Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Round 2 2021

Mr mopar

10 hours ago, Motor City said:

Has the Fruehauf Sunoco tanker trailer ever been reissued?  My Dad bought it for some reason and never built it.  Even the box art looks neat.  These truck kits saved AMT for a while. 

Looks like the Sunoco livery was only issued in the early 70s...the most recent this past decade were Texaco then Shell.. 

32 minutes ago, ranma said:

The amt 1/24 truck will be going for near $80.00 each? Nope I won't be getting either one of them at that price! I can't see why they should be near double the price of a AMT 1/25 rig ..

These are reboxed Italeri kits, probably will be around $75 like the previous ones.  Same price range that Italeri truck kits go for in the US.  

Edited by Rob Hall

Not at the two hobby shops I seen the AMT reboxed 1/24 truck's they were priced at $79.99 Vs the AMT Mack Cruise liner @ $39.99 each. Guess which I bought at the first of October! I would rather round 2 issue the remaining IH truck kit's such as: Transtar II, Paystar 5000 logger, S-series 2575, & 2674, and the 1/32 9670 eagle kit's !

1 hour ago, ranma said:

The amt 1/24 truck will be going for near $80.00 each? Nope I won't be getting either one of them at that price! I can't see why they should be near double the price of a AMT 1/25 rig ..

I can’t afford that and wouldn’t pay that if I could...

8 hours ago, HomerS said:

1/24 Ford LTL9000 Semi Tractor Cab $94.95

Though it would be a nice item to add to my collection, but I can't see it being worth that price! Geez that's near triple the cost of a amt 1/25 semi!!! I recently bought the GMC Titan 95 for $32.95, and last Thursday  3 International 4300's for under $60.00. I've read on here that the 1/24 rigs pretty much share frames/suspension ,and engines. The ( AMT)ERTL IH kit's IMHO are much better detailed  at a better price point! Heck even the reissued payhauler 350 kit is near $30.00 cheaper than those two 1/24 semi's.......

Edited by ranma

2 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Moebius Internationals

About them I own 3 pro star kit's all bought new for less than $60.00 each! Not going to pay over 100.00 for a 1/24 because as I said before there are complaints about the frame/engine not being correct for most of the trucks.

Exactly my point, Luc! Italeri kits are expensive and these will be priced accordingly. My local shop has the Freightliner and container trailer in the AMT boxes for $74 and the Peterbilt in the Italeri box for the same. I imagine they'll have these two at a similar price 

28 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

Exactly my point, Luc! Italeri kits are expensive and these will be priced accordingly. My local shop has the Freightliner and container trailer in the AMT boxes for $74 and the Peterbilt in the Italeri box for the same. I imagine they'll have these two at a similar price 

That's what I'd assume... Tower Hobbies has them for pre-order for $76.99... around the same price Model Roundup has an Italeri Superliner listed for.

Edited by Rob Hall

On 10/26/2020 at 4:23 AM, Rob Hall said:

Looks like the Sunoco livery was only issued in the early 70s...the most recent this past decade were Texaco then Shell.. 

I got one of the Chrome Texaco trailers reissued in 2011. I was fortunate enough to trade the Texaco decal set for a set of Amoco decals. Back in the 90's, Amoco premium was the only premium fuel my high compression Pontiac 455 liked.

• 1 month later...

I guess I don't get the complaints about the price. Yes they are going to be had for around $75, but they are good kits. If you have ever built AMT kits and Italeri kits you would be happy to pay more for the Italeri kits just due to how well everything fit together. 

Also keep in mind that not all kit builders are so knowledgeable about trucks that they can identify a Mack frame from a KW frame. I know I can not and I used to work as a truck mechanic. I also don't know what engine is correct for each truck/year/model etc. I am just happy to build a kit that goes together well, fits good and has great details. 

As for the price, try buying 1/8th scale kits. I have been lucky this last year to find several kits for great prices, all used and all having issues (missing box, broken parts, etc) and I have paid over $150 each for them. I have dumped over $1000 in kits this last year. And no, I am not rich buy any stretch, this is just one of a few hobbies and I use it as therapy for my arthritic.  

$75 for a new, well built easy and fun to build kit, yes, I will pay that.