Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone deal with Motor City Resin Casters?


Recommended Posts

Sadly its been a year and a half that I placed my order with Jeff, still nothing.  Is he all right? I have been waiting patiently with no communication in the last 8 months. Probably can't get my money back from him now if he is no longer answering. Is he still on business? Anyone? Jeff B?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im still here..its been a really crappy year and half or so. ive had some really bad health issues that have really slowed me down. im still casting, albeit very slowly. if you have an order with me i will get it out as soon as im able. im also sorry if i haven't answered any emails. i will get to them as well.

thank all of you for your patience

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jeffb said:

im still here..its been a really crappy year and half or so. ive had some really bad health issues that have really slowed me down. im still casting, albeit very slowly. if you have an order with me i will get it out as soon as im able. im also sorry if i haven't answered any emails. i will get to them as well.

thank all of you for your patience

Jeff, you just hang in there and put yourself first. If some peple can't wait till you get to it, to heck with them. I'd wager each and every one who orders has PLENTY to build till they gettheir stuff. I know I do. When you told me it would be 6 months before you could get to anything I'd order I held off. I have plenty to build in the queue.

Steve Prange

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 12:12 AM, jeffb said:

im still here..its been a really crappy year and half or so. ive had some really bad health issues that have really slowed me down. im still casting, albeit very slowly. if you have an order with me i will get it out as soon as im able. im also sorry if i haven't answered any emails. i will get to them as well.

thank all of you for your patience

You've always been among the best when it comes to the quality of your castings and your customer service and new customers may not be aware of this . . .  Your health has to be your first priority right now  .  As a repeat customer I can wait until you've fully recovered , plenty of other projects going and never enough time .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to here from you Jeff I am holding out hope for the 70 and a 1/2 Falcon body (ordered 6/20/20). I have  stopped asking and just started hoping it shows up one day and your post gives me a glimmer of hope in seeing it. Thanks. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Craig, give the guy a break!   He has had health issues, and like many 'cottage industry' set ups is probably a one man band doing his best despite other things things like family commitments etc.

The guy joined over 2 years ago, made one post since then and it's an attack post?  No worries Noel, that stuff don't hold water around here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am really happy that Rookie Resin pulled the plug when he realized that he couldn't sustain the amount of orders he was getting and still have a life. That is the right thing to do. I just went to the Motor City page and it still is possible to put items into your cart and pay for them. If Jeff is having issues, he needs to stop taking new orders, period. I have seen this scenario repeat so many times that I refer to it as "Resin Disease". We all know the names of other casters and other aftermarket providers that have gone down this road. Honesty is the best policy. If there are health issues, family issues, main job issues, etc., a message needs to be put on the web page and no further orders should be accepted until the backlog is caught up. Not picking on Jeff, just a general statement.

I know that I am going to get flak for this, but it is the way I would handle things if it was my business.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve has made a valid point in his post about resin casters becoming suddenly overwhelmed by orders.

Resin casting by its nature is a fairly slow process to produce a body from each mould with little or no imperfections. Not sure what the scrappage rate is that they have to contend with that just becomes wasted material, unlike white metal where imperfect castings can simply be re melted and re used.

Many of these guys I would guess do this in their spare time along with other work and family commitments, and a sudden influx of orders throws a curve ball at them. Unfortunately it is easy to over commit under these circumstances and orders go further out to the dissatisfaction of customers. It is knowing when to announce a temporary halt both to buy themselves some time to catch up and more importantly so that customers are not left guessing as to what is going on. I would imagine that not many in this field could ever make enough money to run it as a proper full time business as it is very labour intensive what with designing and making masters, making moulds and the moulding process itself. So buyers need to be a bit patient, but by the same token should not be left in the dark either as that just breeds frustration and loss of confidence.

It makes good business sense to keep customers informed, and I guess that many cottage industries are developed by people who were modellers first. Suddenly I would imagine that often they quickly get out of their depth with orders they did not anticipate, and unrealistically try to bash on trying to catch up regardless, even when getting more and more overwhelmed. No doubt those guys are very well intentioned, but it is learning and knowing how to deal with this situation that is the crux of the matter when running a business taking payment for their services.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2021 at 4:56 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Steve has made a valid point in his post about resin casters becoming suddenly overwhelmed by orders.

