Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey all, I was hoping to get some input from you guys on the best route of attack for repairing this, I don’t have the missing piece either. I wouldn’t worry about it if it was a common kit but being a Johan AMX I’d really like to save it. Thanks in advance for the help...

22D91AB6-F6C3-4791-A0D9-1625A04FBD17.jpeg

3008C36F-13AD-44F4-8054-95D8718C752C.jpeg

I’m guessing you would have to scratch make a new repair section from Sprue or styrene. Or possibly find another model to donate a chunk? I would file the broken ends flat with maybe a slight outward tilt so the new piece can be pressed in tight and glued with a small dab of thin cement. Others may have better gluing options?

I have a couple JoHan Mavericks with exactly the same problem. Here's what I'm gonna try: 

1. Using an intact body, take a silicone putty mold of the entire A-pillar. 

2. Tape the silicone mold on the damaged body. 

3. Fill the missing area with J-B Weld. Resin would work if you have that. That UV-glue stuff might work, too. 

I have an unbuilt copy of this kit if you'd like me to try making a silicone mold for you. Email me at SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com

I'll assume that you don't have another AMX body just laying around. That precludes you from from:

1. trashing it in order to cut a chunk from its A pillar to fix this one

2. making any kind of silicone mold of an intact RH A pillar

Just fabricate a new one using styrene strip. It's a lot easier than you might think.

I would either make one as stated above, or check your stash for a donor body to steal one from.

This is not a particularly unusual A pillar shape.

Just about any car from about 1969 and up will have roughly the same type of pillar.

Should be a relatively easy fix.

Steve

Thanks guys, I have a pretty bad 69 Cougar body that would probably be a good donor....

To the above fixes I would suggest using a narrow flat strip of brass behind the fix to add strength to the repair.

Cheers Misha

Instead of trying to form the whole thing from one piece I would make it from three thinner strips. Make the center strip first and get the roof level and the shape down then add the outer strips.

I wonder if one could get the profile of the pillar, and file it into a piece of metal in order to pass a styrene strip under it.  Then use the "tool" to scrape a strip of styrene to create a long strip of repair material...

Brian that sounds like that would be more work but a stronger post for sure could be worth the effort.

Mark you mean to make a mold of sorts? That’s an interesting idea, I bet it would be hard to get that profile right...

Posted (edited)

Are you hoping to repair it in place, or are you going to disassemble the model? I think some careful work with a 3 corner file and some sandpaper would be the easiest. The scraper method would work also, but it would be more work making the scraper  than the part.🤔

E59691F4-CE1F-49F5-9F65-97F8652FDA81.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

You could always use one of the pinup girl figures from master box to cover the damaged area. Lol 

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Are you hoping to repair it in place, or are you going to disassemble the model? I think some careful work with a 3 corner file and some sandpaper would be the easiest. The scraper method would work also, but it would be more work making the scraper  than the part.🤔

I am disassembling it, it is currently apart now, I think what I'm going to do is try this post I have out of the old Cougar body and if I'm not happy with the way it is fitting then I'll take a trip to HL to get some styrene stripping.

48 minutes ago, jamesG said:

You could always use one of the pinup girl figures from master box to cover the damaged area. Lol 

I'm sure my wife would prefer I didn't use a pin up girl LOL.....

Would it be possible to make a mold of the other side and then cast a piece that could be used as a starting point? I can see it in my head but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

I’ve got this donor piece out of the cougar I think it’s going to work really good

AC573DA1-0F32-42E2-9CAC-42815F3BC2B9.jpeg

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Would it be possible to make a mold of the other side and then cast a piece that could be used as a starting point? I can see it in my head but I can't think of a better way to explain it.

You're right. Make a mold of the left pillar. When the mold is rotated so the top is at the bottom. it would be a mirror image of the right side. Place the rotated mold over the right side pillar and fill the area where the missing section is with resin or get one of those acrylic nail sets with the powder and resin and use that.

Edited by SfanGoch

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

You're right. Make a mold of the left pillar. When the mold is rotated so the top is at the bottom. it would be a mirror image of the right side. Place the rotated mold over the right side pillar and fill the area where the missing section is with resin or get one of those acrilic nail sets with the powder and resin and use that.

Yeah, and if you could put a pin in each of the broken edges before casting the new part in place, it would add strength. 

I have a wide assortment of quarter round, half round, and all shapes and sizes of strip styrene.  With patience and planning you can make your own.  I've had to do more than a few myself.

I made the last ones out of sheet styrene.  I carefully scored the lines into it with a panel scriber, and then curved them slightly. It took several attempts to get the spacing right.  I cut the old a-pillars back right up to the roof and cowl. 20200615_175718.jpg.f8b0b441e0143b8aba91c2fc12edb602.jpgBoth a-pillars were broken on this old AMT Chevelle. 

15 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I made the last ones out of sheet styrene.  I carefully scored the lines into it with a panel scriber, and then curved them slightly. It took several attempts to get the spacing right.  I cut the old a-pillars back right up to the roof and cowl. 20200615_175718.jpg.f8b0b441e0143b8aba91c2fc12edb602.jpgBoth a-pillars were broken on this old AMT Chevelle. 

Finished product looks great, I have some sheet styrene I may have to give it a try that way and see what I end up with, thanks

Well it’s coming along nicely, definitely not my best work but surely not my worst. Little more detail work on the scribing and I should be in pretty good shape

83E43898-C85E-49BB-8DE0-87E0E538A123.jpeg

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice job on that repair.👍

Thank you.....