Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who made this 60 El Camino

It's SMP.  SMP made the Chevrolet, Imperial, and Valiant kits, AMT handled everything else that Jo-Han wasn't doing in 1960.  Though all of the AMT and SMP kits were marketed together, they were separate companies until July 1961.  A handful of '62 kits appeared in SMP logo boxes, mostly Styline Valiants but the occasional Imperial convertible turns up.

I have a couple of these - one near perfect unbuilt, and an old builtup needing some parts and TLC. The '59 will work as a donor, although the glass is a bit narrow at the top. Might be better to swap the whole '59 roof and glass since its pillars are better detailed. The '60's tailgate needs its driver's side opening line recut 1/16" to the left to correct the width. Looks like you're also missing the taillights and lower front pan; I have a mold to copy the lights but that front pan launches a feeding frenzy on eBay every time one comes up. Someone with more skill than I should copy that piece... I don't know whether the Revell part will fit.

Good luck with it and let me know if you need taillights!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The original '60 El Camino was an SMP/AMT product. As ZTony8 suggested, any body parts and maybe even interior also could come from Revell's '60 Impala kit. The chassis under the AMT '59 El Camino would be very basic compared to the Revell Impala's chassis. I have thought about redoing the one I have so I would be interested in seeing what all you can do with yours. 

Hobby Lobby has the '59 El Camino in the big "Art Box."  Or at least they did recently.  I got one there.

Minor point, since there's some discussion of using the Revell '60 Impala for interior parts:   El Caminos didn't have the fancy Impala interior, though many have been upgraded with Impala interiors in real life and you see them all over the internet. 

If you're building a stock El Camino, the interiors in the '59 and '60 AMT kits are correct.  The El Camino had the same interior trim level as the Biscayne.  Only 3 interior colors were available: gray, green, or blue.

1959 and '60 El Caminos didn't have carpet, either, so that saves us some trouble with the old embossing powder.  But feel free to add rust!  From an Elky website: "Floor coverings were black vinyl, with colored specks molded in to match the upholstery color. (Unfortunately, moisture could become trapped beneath these mats, causing floor pans to rust as the years went by.)"

Edited by Mike999
omit

I will start posting on a build thread when the parts arrive,not sure what I will do about a engine since it does not have a opening hood.  Thinking about using a six since the top will not be seen and will not need the correct valve cover and air cleaner and I have a few of them.

1 hour ago, espo said:

Another thought would be to find one of Revell's reissues of the '60 Impala. Other than the gas tank this would give you a much better chassis, engine, hood, and trim not to mention the interior parts as well. 

Wrong interior, unless you're building an over-restored '60 El Camino upgraded with an Impala interior.  Scroll up a little bit to my earlier post where I bloviated about that.?

Pictures of bone-stock '59 and '60 El Camino interiors are hard to find because so many have been upgraded or modified.  Here's an original, unrestored '59 El Camino interior.  Same trim level as the low-buck Biscayne.

JanInNorway.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

3 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Wrong interior, unless you're building an over-restored '60 El Camino upgraded with an Impala interior.  Scroll up a little bit to my earlier post where I bloviated about that.?

Pictures of bone-stock '59 and '60 El Camino interiors are hard to find because so many have been upgraded or modified.  Here's an original, unrestored '59 El Camino interior.  Same trim level as the low-buck Biscayne.

JanInNorway.jpg

I know what you're saying about the interior and I agree about the trim level. I was just thinking of an easier way to update everything if opening the hood and updating the chassis was a consideration. Even before many of the after market companies started offering reproduction interiors the easiest interior to find was the Impala so besides looking better it was the most available interior at the time.