Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

I've always liked the marque, these new designs are horrendous. They seem to be way overpriced nowadays. I had an E36, it get to be very expensive to maintain. I gave it to my daughter and she totaled it (she was unhurt) and the insurance gave me twice what a dealer was offering me on trade-in two years previous! -RRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My E36 M3 was reliable for the most part, I should have kept it but I didn't have any place to store it after a move...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, DonW said:

They began to go downhill after the eighties in my opinion, though the E34 5 series and E46 3 series were OK.

Chris Bangle has a lot to answer for!

Bangle may have kick started the uglifying trend but he's been gone from BMW for a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

My E36 M3 was reliable for the most part, I should have kept it but I didn't have any place to store it after a move...

my e21 316 was the most dangerous car i ever had, I jacked it up one day and the front suspension came through the bonnet. Another 5 mins and i would have been under it. cant complain though, it cost less than some of my kits,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

my e21 316 was the most dangerous car i ever had, I jacked it up one day and the front suspension came through the bonnet. Another 5 mins and i would have been under it. cant complain though, it cost less than some of my kits,

My E36 was only 2 years old w/ 16k miles when I bought it, no rust while I owned it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I've always liked the marque, these new designs are horrendous. They seem to be way overpriced nowadays. I had an E36, it get to be very expensive to maintain. I gave it to my daughter and she totaled it (she was unhurt) and the insurance gave me twice what a dealer was offering me on trade-in two years previous! -RRR

I'm glad she was OK. I'd feel safe in an E36, I knew I was safe in my E30 'cos I hit the Armco at 80 mph in it and walked away unharmed, and in a 2002 I rolled into a dry stone wall once years ago. Not that I walked away from that! The metal was better back then. My E34 is very solid too, but my E46 was not quite the same, the beginning of the end...

I was fortunate to do the Mille Miglia Storica with my dad in his 1934 M45 Lagonda. We chased one of these for many miles through winding mountain roads at entertaining speeds and the die was cast for me: 

.image.jpeg.6679439fc2589bdb772fdac2208fce86.jpeg

BMW 328. 

The new ones I wouldn't be seem dead in!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if these new BMW's come with indicators? You know, those things that flash to tell other drivers which way you intend on going;) I'm sure the only controls in a BMW is a button that says Go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

I wonder if these new BMW's come with indicators? You know, those things that flash to tell other drivers which way you intend on going;) I'm sure the only controls in a BMW is a button that says Go!

I've always assumed they were an extra cost option, and instead you get a buzzer to let you know when you are a couplee mm from the car in fronts rear bumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop it!

They used to be good cars. Buy an old BM and look after it, but most of all drive it, it's what it was built for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I wonder if these new BMW's come with indicators? You know, those things that flash to tell other drivers which way you intend on going;) I'm sure the only controls in a BMW is a button that says Go!

it's like the joke: What is the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? Unfortunately, there are a number of BMW drivers who are...shall we say...overly aggressive and assertive! 

As the owner of a BMW motorcycle, I am glad that the styling departments have not been cross-pollinating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a study done in England that concluded that men under the age of 50 who drove Blue BMWs were the most likely to suffer from road rage. I drove a blue BMW at the time (though over 50) so all my friend kept pointing out this study. I just told them to not P-O the drivers of blue BMWs and they wouldn't have any problems. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.7af7980c24fc4ca0f0d619a1ce581106.jpeg

Anyone remember this advert from the 1970s? For some reason it was banned...😎

Also this - backwards writing on the air dam so the driver of the car you're about to overtake can see it in the rear view mirror:

image.jpeg.7a2078707c4290577cd0cf410d59617f.jpeg

I do use my headlight flasher a lot on motorways on those people who hog the outside lane for no reason. My current daily driver BMW is green - and I'm 62! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see a nice thread like this. Lots of BMW guys. And a Lagonda guy 😎

E9, E28, E30-39, E52, E90-93 really the best of BMW imo. Had F82 GTS and really paled to the 8 in the E90 M3 my wife ran. 
New 3’s are nice, but bigger than an E39. Like that 2020 in here. Drive it in health. 
The 4-5-6-8 are enormous. The M6 and M8 racecars just look odd to me. M8 quick but not fun to toss, M4 has more room. 
Money to be made off front end kits for these. I saw the G05 x5 and got wife last F85 x5 I could find. I dislike huge grilles. 

