Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth Challenge Mixer reissue 2020

Champeen

I thought I would create this post since I haven't seen this topic elsewhere on this board...  I see the Tower Hobbies and Vortex Hobbies websites show the AMT Kenworth Challenge Mixer kit (long thought to not be a potential re-issue) is due to be be re-issued in October 2020.  Anyone know any details about this kit?

I have heard of this upcoming reissue a couple of months ago and I will for sure get one or two then it arrives.
Hopefully it will have all the correct parts from the past in it, I know the rear suspension is going to be the walking beam as the torsion bar suspension this kit originally had is long gone and was more for long haul transports anyway, and the walking beam suspension is more appropriate for a concrete mixer so it really doesn't matter.

Edited by Force

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PintoKING said:

I will get one! Maybe two!

Now, there is the AMT Chevrolet Titan COE,  AMT Chevrolet Bison and AMT Kenworth Alaskan Hauler that need to be reissued! (And the the ERTL vault kits)

:)

I'd like the Volvo N10, but with plastic chassis and axles....but doubt it will ever happen, not a question of wanting but more one of too much of retooling costs. 

On 10/31/2020 at 11:34 AM, PintoKING said:

I will get one! Maybe two!

Now, there is the AMT Chevrolet Titan COE,  AMT Chevrolet Bison and AMT Kenworth Alaskan Hauler that need to be reissued! (And the the ERTL vault kits)

:)

Auslowe Models now offers, the Alaskan Hauler as a Transkit! It is listed under the Resin truck section. It is already for order! It goes for Aus$ 78.00. You will need the Watkins W925 kit for it.  

Not much of a big-truck guy, but I really want this one.  My Dad was a construction foreman who put me to work with him in summers.  I scraped many a shovel full of concrete out of those discharge chutes. 

eBay's old kit dealers will be on suicide watch.  Way back in the 1980s, I remember seeing this kit going for $100 or more at swap meets. 

14 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Were truly in a renaissance period of truck models. I personally never thought we would see the magnitude of re issues of the last couple of years. It really is a time to stock up because nobody can predict the future.

What Tommy said.  Of all the original 1/25th scale truck kits, this is the single one I missed.  Can't wait to get my hands on the reissue.  TIM 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 12:20 AM, Mike999 said:

Not much of a big-truck guy, but I really want this one.  My Dad was a construction foreman who put me to work with him in summers.  I scraped many a shovel full of concrete out of those discharge chutes. 

eBay's old kit dealers will be on suicide watch.  Way back in the 1980s, I remember seeing this kit going for $100 or more at swap meets. 

The last line says it all.  Now that Round 2 and Atlantis is going in the direction of redoing or creating new tooling for subjects we have not seen in over 50 years, we'll see more old kit dealers liquidating and rethinking a new direction for them.

I’m loving the reissues however, we really do need some brand new big rig kits. There is some great subject matter and Moebius with their Lonestar issue around a decade ago was a great start. I really thought Round2/AMT or Revell would’ve done a current American big rig by now seeing how well the reissues are doing. 

My plan for my mixer is to use an Alaskan hauler hood and change the wheels.

Ben

14 hours ago, Bennyg said:

I really thought Round2/AMT or Revell would’ve done a current American big rig by now seeing how well the reissues are doing. 

The type of trucks  being re issued look nowhere like current big rigs. I don't know if you could make that assumption. The million dollar question is , what does truck modeling pubic want to buy, and what would bring in bigger profits, a current  big rig you see on the road today ( aerodynamic motel room on wheels) or a  big rig of the 50's and 60's ( era before AMT came on the scene:  classic lines, heavy steel frames and polluting non computer controlled engines). I'm not privy to the sales of the Lonestar, but Moebius might want to gamble and do a '56 Kenworth conventional and compare sales figures. Sooner or later, all the AMT kits will be reissued and we have to think of these questions for  the future of the industry.

10 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The type of trucks  being re issued look nowhere like current big rigs. I don't know if you could make that assumption. The million dollar question is , what does truck modeling pubic want to buy, and what would bring in bigger profits, a current  big rig you see on the road today ( aerodynamic motel room on wheels) or a  big rig of the 50's and 60's ( era before AMT came on the scene:  classic lines, heavy steel frames and polluting non computer controlled engines). I'm not privy to the sales of the Lonestar, but Moebius might want to gamble and do a '56 Kenworth conventional and compare sales figures. Sooner or later, all the AMT kits will be reissued and we have to think of these questions for  the future of the industry.

I love my classic trucks. I own a real Mack B61. I’m currently building an Auslowe Alaskan hauler conversion. I sent photos to Jan from Czech Truck Models to help his Mack B Model project to help with the Australian specific items such as sun visors. I dare say you’re right about a classic KW selling well. I would love to see a KW W990 or Mack Anthem. I’m glad we have a pretty good after market to supply some options.

Ben