Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty-Special

Jeffcad

Hi guys.

Today I share a rare Cadillac I have in my collection. As we know, the 1960 Cadillac promos ( as well as many from 1958 to 1962 ) are all deformed and warped now, but since kit versions were not produced with the same material,  some are still straight, like mine. I have replaced the original wheels with the ones from the '59 Eldorado Monogram's kit, which are way more accurate. This Cadillac needs a bit of work and detailing but overall is worth to show its fins !. Hope you'll like it.

jo60-1.JPG

jo60-2.JPG

jo60-4.JPG

jo60-5.JPG

Edited by Jeffcad
  • Like 1

WoW a 1960 ?.
A beautiful model, I never realised this pink was in the catalogue, is it 
metallic?

I have this model in my collection. Bought as a built kit it is finished in a most professional way as if built as a shop display  and was wondering if this was ever so? My wife bought me the 1959 version, a mint kit from eBay a few years back but I had to promised to build it.
Completing this trio I have also a re-pop of the Exel 1958 Sixty Special, this is my favourite year Cadillac and the Special comes out tops.

Modelhaus produced a 1960 coupe as you may know but this has the same poorly shaped hood as the Revell-Mono, I mention this as I had a real 1960 to compare with though most modellers appear happy with the Revell Mono moulding of this piece, the JoHan is so much nearer the mark, and also the Franklin Mint die cast. It just about gets away with the rear deck shortening. Mine is a dark turquoise green, not a brushwork on it, the silver being painted perfectly.

A great build, thanks for showing.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:19 AM, HotRodaSaurus said:

WoW a 1960 ?.
A beautiful model, I never realised this pink was in the catalogue, is it 
metallic?

I have this model in my collection. Bought as a built kit it is finished in a most professional way as if built as a shop display  and was wondering if this was ever so? My wife bought me the 1959 version, a mint kit from eBay a few years back but I had to promised to build it.
Completing this trio I have also a re-pop of the Exel 1958 Sixty Special, this is my favourite year Cadillac and the Special comes out tops.

Modelhaus produced a 1960 coupe as you may know but this has the same poorly shaped hood as the Revell-Mono, I mention this as I had a real 1960 to compare with though most modellers appear happy with the Revell Mono moulding of this piece, the JoHan is so much nearer the mark, and also the Franklin Mint die cast. It just about gets away with the rear deck shortening. Mine is a dark turquoise green, not a brushwork on it, the silver being painted perfectly.

A great build, thanks for showing.

Hi John ! Thank you so much. I wanted my Fleetwood to be as close as "Sienna Rose Metallic", a GM color available for Cadillac that year, and not that common on this series. I do have the X-el's '58 and '59 Sixty Specials as well, and an original 1959 JoHan Fleetwood built kit that needs total restoration. JoHan did an amazing job with these, and for the 1961 model year, the kits or promos were even better in proportions. No chromed detailed, no opening features and sometimes no detailed chassis, but so good on overall accuracy and proportions. 60 years later, JoHan is still ahead of most manufacturers, imho.

I also have the 1960 Coupe DeVille from Modelhaus. My biggest concern is with the rear of the car. Fins are not raising enough and the rear quarter panels are too low. But I won't complain too much, knowing that's impossible to find now.

Feel free to share your own 1960 Fleetwood kit. No need to tell you I'd love to see it ;)

Thanks again!