Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 Pontiac Tempest

Modlbldr

I got this as a built-up off of eBay back in July. I liked the way it sat and the wheels so wanted to keep those two things for the rebuild.

I used the convertible boot from the 50 Ford convertible kit and cut decals from an Amtrack railcar sheet that I bought back in 1990! Painted Tamiya Gloss white. Added redline tires to tie in the interior. The windshield was in bad shape so I dipped it in Future. It's as good as it's gonna get. I added Wizard of O's bezels for the gauges and the turn signals and back up lights. Hope you like it.

Later-

IMG_20201001_065728819.jpg

IMG_20201001_065818743.jpg

IMG_20201001_065833363.jpg

IMG_20201001_070019058.jpg

IMG_20201001_081734982.jpg

IMG_20201001_070056545_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201001_081759748.jpg

Thanks guys!

44 minutes ago, Misha said:

That’s a very attractive paint scheme with the addition of the asymmetrical racing stripe it really fits the early sixties style.
Cheers Misha   

Thanks Misha. I don't know why, exactly, but when I got this, the paint scheme instantly came to mind. I think it says 60's very well.

Later-

Thanks a lot. 

8 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Awesome save on a great old kit looks great i love the lace wheels and nice idea with the taillights .!!

The taillight panel was on the build when I bought it. I assume it was the custom option in the kit. I say this because there is a similar cross hatch pattern above the grille bars.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Thanks Fellas for the nice comments.

10 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

The color & texture of the boot looks so real I want to touch & feel it!

How did you achieve the two tone the carpet? It looks fantastic! I have a project that really needs a salt & pepper (silver-grey & black) carpet... 

The carpet is two colors of embossing powder mixed together (red and black) in a cup and then sifted through a tea strainer over the area that I brushed with white glue.

Later-

5 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Thanks. I thought maybe flocking... ?

The same can be done with flocking. I used two colors of flocking on a build years ago and it came out with a similar appearance. Just make sure to mix it before applying and use a tea strainer. It gives the best mixing outcome.

Later-