MPC

939-   '70 GTO Super Stocker 2T

896- Cobra Chopper Trike

897 - Torque Custom Trike

940- Ramcharger's Front engine dragster

Edited by Mr mopar

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Hope they fine tune the Daytona some...

That ancient kit whose origins date-back to 1967 (for the 1968 Charger annual) needs to be put-to-pasture . The Revell kit kills that inaccurate pile of "BLAH" anyhow... inaccurate from the start :

- 8 3/4 rear behind a Hemi / 4-speed

- 1966 & earlier type brake master cylinder

- 'Road Wheels' ( colloq. , "Magnum 500" ) incorrect for a Hemi-powered vehicle for 1969

Add those to its age --and the requisite scribing and fiddling-- and it's not worth the trouble .

Since re-tooling major body pieces seems like the way to go now, it'd be fun if they re-tooled either the MPC '69 Camaro or '70 Chevelle dirt track body to package with all the non-body engine/interior/chassis parts found inside that GTO Super-Stocker dirt track kit. I seem to remember there'd only be the body, hood, front & rear bumpers, lower rear valance panel and maybe windshield glass to tool-up again, so not that many parts!

Edited by '70 Grande

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Huh - that Depot Hack T was only reissued last year...must have been a good seller!

Nope, that was the panel delivery.  The depot hack is a passenger version, a precursor to the wood-bodied station wagons.

The '23 T roadster was finally re-issued about a year ago, too. 

This is from the original Depot Hack instruction sheet.  At the bottom of the page, the "Advanced Modeling Hints" shows how to hot-rod the Depot Hack, using parts from the T roadster. 

Old-timers will know this but some newer builders may not:  the AMT '23 T kits are quite a bit different from the '25 T kits and don't share any parts.  The '25 T was first issued in 1960, the '23 kits didn't come out until 1975 or so.  Among the differences:  the '23 T kits have multi-part frames and separate stock wheels and rubber tires.  (The '25 has one-piece plastic tires and wheels.)  The '23 kits also have a much more accurate steering wheel.  In the pic below, the '23 wheel is on the left, the '25 on the right.  Thanks to Model T fanatic Anthony Hazelaar for the photo.

dep-haci.jpg

Model_T_steering_wheel.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

896- Cobra Chopper Trike

The final 2 choppers to complete the 6 chopper series? These should be the two that haven't been seen since the original issue, right?

I'm guessing the Torque Custom Trike is the former Black Max? If it is I wonder why they couldn't use the Black Max name. I'm sure it's a copyright issue.

2.jpg

And the Cobra Chopper trike is obviously this one

Cobra Chopper-top

5 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

896- Cobra Chopper Trike

The final 2 choppers to complete the 6 chopper series? These should be the two that haven't been seen since the original issue, right?

I'm guessing the Torque Custom Trike is the former Black Max? If it is I wonder why they couldn't use the Black Max name. I'm sure it's a copyright issue.

2.jpg

Cobra Chopper-top

I sure hope It is ? I need that black Max trike ,But kind of a silly name though .

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

896- Cobra Chopper Trike

2.jpg

Cobra Chopper-top

Finally! I can try and build them again after all these years! 

And I will assume, since the Black Max is a Harry Bradley design, and most likely was copyrighted by him, there must be a fee they didn't want to pay.

The Mail Box Trike has it's original name due to the fee they  must have paid for Roth's name to stay on it. 

On 10/6/2020 at 9:50 PM, Jim B said:

What's wrong with the AMT grill?

On 10/6/2020 at 11:40 PM, Plowboy said:

Too short in height. The last versions had no bowtie in the grille. 

The headlights aren't exactly round either.

You'd also need a front bumper as the MPC grille and bumpers were separate, not one-piece like the AMT part.

4 minutes ago, Force said:

Well that's correct for a NASCAR version, they didn't use the Dana 60.

You are correct . Easier to change gearing ( just yank the pig , and replace it with one that's already set-up) . Then there's the lighter-weight consideration... And the 1964-1965 cars which had the 8 3/4 regardless of transmission .

However , on a factory-stock , street (or drag) model , the Dana 60 was the only game . Automatic-equipped cars got a 4.10 Dana in lieu of the 3.91 geared 8 3/4 .

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The headlights aren't exactly round either.

You'd also need a front bumper as the MPC grille and bumpers were separate, not one-piece like the AMT part.

No, they're not. Kinda weird when you look at them closely. 

One could cut the bumper from the AMT grille and use it if they had to.

Here's a comparison photo. AMT on the left. MPC on the right.

20201007_100811-1.jpg.dafda1417a1058a092e693b39173e98a.jpg

Also, note the difference in the hoods. The AMT hood looks a good 3mms taller.