .  For people to talk about topics whether or not they have been duplicated already.  That's how we get more up to date info.  If we didn't have that there would be no  purpose for this message board.

The people who complain about this board should be sentenced to 30 days hard time on the Facebook model boards!

The same very basic questions come up daily, things like “do I really need primer?”  and paint mishaps like you never saw before!  And when people try to help they argue back!

11 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I don't think most folks get upset about bringing up old topics. It is the starting a new topic every year so that 90% of the new posts are the same from the other topics. As someone who works behind the curtain on this board, I would much rather see someone go to the end of one of the existing threads and say "Anyone hear anything new?"

Then we always hear about how old the date on the thread is and how it my dissuade some from reading it. This is from people who build kits manufactured in '70s.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

I don't think most folks get upset about bringing up old topics. It is the starting a new topic every year so that 90% of the new posts are the same from the other topics. As someone who works behind the curtain on this board, I would much rather see someone go to the end of one of the existing threads and say "Anyone hear anything new?"

Then we always hear about how old the date on the thread is and how it my dissuade some from reading it. This is from people who build kits manufactured in '70s.

In reference to your first paragraph.  The search feature does not work well on this site.  To sit there and go through pages and pages of info to see if something has been discussed takes too long and  just not productive.  There are new people that come on this site.  They would have no idea that what they want to bring up has been discussed before.  That's why we see this repetion.

In reference to your second paragraph;  I don't know if just people who build kits from the 70's.  It probably comes from people who build kits manufactured in the 60's 70's, 80's 90's, etc as well.  Now , things are changing very fast in the car model hobby.  Kits are coming out faster,  new kit manufactures ie Salvinos, Atlantis , etc are coming on board.  So yes, these out dated threads will come up more frequently.

Edited by GMP440

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

The people who complain about this board should be sentenced to 30 days hard time on the Facebook model boards!

The same very basic questions come up daily, things like “do I really need primer?”  and paint mishaps like you never saw before!  And when people try to help they argue back!

And then, when they are paroled they have to do community service on the Palmer models Facebook page.

1 hour ago, Xingu said:

I agree. Well said.  Frustrating when the same person has started multiple topics that are all the same question...

Edited by Muncie

+1million. 
There’s an easy search using google for forum posted in here somewhere on sticky. Bill wrote it, should be in this sub forum as well. I’ll look since sloth runs high lately. 

Dave V, those shots may have been the 68 300 convertible and the 68 Imperial. Late run of promos in 70-80’s somewhere. I got a couple then, made 68 Imperial convert using a spare. They also did the 68 DeVille convert kit, possibly a similar coupe promo? All about same time. 
Will add search link in a min. 
Pin this here perhaps. 

Thanks and credit to Bill E. 

Edited by keyser
Linky for lazy

14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Glencoe Models has a neat gallery of built-ups, mostly the old ITC kits.  Not much here for car fans, but you can see some great builds of stuff like a weathered Convair 880 in the Boneyard, Bell Convertiplane, Piasecki Air Geep and many rocket ship kits. There are also some photos of the real subjects.

http://www.glencoemodels.com/Gallery/TheGallery.html

They do have some neat small-scale car kits. 

41 minutes ago, Brian Austin said:

They do have some neat small-scale car kits. 

True, but where are the molds for ITC's 1/25 scale models of the '40 Mercury and '51 Ford and the '56 Lincoln Premieres?  Or the larger scaled '56 Continental, '30s Duesenberg and '50s Oldsmobile and Corvette?  They may not be up to today's standards for detail but nostalgia buyers don't seem to have a problem buying anything that's been reissued in recent years. I know I would buy them all! 

And where are the molds for the rarely seen 1/25 Renwal "Golden" Lola T70 and Chaparral 2? Atlantis, via Revell, I presume? 

Edited by jokar124

I have the ITC Jaguar coupe and wonder if there would ever be a market for that series of largish-scaled sports car kits.  Those were nothing particularly special in terms of detail or accuracy, though they did offer some interesting subjects.

As far as the other kits mentioned, perhaps a polite email to Glencoe might be in order.

Brian, you're right about interesting subjects!  To this day, only ITC has ever kitted a Pegaso,Talbot, Ferrari Barchetta and Mercedes "180"  (I still say it's a 300). Unfortunately, that series was too toylike, even then, for serious modellers, although I think they were better than nearly all Palmer or Premier kits of the day.

I think the ITC 1/25 Fomoco cars I mentioned previously might be of interest to replica-stock builders (with a lot of work) and especially  custom car builders. I just might send that email!

Edited by jokar124