Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '76 Chevy Custom Van

Casey

32 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

I imagine it’ll have the stock parts, like the grille, hood, mirrors, etc. Hard to tell, but looks like the side of the box shows the stock version?

Those Revell vans never had stock grilles and bumpers and the flares are molded to the body.

They did have 3 or 4 different custom grilles though. 

You'll have to adapt the amt grill if you want stock. This kit has been reissued over the years in a few different themes; Hardy Boys, Charlies Angels, A-team, a yellow surf decaled version and maybe others. Lift-off roof and full custom interior. There was also a 1/16 version, the Big Bad Van. Maybe a good one for Chris to do a history on  ^_^

Edited by mk11

22 hours ago, Jordan White said:

To me, looks more like just 2 different decal options.

I was wondering about that. I bet you’re correct.

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Those Revell vans never had stock grilles and bumpers and the flares are molded to the body.

They did have 3 or 4 different custom grilles though. 

Thanks, good to know. I would have been disappointed if I grabbed one thinking I could build it stock.

It would be nice if Revell saw fit to include at least a few of the extra parts from the Mean Mudder and Convoy vans.

The Hardy Boys and Charlie's Angels vans appear to be the same parts molded in different colours. Ant lest us have some options for wheels.

40 minutes ago, alexis said:

It would be nice if Revell saw fit to include at least a few of the extra parts from the Mean Mudder and Convoy vans.

The Hardy Boys and Charlie's Angels vans appear to be the same parts molded in different colours. Ant lest us have some options for wheels.

The Convoy van and Hardy Boys van is identical to this upcoming release except for the decals and color of plastic.

You missed one, the "Brute Force" van is also based on this kit but has the big rig add-on parts.

There was also a few other vans in sets with trailers , basically identical to the Mean Mudder.

Brute Force Big Rig Custom Chevy Van Revell kit # H-1394 41 yr old sealed  kit! | #1970340857

4 hours ago, alexis said:

Looks like they've chromed the wheels. Many of the releases of this kit have no chrome at all.

True, but that was during the "no chrome" era at Revell. IIRC, the last release in 2000 included chrome plated parts.

4 hours ago, alexis said:

Those look like they might be two-piece tires. I sure hope not.......

I think the built up model was based upon an older/vintage kit. The box art clearly shows tampo-printed Firestone tires, and Revell wouldn't dare mold and include two-piece vinyl tires in a modern release.