Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Relaunch Update 10/2020

On 10/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, Xingu said:

is Gregg using a black background for photos, 

LOL! I was there at GSL when he was taking those and in his defense they looked terrific on the computer. Really great. In print, well.....................

Would love to see MCM return to print.  I do miss seeing it in my mail box.  With the demise of Scale Auto I did purchase the 35 years dvd rom which is pretty cool.  Maybe we can get a complete MCM collection some time.  Perhaps in a downloadable format vs a dvd to simplify it.  I’d love to have all the back issues.  Good luck in the relaunch and keep us posted on the progress.  Waiting here impatiently.  ??

1 hour ago, Nazz said:

I would like to know how to get this magazine when it comes available. Maybe  it is too soon to ask , but I do not wish to miss the boat.

Jerry

Jerry, we're still working out those details. We will do our best to ensure that everyone gets a chance at the magazine. 

-- Dave

On 10/22/2020 at 1:22 PM, thatz4u said:

in print, not so much.......

Yep.  And back in 1957-1958 a lot of people thought the Edsel was going to be the greatest thing, best selling passenger car to come along since the Model A.

Sometimes good ideas look great on the drawing board but don't turn out as well in the final product. Doesn't mean people should stop trying new ideas or concepts.

?

On 10/22/2020 at 10:20 AM, StevieB said:

So, this was posted two days ago on a hobby shop's FB page:

I had a chat with the folks at Model Cars magazine. The next issue is at the printer and we should have it late this month or early next. That is good news. Model Cars is looking for authors to write articles for the magazine. Photos are a key consideration as to whether or not an article is accepted. Very high resolution so that the editor can zoom in on a picture for publication.

And yet, not a mention of that in this thread, or on MCM's website, or on their FB page.

Is there anyone here actually involved with this that really knows what's going on? A lot of vague "Rah! Rah!" cheerleading posts, with no factual info, (& I'm not talking set deadlines, but just some solid information), a lot of promises with no substance, & nothing else anywhere online that's a part of the mag. It's ridiculous that the core of the magazine's fans, who are on this very forum, are being kept in the dark. 

Well as the old adage goes just becuase you saw it on the internet doesn't make it true. Especially  social media.

I'm highly skepitical given the fact that so many are clamoring for news that this news hasn't been posted here or facebook. 

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well as the old adage goes just becuase you saw it on the internet doesn't make it true. Especially  social media.

I'm highly skepitical given the fact that so many are clamoring for news that this news hasn't been posted here or facebook. 

Good point. But, by that criteria, since this is also a form of social media, it seems wise to be skeptical of the cheerleading "non news" being parceled out here, does it not? We've been told that MCM is "Coming back better than ever!" more than once before this latest claim. Eventually they need to deliver, & part of delivering is giving solid information, not more vague posts that tell people less than nothing.

49 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The information here is from those directly involved with the magazine. Resurecting the magazine is a monumental task and spreading unsubstantiated rumors does not help the situation. We will hear news when it is available. 

How is stating that on a FB post from an actual hobby shop the owner said he'd been in contact with people at MCM "spreading unsubstantiated rumors"?

Here's the direct quote:
I had a chat with the folks at Model Cars magazine. The next issue is at the printer and we should have it late this month or early next.

Now, while the statement may or may not be true, that's not the same as an "unsubstantiated rumor", it's a statement. Do a search on FB for Hobby Depot & read it for yourself.

And, we have yet to have any response from "the team" at MCM confirming or denying this, & at least one of "the team" seems to be a moderator here, so one would presume he's privy to such info & would actually confirm or deny it here. Instead, if we're not getting a bunch of empty cheerleading posts, all we get are crickets.

IMHO, pestering the guys trying to get the magazine you so desperately need will only add more time to actual completion and shipping.

This continuous "Are we there yet?" is not fair to the guys that do actually have a life, and most likely the magazine is not their sole income.

The only thing they owe you is a refund if you request one, they owe you noting on this forum (which, I'm just guessing here, that you don't pay for or help to run).

21 minutes ago, blunc said:

IMHO, pestering the guys trying to get the magazine you so desperately need will only add more time to actual completion and shipping.

This continuous "Are we there yet?" is not fair to the guys that do actually have a life, and most likely the magazine is not their sole income.

The only thing they owe you is a refund if you request one, they owe you noting on this forum (which, I'm just guessing here, that you don't pay for or help to run).

Well said.

1 hour ago, blunc said:

There's even less logic on display in this than in the other comments I've replied to.

Of course I, (& others), are aware that MCM is not their primary source of income. Only a child would think that.

But, there's no way that actually keeping people up to date with soldi info "will only add more time to actual completion and shipping". Keeping people informed in this case, (especially given MCM's rather checkered past) is just much a part of the task at hand as every & any other aspect of getting the mag back out is. If the associate editor or the one forum moderator that seems to be on this vaunted "team" can take the time to post little but vaporous nothingness & non-answers about the situation then they can post actual information that they're privy to, such as if the next issue is actually at the printers or not.

All these two have to post is something like this: "We're taken care of "Point A' & 'Poin tB' so far. We're at 'Point C' right now. We hope to be to 'Point D' soon.", with the understanding that the info would be more concrete than merely "Point A" or "B". That's it. No timeline required. No set point as to when they're ready to go again. Just some simple facts is all that I, (& others), ask for.

Edited by StevieB

• Xingu locked this topic