Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1963 Chevy II Nova Station Wagon - Craftsman Plus

Casey

On 3/18/2021 at 3:25 PM, Classicgas said:

All of it is completely new tooling. Its basically reverse engineered. See Tim Boyd's review elsewhere on the forum. 

Being 16 years of my early adult years was spent in the plastics molding process and tool making.  I can spot the areas of the tool AKA the master that was repaired.  Doesn't make it any less... I was simply pointing out  if anyone actually cares.  "Comparing Apples to oranges"... Fact it doesn't matter either way,  Its a breath of fresh air to see some thing off the norm for a build subject and no matter what minor "tool marks" I described . The production is appreciated. 

On 3/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Luc Janssens said:

So a prime example that it takes money to make money.

Possibly, but now we'll never have a straight reissue of the original version to compare...but I think you are correct, Luc. 😉

At any rate, it seemed clear this kit had a great number of folks here on the forum interested, so I think the sales volume reflects that. I do wonder what effect the later, forthcoming fuller-detail version will have in terms of sales (either compared to this first, curbside kit, or sales numbers totaled for both), but I guess we'll see once that one arrives. I think most active members here are aware there's another version coming, but I doubt the general public does.

I'm just glad to see this kit was a success.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:45 PM, Casey said:

Possibly, but now we'll never have a straight reissue of the original version to compare...but I think you are correct, Luc. 😉

At any rate, it seemed clear this kit had a great number of folks here on the forum interested, so I think the sales volume reflects that. I do wonder what effect the later, forthcoming fuller-detail version will have in terms of sales (either compared to this first, curbside kit, or sales numbers totaled for both), but I guess we'll see once that one arrives. I think most active members here are aware there's another version coming, but I doubt the general public does.

I'm just glad to see this kit was a success.

No straight answers on Spotlight either.  I commented that it may be a heavy restoration on the existing body tool, but then the so-called "experts" shot me down saying it's a brsad new "cloned" copy of the original.  I suggested that if they can clone kits, why do the Nova wagon instead lf the '67 Galaxie fastback, AMT '65 Impala, '59 Chevy Brookwood wagon, '72 Gran Prix, etc.

I brought up the Johan question as well by saying they should clone those too.  After an initial 'that would too toxic to bring up again' response, I get crickets.  If Okey owns the branding, then lets clone those kits too.  Or, are we stepping too much on Johan collector's toes here? lol! 

It's surprising we can't get any clear answers.  Why all the disinformation? Is the Nova Station wagon a completely new cloned body of the original or not?

Edited by the other Mike S.

10 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

No straight answers on Spotlight either.  I commented that it may be a heavy restoration on the existing body tool, but then the so-called "experts" shot me down saying it's a brsad new "cloned" copy of the original.  I suggested that if they can clone kits, why do the Nova wagon instead lf the '67 Galaxie fastback, AMT '65 Impala, '59 Chevy Brookwood wagon, '72 Gran Prix, etc.

Because none of those are wagons, and a wagon is never the wrong choice. 😊 I think it's more than one factor, but Chevy IIs and wagons are both popular, so I'm sure Round2 did their market research before choosing this particular subject.

I believe someone from Round2, or maybe Steve G or Mike W earlier in this topic) mentioned the body was all-new, and a 3D scanned clone of an original body. I'm not sure it matters much at this point, but I do also have some interest in finding that answer, Mike.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Because none of those are wagons, and a wagon is never the wrong choice. 😊 I think it's more than one factor, but Chevy IIs and wagons are both popular, so I'm sure Round2 did their market research before choosing this particular subject.

I believe someone from Round2, or maybe Steve G or Mike W earlier in this topic) mentioned the body was all-new, and a 3D scanned clone of an original body. I'm not sure it matters much at this point, but I do also have some interest in finding that answer, Mike.

Thanks Casey.  I hope you do.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Casey,

I can tell you for a fact that it's 100% new tooling created by cloning the original parts.  It was created and tooled at a location that didn't have access to what was left of the old tools.  Any injector pin marks or similar artifacts that appear to line up are pure coincidence in the tooling process.  The upcoming Transtar CO4070A Cabover release is also 100% all new and it was done with same process at the same location.  You can bet you'll see more new releases like this coming from Round2 in the near future.  

