Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1979 Chevy Nova, Stock Version

doorsovdoon

This is the MPC Squad Rod release of the '79 Chevrolet Nova Hatchback. It can be built as an extremely nice looking stock version right out of the box. There wasn't a single fit issue, the kit went together like Lego. The only changes I made was using wheels from the 1966 Oldsmobile 442, and adding a vinyl top, which created quite the stir in WIP! I did the vinyl roof seam by placing two strips of masking tape close to each other, leaving a gap in-between then sprayed two coats of filler primer. The roof texture is done by spraying aerosol from a distance. The body colour is Jade Green metallic with Glacier White roof and Arctic white and Hazelnut interior. The wheels that come with the kit, choice of stock or custom, the stock wheels are very accurate and well detailed, I just chose the Old's 442 Magnum 500's out of preference. Thanks for following along in WIP and getting involved, man did everyone get involved! xD I love threads like that, I'm already looking forward to the next carpet bombing, haha!

20201001_101248.JPG

20201001_101307.JPG

20201001_101440.JPG

Very nice! I enjoyed following along on this build. And it ends well. 

A side story- back in the day my father would bring home company cars that were ready for sale. We did buy a few. One time he brought home a Nova hatchback like this, I don’t remember the year of it. What stood out was that the hatch was nearly rusted off the car! It couldn’t have been more than five years old and was a salesman car based in New York City. We didn’t buy that one!

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks great Gareth, it turned out very nicely.

Certainly made me have thoughts about mine and bring it forwards in the queue somewhat, to the extent that an engine donor arrived this week.

Thanks, Nigel. I'd love to see one done using the more detailed chassis and the correct engine. I'll keep an eye out:)

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very nice! I enjoyed following along on this build. And it ends well. 

A side story- back in the day my father would bring home company cars that were ready for sale. We did buy a few. One time he brought home a Nova hatchback like this, I don’t remember the year of it. What stood out was that the hatch was nearly rusted off the car! It couldn’t have been more than five years old and was a salesman car based in New York City. We didn’t buy that one!

Thanks, Tom. Yeah, cars from the 70's were real rust buckets. My uncle had a Chrysler Alpine in the mid 80's and the hatchback was so rotten it literally broke away from the lower window frame.

Another beautiful looking build. I'm glad you're good natured about everyone's personal input, including my own, on this model.   Remarkably  accurate looking Nova and the color is very close to one that was used at the time. While the chassis is on the basic side your color touches to the drive shaft and other areas make it look much better. Look forward to your next build. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Another beautiful looking build. I'm glad you're good natured about everyone's personal input, including my own, on this model.   Remarkably  accurate looking Nova and the color is very close to one that was used at the time. While the chassis is on the basic side your color touches to the drive shaft and other areas make it look much better. Look forward to your next build. 

Thanks, Dave. I enjoy hearing people story's and memories, and the knowledge is always welcome. Yes, the underside is pretty basic but the detail is there, although moulded in, it's quite prominent and can be picked out easily.