Ancient bad cell pic. E39M5 not clean for pic. E38 was 750iL sport, like x5 the last order before Bangle trash. Likely 2003. 
 

C9BFE923-1461-486C-8609-4C525A102D1F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the old BMW- kidneys were a bit smaller:

1.jpg

 

 

Here, how much smaller:

2.jpg

 

 

 

Well, I think it depends on the model and its size, otherwise it would look strange...

3.jpg

 

 

 

And the WEB is full of more or less funny pictures of what the future of BMWs could look like:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.png

 

 

 

The BMW designers just have to be careful that it doesn't remind the front viewer of this:

8.jpg

 

 

 

 

The real question is, which grill would decorate the four-series BMW better, above now, below a possible variant...

9.jpg

 

 

 

Well...

It's all a question of your own taste...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hadn’t seen most of those. Gold. 
Brak is coming back, his eyes and mouth remind me of M

 

F623A156-E4D4-453A-82FA-09E6970E9AD3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone should hold up a picture of a '49 - '53 Buick and you'll see where BMW got its inspiration for the "New Design" of their grill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent the Buick to my BMW dealer gm. He laughed and told me I’ll pay sticker next time. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, espo said:

Someone should hold up a picture of a '49 - '53 Buick and you'll see where BMW got its inspiration for the "New Design" of their grill.  

Oh wow, you're right!

Like peas in a pod :D :D

spacer.png

BMW should probably win an award for "most aggressively sneering car of the decade".

All kidding aside, I think BMW is going for shock and awe, following the example of the Lexus Predator-face grilles.  Whether it "looks good"or not is perhaps a tertiary concern..."People will be polarized at first, but it will grow on them."

If that thing grew on me, I'd consult my doctor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, keyser said:

I sent the Buick to my BMW dealer gm. He laughed and told me I’ll pay sticker next time. 🤣

So you actually sent the Buick idea to your BMW Dealer ?  Sounds like he has a sense of humor anyway.  But I think you can see the "Family" resemblance between the two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Oh wow, you're right!

Like peas in a pod :D :D

spacer.png

BMW should probably win an award for "most aggressively sneering car of the decade".

All kidding aside, I think BMW is going for shock and awe, following the example of the Lexus Predator-face grilles.  Whether it "looks good"or not is perhaps a tertiary concern..."People will be polarized at first, but it will grow on them."

If that thing grew on me, I'd consult my doctor!

Nice photo shop here. That's a face only an Orthodontist could appreciate .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, espo said:

So you actually sent the Buick idea to your BMW Dealer ?  Sounds like he has a sense of humor anyway.  But I think you can see the "Family" resemblance between the two. 

Yep. They consider me an annuity. 
Good friend. Knows my dark humor. 
I sent a 51, rudest of the bunch. 49-50 were nice as was 53 Riv. 
This is a great BMW. And it’s a wagon. 
M3 wagon may come here. I’m a wagon guy. Big wheels so don’t let the mobility scooter guys see it 🤣
 

77207DB8-C85A-44B5-BFA6-5C8AD4268BAB.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grew on ya like a fungus. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I spit Diet Dew on my phone. 
Fun thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, keyser said:

Yep. They consider me an annuity. 
Good friend. Knows my dark humor. 
I sent a 51, rudest of the bunch. 49-50 were nice as was 53 Riv. 
This is a great BMW. And it’s a wagon. 
M3 wagon may come here. I’m a wagon guy. Big wheels so don’t let the mobility scooter guys see it 🤣
 

77207DB8-C85A-44B5-BFA6-5C8AD4268BAB.png

That's a beautiful looking car. I have always liked the BMW line but when ever I was in a financial position to get one I needed a different type of vehicle, usually an extra nice pickup. With the black colored grill it doesn't standout so much  I also like the color combination. While it's hardly the same thing, the last car we got was a Charger to replace our '10 Charger, and it's also all white with the black grill and center bumper area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...