Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 2021

Mr mopar

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Okay, I see the difference, but I'm not sure it would matter to me if I decide I need a Chevy pickup on my shelf. :unsure:

We're not required to be EQUALLY anal about EVERYTHING, you know. :lol:

It's not hopeless. I think if one drilled out the headlights and replaced them with reflectors and lenses (needs to be done anyway) and took some height off the front of the hood, it would become passable. Better anyway.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Okay, I see the difference, but I'm not sure it would matter to me if I decide I need a Chevy pickup on my shelf. :unsure:

We're not required to be EQUALLY anal about EVERYTHING, you know. :lol:

I know what you mean Snake but I do like my round headlights to be actually round. ?

4 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

As an FYI regarding Chevy truck grilles;

Hoppersbazaar on the auction site sells unchromed resin copies of MPC grilles and bumpers. Is the good grille interchangeable with the not-so-good?

Yes, with a bit of sanding they should fit right on. I've been swapping AMT and MPC parts back and forth doing mockups with these kits for a while now. 

BTW, IF you're going to use the grille/bumper that comes with the kit I strongly suggest separating them. It doesn't fit well at all as one peice.  

I did that with this one and drilled out the headlights, built back when the modified kit came out over 20 years ago.

114 1479

On 10/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, Snake45 said:

That one will be popular. I'll prolly even get one myself. 

Normally I don't feel like advertising for Coke, but Coke machines are great dirama pieces. You can't go wrong with a 72 Chevy pickup. So, I'm also in for one as well.

IMO that's a great match for the Coke machines and the kit.

I'm sure Coke could've used a Chevy truck (as opposed to a mini Ranchero) to haul the machines around in.

At least it makes sense to me. 

I just hope they are the 70s era machines and not the 50s era.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Anybody else but me think that Round 2 should get some sponsorship going for Auto parts companies to tie into their car/truck kits?

How cool would it be to have a "Napa" shop truck. Or a "Champion spark plugs" short hauler? How about a "Pep Boys" 40 sedan delivery, or a Gulf oil stake truck (with newly tooled 55 gallon barrels)?

Just sayin'

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'm sure Coke could've used a Chevy truck (as opposed to a mini Ranchero) to haul the machines around in.

Hey, it can haul 5000# of crushed Lincoln, and lose it's whitewalls between the crush yard and the farm (Goldfinger) :D

JK - 1 (5)F

Reference page on the Vendo 39, which seems to be the Coke machine the one in the AMT is based on.
http://grandamericajukebox.com/vintage-soda-machines/vendo-coke-machine-history-and-serial-numbers/#V-39

It seems to be an amalgam of the early model with the a trim strip from the later two tone model, so on top of everything else, we can gripe about how they got the Coke machine wrong.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Hey, it can haul 5000# of crushed Lincoln, and lose it's whitewalls between the crush yard and the farm (Goldfinger) :D

JK - 1 (5)F

AND a million dollars worth of gold, at @ $35 an ounce! (Do the math!) :lol:

I hadn't noticed the whitewalls before. Good catch! B)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they pretty much destroyed a Ranchero the first time they filmed that scene, and had to do it over with another one and a fake "load." :lol:

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

AND a million dollars worth of gold, at @ $35 an ounce! (Do the math!) :lol:

I hadn't noticed the whitewalls before. Good catch! B)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they pretty much destroyed a Ranchero the first time they filmed that scene, and had to do it over with another one and a fake "load." :lol:

Yeah, would have been about 7500# adding the gold, another 300-350# for Odd Job. Bad azz airlift springs. Filming they used fake load. :D

Edited by keyser

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Anybody else but me think that Round 2 should get some sponsorship going for Auto parts companies to tie into their car/truck kits?

How cool would it be to have a "Napa" shop truck. Or a "Champion spark plugs" short hauler? How about a "Pep Boys" 40 sedan delivery, or a Gulf oil stake truck (with newly tooled 55 gallon barrels)?

Just sayin'

image.jpeg.0761131f6a993dbb87d9e22640b7495a.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Maybe it had whitewall tires on only one side?

It was completely different Ranchero, they filmed the scrapyard on site, the ranch scene was at studio elsewhere. Same fake load. Didn't know that until I looked it up today. 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just sayin'

The issue is that there’s many more Coke collectors than fans of auto parts stores!