-Steve

4 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I brought up the Johan question as well by saying they should clone those too.  After an initial 'that would too toxic to bring up again' response, I get crickets.  If Okey owns the branding, then lets clone those kits too.  Or, are we stepping too much on Johan collector's toes here? lol! 

It's surprising we can't get any clear answers.  Why all the disinformation? Is the Nova Station wagon a completely new cloned body of the original or not?

And don't forget the 68 Coronet...

9 hours ago, SteveG said:

Casey,

I can tell you for a fact that it's 100% new tooling created by cloning the original parts.  It was created and tooled at a location that didn't have access to what was left of the old tools.  Any injector pin marks or similar artifacts that appear to line up are pure coincidence in the tooling process.  The upcoming Transtar CO4070A Cabover release is also 100% all new and it was done with same process at the same location.  You can bet you'll see more new releases like this coming from Round2 in the near future.  

-Steve

Guys....listen to Steve.  Look at the ACTUAL ejector pin marks underneath the new body vs. the old body.  Look at my fotlki kit review showing the new vs. old in detail.  Listen to the Round 2 personnel (at leas the ones I deal with) who have an excellent record of credibility and legitimacy.  The new kit is new tooling.  Not sure why there is remaining skepticism on this point, but these are the facts.  TIM .  

11 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don't understand this so-called "disinformaton".  

Right from the start, the plan was to take a vintage kit, clone it and re-issue it in vintage-style packaging.  That's exactly what they did, and when the kit was announced Round2 stated it was/is all-new tooling.

Their choice of the Nova wagon wasn't just pulled out of a hat, and it was apparently a good one based on the kit's popularity.

28 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Guys....listen to Steve.  Look at the ACTUAL ejector pin marks underneath the new body vs. the old body.  Look at my fotlki kit review showing the new vs. old in detail.  Listen to the Round 2 personnel (at leas the ones I deal with) who have an excellent record of credibility and legitimacy.  The new kit is new tooling.  Not sure why there is remaining skepticism on this point, but these are the facts.  TIM .  

Unfortunately Tim some here think you know nothing, and get angry when told you DO know your stuff.

34 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

25 minutes ago, pack rat said:

I don't understand this so-called "disinformaton".  

Right from the start, the plan was to take a vintage kit, clone it and re-issue it in vintage-style packaging.  That's exactly what they did, and when the kit was announced Round2 stated it was/is all-new tooling.

Their choice of the Nova wagon wasn't just pulled out of a hat, and it was apparently a good one based on the kit's popularity.

I'd say that the tooling questions on the Nova Wagon have been clearly answered. Thanks Mike and Tim !!  

Not only the injector pins, but just look at the feed points between the runner and the tree.  They're all current "Asian" style where the instead of the feed point going directly INTO the side of the part, it actually goes in on a little platform behind the part.  You see this all the time with Japanese/Chinese kits so that the clean up point is not on the face of the part.  All of the chrome parts have this feature meaning the actual attachment point on the wheels and both bumpers is on the backside of those pieces not the actual side of them which should eliminate the need to lose chunks of chrome in the process of removal and cleanup.

6 hours ago, pack rat said:

It’s a funny thing. We know that Tom Lowe and his team are hobby passionate, know the market and know how to work it.

The choice of the Nova wagon could have been carefully researched with market projections etc or it could be that Tom Lowe simply liked the old kit!  It’s good to be king!

Remember... people asked how Moebius got the brilliant idea to tool up all those Hudsons..  it was as simple as “Frank likes Hudsons”! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It’s a funny thing. We know that Tom Lowe and his team are hobby passionate, know the market and know how to work it.

The choice of the Nova wagon could have been carefully researched with market projections etc or it could be that Tom Lowe simply liked the old kit!  It’s good to be king!

Remember... people asked how Moebius got the brilliant idea to tool up all those Hudsons..  it was as simple as “Frank likes Hudsons”! 

I think the Nova wagon choice had considerable input from John G.; I know he was a heavy supporter of the idea.  And FWIW, it was a project that was in the works for several years.  TIM