Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Boss 429

Bills72sj

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Here are some older builds of mind showing the extreme difference in size from the MPC 69 GT kit and the original issue Monogram 70 BOss 429.  I made a Mach1 and a Boss 429 from the MPC kit and the Monogram Boss 429 I straight out of the box.  Making a Boss 429 out of the Revell Mach1 kit should be fairly easy.

A51AA5EC-995E-48C7-97C8-AF7A1F912D17.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. I have decided to go single 4bbl on the BOSS 429. The Revell 70 Boss 429 has 2 hoods but using one on the 69 would require a lot of trimming. So I am debating doing that. I do not yet have a Boss 429 scoop but I could probably fab one. Could you be so kind as to show me the underside of the blue one's hood so I can see what size hole it took to fit?

21 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Thanks for the pics. I have decided to go single 4bbl on the BOSS 429. The Revell 70 Boss 429 has 2 hoods but using one on the 69 would require a lot of trimming. So I am debating doing that. I do not yet have a Boss 429 scoop but I could probably fab one. Could you be so kind as to show me the underside of the blue one's hood so I can see what size hole it took to fit?

The engine sat so low in the engine bay that a hole in the hood was not really need but that was the MPC kit I would not use this as a reference.  I think I just ended up filling in the underside of the hood on the MPC kit that was designed for a shaker scoop.  I have not tried the 70 hood on the 69 Revell kit so your best bet would be to test fit everything before you cut A hole out.

4CEB2138-AE6D-48DD-9548-5C318C6B4732.jpeg

On 10/20/2020 at 12:43 AM, Bills72sj said:

I apparently have to get to mock up stage to determine if hood mods are required. I am curious as to why you put the Monogram 70 front clip on the Revell Boss 302. Is it more accurate or was there some other reason?

Because I wanted a 1/25 ‘70 Boss 429 and a Convertible . It drives me crazy that the Monogram car is 1/24 . I don’t like the different scales , so I stick with 1/25 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear Bill.  I know you can keep going, no matter how many squirrels get in the way.  ?

Oh, and I  have a bunch of pics of a trio of Mustangs I helped rebuild when I worked at a bodyshop awhile back.. 1969 428 Mach I,  1970 stroked 460 Mach I,  and a one family owned 1970 fastback with a Boss hood. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made a little progress this weekend. Awhile back I applied some BOSS 429 decals from a 70 BOSS kit. Well they "silvered" and looked like caca. So I cribbed the best file I could fine and printed some new ones. While I was at it, I made some long past due license plates for some old completed builds. Anyway I was just about to apply the new BOSS decals when I suddenly remembered I printed them on white decal paper. DOH! So I printed off another batch on clear paper. Now I have to wait for the humidity to go down to paint them. Meanwhile, the body has been BMFd and detailed and the engine is ready to install. I even found some teeny tiny decals in my stash for the valve covers.

Boss 429 decals.JPG

Body nearly ready.JPG

Body nearly ready rear.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj

• 1 month later...

I have been working on this one but have not been posting pics. I have most everything assemble except for the wheels and the air cleaned. I assembled the custom vanity plate with a photoetched Ford license plate frame today.

Boss 429 plate.JPG

• 2 weeks later...