Model Cars Magazine Forum

Swinging Sixties Euro Playboymobile!

Pico

On 10/10/2020 at 10:47 PM, gman said:

That looks great, especially for a printed body. That paint belies all the work that must have gone into it below the surface.

The body was fairly smooth to begin with, being high-poly ( many small flat planes make up the surface) and the resin printing method produces a smooth surface. Much better than, for instance, Shapeways, which is a fuzzy, nylon like material. 

DSCN9628.JPG

On 10/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, Carmak said:

Did you design the Maserati parts or download them?

I just got my Anycubic Photon a couple weeks ago. I started small with some wheels.

Both Maserati and Mangusta are files from the net. They are not printable , however, without a great deal of work to modify them to be printable. The Mangusta suspension, chassis, wheels, etc, was designed by me.

15 hours ago, Pico said:

Both Maserati and Mangusta are files from the net. They are not printable , however, without a great deal of work to modify them to be printable. The Mangusta suspension, chassis, wheels, etc, was designed by me.

So they were skins. Good work on the Maserati.

I design medical devices and often have to work with skins for the interface components. You are correct that they typically require a great deal of work to make printable.

I have been 3D printing at work for 25+ years. Our first SLA cost 250K. Very impressed with the Photon printer so far. The slicing and support software somewhat less impressive. 

7 hours ago, Carmak said:

So they were skins. Good work on the Maserati.

I design medical devices and often have to work with skins for the interface components. You are correct that they typically require a great deal of work to make printable.

I have been 3D printing at work for 25+ years. Our first SLA cost 250K. Very impressed with the Photon printer so far. The slicing and support software somewhat less impressive. 

I use Prusa SL1 for support generation. It's very simple to use. ChiTubox support generation is awful, but I use it for slicing and think it works alright, but I don't have any experience with other slicing programs.