Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Chevy Pickup, First WIP

Here are a couple of shots of the 50 Chevy Pickup I'm doing for a friend at work. I don't build fast, and I need to take a few more pictures. I am using cigar box thin wood for the bed. Would like to wire the engine, plugs, heater, radiator, nothing crazy. We'll see how it goes. 

Truck interior.jpg

Truck engine.jpg

Truck bed.jpg

Couple more pictures. I mocked up the bed, will be adding the steel PE strips on the wood. I have PE and decals for the dash, need to clean up some of the paint. Going to try to add heater hoses to the firewall. 

Truck bed 2.jpg

Truck bed back.jpg

Truck bed Inside.jpg

Truck firewall and dash.jpg

I built three of this pickup this year for a project. Here’s a suggestion.. see gauges in photos below. They are just paper cut to size with a drop of clear canopy cement over them.  You can either copy your own or I believe I have an original sheet I can email to you.

71D0B31D-D420-48C6-AA92-64B4EE75B218.jpeg.caf7a78ad56bf28351bb929d769cb8c6.jpeg0A4C43D2-C430-4741-8632-3F6E0625DB82.jpeg.a6cf2f38346ee953d211a13ea0e93bc8.jpeg

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the offer. I do have the kit decals, and also a set of aftermarket ones I can use. I will put some Future over them once in place. Thanks too for all the kind words. I am slow, but hopefully will have more done soon. Want to put a back on the folding seat back. If that makes any sense.

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, not much progress. Looking for something to take a bit of the shine off the seat and make it look more like leather, a little used. I also put a back on it since it folds down. I purchased some gauge decals from vendor bestmodelcarparts on Ebay. I think they are waterslide, but I can't get them off the backer. I gave a wash to the engine, and highlighted the springs a bit. Need to do some touch up also. Used some PE on the interior, need to paint the peddles. Painting the body has been a challenge. I put a couple nice coats on, and try to clear and it wrinkles in spots. May not be waiting long enough. I'll try to polish what I have. 

Perry

Truck engine detail.jpg

Truck interior 2.jpg

Truck frame 2.jpg

Truck Frame.jpg

Truck frame 3.jpg

Another update. I will have to try some more charcoal on the seat. It seemed to tone it down some, but not enough. Have it up on 4 wheels now, I weathered the bed rails a little. I like the PE set for this, except the nose of the hood. Not quite right, but OK.

Perry

Truck bed and interior.jpg

Truck bed and interior 2.jpg

Truck hood.jpg

Truck hood 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late seeing this. You had mentioned your seat covering being to shinny. Should you still be able to remove the seat, give it a sort shot of flat clear and hold the seat at arms length when spraying. This will cut down on the shine and also add a little texture to the seat finish sort of like a vinyl seat material.