Resin casting by its nature is a fairly slow process to produce a body from each mould with little or no imperfections. Not sure what the scrappage rate is that they have to contend with that just becomes wasted material, unlike white metal where imperfect castings can simply be re melted and re used.

Many of these guys I would guess do this in their spare time along with other work and family commitments, and a sudden influx of orders throws a curve ball at them. Unfortunately it is easy to over commit under these circumstances and orders go further out to the dissatisfaction of customers. It is knowing when to announce a temporary halt both to buy themselves some time to catch up and more importantly so that customers are not left guessing as to what is going on. I would imagine that not many in this field could ever make enough money to run it as a proper full time business as it is very labour intensive what with designing and making masters, making moulds and the moulding process itself. So buyers need to be a bit patient, but by the same token should not be left in the dark either as that just breeds frustration and loss of confidence.

It makes good business sense to keep customers informed, and I guess that many cottage industries are developed by people who were modellers first. Suddenly I would imagine that often they quickly get out of their depth with orders they did not anticipate, and unrealistically try to bash on trying to catch up regardless, even when getting more and more overwhelmed. No doubt those guys are very well intentioned, but it is learning and knowing how to deal with this situation that is the crux of the matter when running a business taking payment for their services.

Which is why I e-mailled him and inquired. His answer was quick. He said anything I ordered would be 6 months out, so I refrained from ordering at this time. That's all it takes to avoid so much heartache.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi,

What is the current email for Jeff at Motor City Casters? I also had wanted the 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe kit. ( don't know why AMT & others offered 1966 coupe kits but not 67s?) Wanted to replicate my first car I had in High School. Hope he is feeling better as I had seen in these posting he had health issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GregM said:

Hi,

What is the current email for Jeff at Motor City Casters? I also had wanted the 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe kit. ( don't know why AMT & others offered 1966 coupe kits but not 67s?) Wanted to replicate my first car I had in High School. Hope he is feeling better as I had seen in these posting he had health issues.

Should be motorcityresin@hotmail.com

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Sadly, this is why so many cottage industry casters close up shop. They make a great product, all the while working a fulltime job, (or two), to make a living, and doing the casting on the side. And then when they get tons of orders, and lead times go past what the buyer thinks reasonable, without knowing a THING about the sellers' life, business, health, time demands due to jobs etc., that buyer jumps on them all over social media. Eventually, that seller decides the heck with it. And THEN those that caused their demise, bemoan the fact that the seller went out of business and those great products are no longer available. Yeah, a note on the website saying what is going on, or simply a note that there will be NO lead times given and you will get your order when it is done, period, would go a long way towards letting people know they have to wait, (IF those people take the time to even read and comprehend the note). However, often the time needed to keep buyers informed takes time away from other more pressing issues, and simply does not get done. When you are dealing with an established, reputable, quality seller, like Jeff, there is little to NO reason to expect that he is going to screw you, or anyone else for that matter. All I can say is I have some of Motor City's resins and they are fantastic. And I have no issue waiting for however long it takes. Patience is a virtue that many people need to learn how to practice. Thank you, Jeff, for continuing to offer such quality merchandise, even in the face of interference from life, and impatient buyers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, redneckrigger said:

Sadly, this is why so many cottage industry casters close up shop. They make a great product, all the while working a fulltime job, (or two), to make a living, and doing the casting on the side. And then when they get tons of orders, and lead times go past what the buyer thinks reasonable, without knowing a THING about the sellers' life, business, health, time demands due to jobs etc., that buyer jumps on them all over social media. Eventually, that seller decides the heck with it. And THEN those that caused their demise, bemoan the fact that the seller went out of business and those great products are no longer available. Yeah, a note on the website saying what is going on, or simply a note that there will be NO lead times given and you will get your order when it is done, period, would go a long way towards letting people know they have to wait, (IF those people take the time to even read and comprehend the note). However, often the time needed to keep buyers informed takes time away from other more pressing issues, and simply does not get done. When you are dealing with an established, reputable, quality seller, like Jeff, there is little to NO reason to expect that he is going to screw you, or anyone else for that matter. All I can say is I have some of Motor City's resins and they are fantastic. And I have no issue waiting for however long it takes. Patience is a virtue that many people need to learn how to practice. Thank you, Jeff, for continuing to offer such quality merchandise, even in the face of interference from life, and impatient buyers. 

