Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

On 12/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, pack rat said:

I just finished building a display kit, and it was virtually flawless.  The body was so clean I just gave it a quick sand/primer/paint; no puttying sink marks, sanding mold lines etc.  I believe Round2 will post pics of the build-up soon.

Is this the one, Mike? ?

AMTChevyIICraftsman.jpg.854b1fc9609f3cacfd1d7ba2f598369c.jpg

On 11/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Not from original drawings which wouldn’t exist today,  but reversed engineering off a surviving kit.  Pretty elementary work today.

And right on the MO of Round 2, Tom Lowe started the whole enterprise by reverse engineering the old Aurora monster kits under the Polar Lights label.  

If this is successful, then anything is possible!

With a 3-D scanner and old-fashioned drafting tools to double-check (like dividers, calipers, and similar), it isn't a challenge at all.

I'm still willing to bet some of the lost 1958-mid '60s annuals will re-surface in some form, especially if they're either high-dollar kits or ones that are readily usable for lots of variants, like the 1962-'63 Pontiac Tempest.

Charlie Larkin

Yeah, I have one on pre-order, might have to make that two. A nice small block and a set of rally wheels and it will look like the one in my mind, the second one would be stock, unless that pro street 66 Nova chassis fits underneath, then maybe a third is in order?

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

With a 3-D scanner and old-fashioned drafting tools to double-check (like dividers, calipers, and similar), it isn't a challenge at all.

I'm still willing to bet some of the lost 1958-mid '60s annuals will re-surface in some form, especially if they're either high-dollar kits or ones that are readily usable for lots of variants, like the 1962-'63 Pontiac Tempest.

Charlie Larkin

I whole heartedly agree.   We will be seeing alot AMT and MPC old annuals up to and including the late 60's being produced because of 3D printing.  A very exciting time for the model car builders.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

AMTChevyIICraftsman.jpg.854b1fc9609f3cacfd1d7ba2f598369c.jpg

41fd5777523b8a2247193e1412496f45.jpg.29fa497e9f1eae80bebd18a94d1c9305.jpg8733320-1963-chevrolet-nova-ii-wagon-std

37 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

It seems to me that the grille fit the original body better than the new one.  Compare the picture above with those on page 2.

Other than the little wrap-around piece (which never looked like an ideal fit into the body pocket on the original kits, either), and maybe a slightly too thick headlight trim ring and a tad bit too much brow above the windshield, it all looks good to me.

Mike's build up is one one the best I think I've ever seen, and it passes the (my) eye test easily.

Edited by Casey

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Other than the little wrap-around piece (which never looked like an ideal fit into the body pocket on the original kits, either), and maybe a slightly too thick headlight trim ring and a tad bit too much brow above the windshield, it all looks good to me.

Mike's build up is one one the best I think I've ever seen, and it passes the (my) eye test easily.

Agreed. Though I see a couple other nits to pick (like the little depression stamped in the fender just over the end of the side-trim being shaped wrong and kinda huge), nothing significant. I'll be having a few.

There are so many ways to do a wagon that this should be a big hit with the market.

No problem with it having the old-school blobular chassis, either. The bits are out there to deal with that should anybody want to go full-detail, but as a curbside it looks great as-is.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Agreed. Though I see a couple other nits to pick (like the little depression stamped in the fender just over the end of the side-trim being shaped wrong and kinda huge), nothing significant. I'll be having a few.

Agree also:  it's not perfect.  But it sure as hades beats all the other early 60's Nova station wagon kits we've had to choose from the past 50 years, huh?  

Cute little devil!! 

I'm READY.  Bring it on!

??

12 minutes ago, Danno said:

it sure as hell beats all the other early 60's Nova station wagon kits we've had to choose from the past 50 years

This release is all about availability and price point. In the same condition, there are so few original kits available, and when one can be found, it'll be at a price point far higher than this kit will retail for. $30 is a great value for this subject in new* kit form. Original kits will still command a premium, as this forthcoming kit is not a reissue.

Better image of the box bottom:

amt63chevyIInew.jpg.fe33789337c6b111cbeba1429b884c38.jpg

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

This release is all about availability and price point. In the same condition, there are so few original kits available, and when one can be found, it'll be at a price point far higher than this kit will retail for. $30 is a great value for this subject in new* kit form. Original kits will still command a premium, as this forthcoming kit is not a reissue.

Better image of the box bottom:

amt63chevyIInew.jpg.fe33789337c6b111cbeba1429b884c38.jpg

D'oh!  I were two stoopit to no dat.

Tanks.

??

(I'll still buy several of the new one; other people can pay crazy stupid money for virtually the same thing in a much older box.)

21 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Yeah, I have one on pre-order, might have to make that two. A nice small block and a set of rally wheels and it will look like the one in my mind, the second one would be stock, unless that pro street 66 Nova chassis fits underneath, then maybe a third is in order?

Where did you pre order it?