Model Cars Magazine Forum

Low profile tires and big wheels, Like or dislike?

Let's hear your opinions on those big wheel and nearly nonexistent tires.

Personally, I can't stand them on just about anything. On classics and muscle cars they destroy the entire look. It would be like a pro bodybuilder that never did any leg work. Trucks, no, just no. Modern cars, might as well paint " Fisher price " on the thing while you're at it. The only thing they seem to work on for me is supercars. 

This is by no means meant to discourage anyone from putting them on their builds, by all means build what you like.  

It depends on the vehicle, and the specific tires and wheels.  I think they can look great on vintage cars or trucks built in a restomod/Pro Touring/G-Machine style.   And modern performance cars would look strange with wheels smaller than 18-20 inches because of the large wheel wells and large brakes.

I like the look of these '69 Mustangs w/ modern wheels and tires.  Or this truck.

58155470_519760637981119_Orig.jpg

ee3d9fa227e4f563b3f7372f1f236348.jpg

unnamed-13.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

It really depends on the car, they look good on street rods but would be completely out of place on a 50s style rod (an exception would be the wheels with built in whitewalls ala kindig). They work on pro touring cars but some of them aren't the style of wheels I would use but thats personal choice and not criticism. The cars do need to be lowered if they have bigger wheels though otherwise they look almost lifted. One thing that looks odd to me though is big spoked wheels with tiny brakes or drums behind them. That makes the car look unfinished to me.

39 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Hate them. Absolutely hate them...friggin wagon wheels.  But I'm just an aging old curmudgeon Baby Boomer who loved the look of Bigs and Littles w/ wide whites.

You just saved me some typing. Well, except for the part about wide whites. Can't stand wide whites, either. B)

2 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I'm not a fan of anything larger than 17's on any classic vehicle. 

Same here. And even then, the 17s have to be carefully selected. 

Well it is all about personal preference. We all like different stuff. But, I have never liked the big rims and low profile tires personally . I have seen a handful of applications where they looked okay, but as for me, I like the old school look of smaller rims with some offset and some sidewall. Low profiles ride like a wagon too. They just aren’t for me.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

It really depends on the car, they look good on street rods but would be completely out of place on a 50s style rod (an exception would be the wheels with built in whitewalls ala kindig). They work on pro touring cars but some of them aren't the style of wheels I would use but thats personal choice and not criticism. The cars do need to be lowered if they have bigger wheels though otherwise they look almost lifted. One thing that looks odd to me though is big spoked wheels with tiny brakes or drums behind them. That makes the car look unfinished to me.

I think that’s what bugs my Dad the most, huge diameter wheels and stock sized brakes. My 200 with the oem 18” wheels looks a bit goofy with the also stock 11.6” rotors and single piston calipers, even though I wouldn’t go bigger than 18”, even after I get the bigger Euro market from brakes on it (13.4” rotor and 2 piston calipers from the bigger cars) on it. Anything bigger just looks off to me. I kinda feel the same about other vehicles, I’d rather have wheels no taller than I need to clear the calipers of a big brake kit.

3 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

I think that’s what bugs my Dad the most, huge diameter wheels and stock sized brakes. My 200 with the oem 18” wheels looks a bit goofy with the also stock 11.6” rotors and single piston calipers, even though I wouldn’t go bigger than 18”, even after I get the bigger Euro market from brakes on it (13.4” rotor and 2 piston calipers from the bigger cars) on it. Anything bigger just looks off to me. I kinda feel the same about other vehicles, I’d rather have wheels no taller than I need to clear the calipers of a big brake kit.

The best brake fitment I've seen on a vw was porsche 911 brakes and wheels on a mk4 golf, it just looked right with the 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap between the brakes and wheel rim and the caliper just barely tucking in behind the rim. Most of the conversions I've seen just have a slight look of being further back in the arch than the hub of the wheels but they may have been running spacers or the wrong offset.

7 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Yeah, big wheels and little tires are pretty goofy looking.

They are if the rims look like giant thread spools with black magic marker lines for tires. At least the spoked rims found on autos which they were originally designed for are aesthetically pleasing and fit within the design of said vehicles and they aren't even within the same category or types being discussed. What you're attempting to do is conflate this discussion by entering into evidence an example which is, according to Perry Mason,  irrelevant, incompetent and immaterial. :P :)

Depends on the ride!! LowRider wheels (and killing a classic car by making it bounce) not for me! GIANT wheels,.... what??? get me a step ladder!! But,.... a classic pro touring or pro street car,.... OH YA!! 18" and 20/22" on the back,... that is sexy! Don't get me wrong original hubcaps with spinners and white walls ROCK! 

Wheels/colour/stance - all day long make the car/truck!! (1959 IMPALA FOR ME PLEASE)

big wheel.jpg

59 impala.jpeg