In am willing to wait . Some casters put you off and go away . This is a Giant Mistake not to make . Dedication isn't enough . Running a Small Business is no Mean Feat . Kudos to Jeff . If it was me . I would wait . I would not give up trying to contact any Vendor . I've not . My History has been only one total failure from one vendor .  That was something out of his control as it turned out .I wil olonger speak particulars of the incident .  I'm just saying .   Thanx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2022 at 12:51 AM, TooOld said:

Jeff , please check your messages !

 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, redneckrigger said:

Sadly, this is why so many cottage industry casters close up shop. They make a great product, all the while working a fulltime job, (or two), to make a living, and doing the casting on the side. And then when they get tons of orders, and lead times go past what the buyer thinks reasonable, without knowing a THING about the sellers' life, business, health, time demands due to jobs etc., that buyer jumps on them all over social media. Eventually, that seller decides the heck with it. And THEN those that caused their demise, bemoan the fact that the seller went out of business and those great products are no longer available. Yeah, a note on the website saying what is going on, or simply a note that there will be NO lead times given and you will get your order when it is done, period, would go a long way towards letting people know they have to wait, (IF those people take the time to even read and comprehend the note). However, often the time needed to keep buyers informed takes time away from other more pressing issues, and simply does not get done. When you are dealing with an established, reputable, quality seller, like Jeff, there is little to NO reason to expect that he is going to screw you, or anyone else for that matter. All I can say is I have some of Motor City's resins and they are fantastic. And I have no issue waiting for however long it takes. Patience is a virtue that many people need to learn how to practice. Thank you, Jeff, for continuing to offer such quality merchandise, even in the face of interference from life, and impatient buyers. 

 

21 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

In am willing to wait . Some casters put you off and go away . This is a Giant Mistake not to make . Dedication isn't enough . Running a Small Business is no Mean Feat . Kudos to Jeff . If it was me . I would wait . I would not give up trying to contact any Vendor . I've not . My History has been only one total failure from one vendor .  That was something out of his control as it turned out .I wil olonger speak particulars of the incident .  I'm just saying .   Thanx

If my post asking Jeff to check his messages started this all up again it should stop right here . The reason I sent a PM to Jeff is because my email address gets bumped into his spam folder every single time I email him and I wanted to give him a heads up . . . period . No other reason . The fact is I've had a couple trans kits on order for what seems like a very long time but he's going to be shipping them later this week . I've bought from Jeff many times over the years and will be the first to tell any customer to be patient and give Jeff time to catch up , he's had some issues due to Covid but he will get to you .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just want to say that I received my 1970 and 1/2 Falcon resin body today. I had basically given up on getting it as I ordered and paid for it in June of 2020 and had not had any contact in over a year about the status, but it was through this board and people insuring me that I would get it that I just decided to let it ride and see what happens. The body arrived today it is the best quality resin I have ever personally purchased, at first glance and feel you would think it was injected styrene kit body except for some very minor mold flash. My biggest disappointment in the whole process was just the simple lack of updates, when I originally ordered I was told 8 to 12 weeks and that was fine even the 18 months is O.K if I just had some communication to know that things were still good and just not left in the dark. Anyway, I did get my body today 19 months after the original order and I am total blown away with the quality of the piece and so glad I stayed calm and waited. 

Thanks Jeff and Motor City resin casters for a great product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I understand the difficulties in the aftermarket business. Sometimes you just have to have waaaay more patients than you think you have. I have purchased many Items from Jeff over the years and the last order was several bodies/kits and yes it took some time, but Jeff was very good at responding to my emails. As all my orders prior the quality is top notch and I will continue to support him and MCRC. 

Alan Bohach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...