Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junk Yard Details Testing

tiking

Great use of your skills of observation and ability to apply what you see in miniature. The texture and colors of the oxidation on the bare metal is outstanding.Only thing I would add would be some short weeds or dead leaves blown back into some open area here and there. Overall it's very real world believable. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us.

Edited by misterNNL

On 10/23/2020 at 3:08 PM, misterNNL said:

Great use of your skills of observation and ability to apply what you see in miniature. The texture and colors of the oxidation on the bare metal is outstanding.Only thing I would add would be some short weeds or dead leaves blown back into some open area here and there. Overall it's very real world believable. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us.

Glad you like it.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Charles!

This is really "picture perfect", the details are ultra-realistic. Bravo! I am truly impressed by your windshield treatment. Masterful!

CT

Thank you Claude.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, crazyjim said:

WOW!!

Thanks Jim.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I agree with the others, the aging effect is just fantastic!  Each element can be mistaken for real things.  Simply outstanding work sir!!! ?

Much appreciated. Just made a few updates since those photos were taken. Will post photos later.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, lordairgtar said:

I think this has the right amount of griminess to it. I'd be afraid to touch it thinking I would get old oil on myself. Hence...perfection.

:) thanks.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, ewetwo said:

Excellent.

Thanks ewetwo.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

This is very well done! You should do a tutorial on your technique for the broken glass; that is especially convincing. Teach us!!

Thank you. I think I had already explained under another response in this thread. But anyways, I simply used smartphone glass protection. Its the most realistic material to use. Try it. But it has to be the glass version, not the plastic one. 

Edited by tiking

Charles, the diorama looks excellent.  One suggestion though: the tires (the ones on the van, and the loose ones) have tread that is too clean.  You have the sidewalls of the tires weathered, but the treads look clean (as if the tires were new, or driven on paved roads). Junk yards are muddy places, and the treads woudl be filled with dried up mud.  Actually, to take this one step further, maybe sand the tread on some of the tires down, so they look almost bald.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Charles, the diorama looks excellent.  One suggestion though: the tires (the ones on the van, and the loose ones) have tread that is too clean.  You have the sidewalls of the tires weathered, but the treads look clean (as if the tires were new, or driven on paved roads). Junk yards are muddy places, and the treads woudl be filled with dried up mud.  Actually, to take this one step further, maybe sand the tread on some of the tires down, so they look almost bald.

I know. I mentioned it in the beginning that I was not a 100% done with the diorama. I had already planned to shave down the threads and weather the tyres even more.

I've seen many junkyards before. There are plus and minuses. Everything is not what everyone expects for all junkyards. There are muddy and there resonable looking junkyards. All depending on the weather conditions and various components and their spillage. I take a bit from the ones I've seen. Since these photos were taken, I have since done more weathering and added more or less details. Don't worry. Ive done my research before building this, like majority of my builds. Thank you for your advice and comments. 

Edited by tiking

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

very impressive, Charles - how did you create the broken windshield of the Transit?

Thank you.  I simply used smartphone glass protection. Its the most realistic material to use. Try it. But it has to be the glass version, not the plastic one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 12:36 AM, bisc63 said:

This is very well done! You should do a tutorial on your technique for the broken glass; that is especially convincing. Teach us!!

Yessss! And I can't get over the track rollers.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:35 AM, landman said:

Yessss! And I can't get over the track rollers.

:) Thanks man!

On 6/5/2021 at 3:44 AM, Paul Payne said:

About as believable as it gets- I would say clean build but somehow it just doesn't fit!

HeHe! Thank you kindly.