Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

On 10/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, espo said:

I'd be interested in any additional information about the 1958 annuals that you can share. I would love to do a big ol '58 Pontiac Bonneville.  

Anyone ever notice the kit has one too many hashmarks? I also believe the kit says "Pontiac" on the front of the hood instead of "Bonneville".

AMT/SMP 1958 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE HT ORIGINAL BODY & GLASS! NICE!! CIRCA 1958!  | #18540323561958 Pontiac Bonneville Series 25 | conceptcarz.com

Edited by Repstock

On 12/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, Repstock said:

Anyone ever notice the kit has one too many hashmarks? I also believe the kit says "Pontiac" on the front of the hood instead of "Bonneville".

You're correct.

Speculation is that this was one of the examples where the "cart was ahead of the horse".

Apparently, the model was finalized and ready for production, or may have already been on the market, before the plans for the 1:1 Bonneville were final.

Seems that this sort of thing happened on occasion back in the day.

image.jpeg.62799c95452421ea96b406d4b5e7dedd.jpeg

Steve

8 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I worked for the dealership --back in the 90's-- which sponsored that car ! 

DonNicholsonbfxChevyIIwagon-vi.jpg.0e8bfbd4bce4206a750e0cbdb8246849.jpg 

There ya go! Maybe Round 2 will include the decals in the full detail kit, or even come out with a dedicated boxing, which would further secure Nicholson's title of "Most Kitted Drag Racer of All Time." (I questioned that claim here a couple years ago, and it turns out that no one was able to come up with anyone else who had more kits--not Garlits, not Prudhomme, not anybody. Amazingly, it's true!) :blink:

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

There ya go! Maybe Round 2 will include the decals in the full detail kit, or even come out with a dedicated boxing,

That would be GREAT !  For the life of me , I can't remember which engine powered it (perhaps a then-new 327 ? A compact car in B/FX would "have to" be a small-displacement V8 , no ?) .

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yah, I think it was a 327, maybe a Corvette engine. The Dyno Don book has some details and a couple halfway decent pics of it. 

Just found this 

"I know it's geeky, but this is still my favorite. What, is Don Nicholson about 7 feet tall? Am I seeing a 4 lug front end with a 5 lug rear? Some funky front fender flare work and probably some torch work in the rear wheel wells. I'd like to know from any primary source to be sure, but I think this was a '62 fuelie 327 under the hood and a T-10 4-speed. Don't know what the rear is. Front clip paint doesn't exactly match the Ermine White on the rest of the body, so it may be fiberglass. With an unlimited budget and tons of garage space, I think this would be what I would want to build, with no parts made after 1963."

Early Nova/Chevy ll Funny Cars | Chevy Nova Forum

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

According to the DD book, engine was a 360-hp 327 fuelie, ".060 overbore," Jardine headers, and so forth. Rear end was a full-size cut-down 4.56. 

Now we need colors. Like interior and lettering. Hopefully someone can make those decals for us Drag types. 

"Don Steve's Chevrolet" and "Dyno...Nicholson" are red. The other lettering is black or perhaps a dark blue. 

Very hard to tell interior color. The steering wheel looks like it COULD be a medium/light blue, which I do believe was a standard interior color. 

On 12/27/2020 at 8:22 PM, Snake45 said:

Yah, I think it was a 327, maybe a Corvette engine. The Dyno Don book has some details and a couple halfway decent pics of it. 

It was a small block Chevy for sure. My original kit is lost somewhere but the real car was supposed to accept a 283 yet didn't appear until 1964. Then a 327 in 1965.

On 12/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, Repstock said:

AMT/SMP 1958 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE HT ORIGINAL BODY & GLASS! NICE!! CIRCA 1958!  | #18540323561958 Pontiac Bonneville Series 25 | conceptcarz.com

They also got the colors backwards on my remote control promo ;)

1958 Bonneville remote control car 02.jpg

12 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

It was a small block Chevy for sure. My original kit is lost somewhere but the real car was supposed to accept a 283 yet didn't appear until 1964. Then a 327 in 1965.

AMT jumped the gun a bit - the '63 Nova hardtop/convertible kits featured a nicely-molded 327/stick combo; I picked up one for my '65 (changed it to Powerglide). It should drop right into the new wagon kit if it's as good a match as it looks.

ChrisBcritter nailed it, the '63 hardtop and convertible annual kits had 327 V8 engines (but "6" crests on the front fenders as I recall).  Chevy wasn't putting V8 engines in Novas for '63 but AMT probably did so to goose the sales on the kits.  

On 12/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Snake45 said:

I'm hoping someone does decals for Don Nicholson's FX racer. If they do, I'll be buying three kits. 

Yah, I know, Dyno Don's was a '62. Close enough. 

Speedway Decals has what you want. $6.00 including shipping. 

IMG_20210102_075107300.jpg

15 hours ago, keyser said:

63 nova kit had SS trim iirc but I forget if it had 6 or 8. No 64 and 65 was curbside. Guess it had 8. Too long since I looked. 

15 hours ago, Mark said:

ChrisBcritter nailed it, the '63 hardtop and convertible annual kits had 327 V8 engines (but "6" crests on the front fenders as I recall).  Chevy wasn't putting V8 engines in Novas for '63 but AMT probably did so to goose the sales on the kits.  

Yes! Chevy didn’t put a V8 into the Nova until 1964.  Also of note is that the 1962 kit isn’t a Nova.. just a Chevy II.  The Nova name was first used in 1963.

1 hour ago, roadhawg said:

Speedway Decals has what you want. $6.00 including shipping. 

IMG_20210102_075107300.jpg

That's pretty darn close, but the "Largest...Habra" line should be in the black or dark blue. 

Still, I might get a set of these. Thanks! B)