Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '69 Super bee six pack

Mr mopar

If you want a model of this car on your shelf but can't find the Monogram kit, or don't have the time to build one, Motor Max has a rather nice diecast in 1/24 that's very reasonably priced. I've seen them in yellow, orange (like this one, though it looks red in these pics), and I think green. Mine is proudly holding down the slot on my shelf until I can get around to building the kit. 

69DodgeSB01.jpg.c8398c2029771f2ebb40c7d189e28531.jpg

69DodgeSB05.jpg.a30470536e9fe0b554debbfbc42bd293.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 2:02 PM, RichCostello said:

I had the same car in the early 70s. Mine had the two black hood scoops(ram air)and different wheels, but otherwise identical, and oh yeah, it was FAST.

I had a 69 R/T and it was Fast!  Love your SuperBee

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the old Goodyear Steel Belted Radial tires are no longer included, having been replace with some blank sidewall...Goodyear Eagle ST tires? The Goodyear GT Radials? Hard to tell in the video.

And the Super Bees captured inside the bumblebee tail stripe are both facing the correct direction again, too.  

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It appears the old Goodyear Steel Belted Radial tires are no longer included, having been replace with some blank sidewall...Goodyear Eagle ST tires? The Goodyear GT Radials?

Those tyres are unquestionably the now-sans-name Good~Year GT Radial tyres that have been in practically every Monogram kit since c.1982 ( Challenger T/A , '70 BOSS 429 , '70 SS-454 Chevelle , '70 GTX , et alia ) .

Thankfully , Chief Joseph makes the correct 15"x6" steel wheels , and the correct tyres . 

The otherwise nice kit still has --aside from the incorrect Road Wheels-- a disc brake master cylinder . The 1:1 cars were available only with 4-wheel drum brakes (power-assist was an option) .  Would be nice if Revell-Monogram would pitch those dime-a-dozen Centerline wheels into the dumpster , and tool up some Keystone Klassics or Ansen Sprints , etc. , to replace them .

A little "trick" regarding the exhaust system on the 1969 Super Bee ( and its '70 GTX-Road Runner-SuperBird and 1971 Satellite-Road Runner-GTX relatives ) : Glue the exhaust manifolds to the exhaust pipes before painting and securing the assembly to the chassis . It provides the opportunity to clean-up the gap between the manifolds' exhaust "ends" and the underchassis exhaust . 

Additionally ; remove the rearmost exhaust from the rear axle , and grind the big chunk of plastic away for a realistic look . 

Those decals look GREAT in this release !

Uh-oh.

The tires in the video are pretty clearly the old Goodyear Radial GT's. Nothing wrong with those tires, except that they won't fit the wheels or wheelbacks that come in this kit. They have a smaller inner diameter than the Goodyear Polysteel Radials that used to come with this kit. I checked the last issue of this kit that I have (circa 2005), and they come with no-name-former Polysteels.   

One could always buzz out some of the insides of the tires to get them to fit the wheels and wheel backs, but I have the feeling that some modelers will be trying to get these tires to fit the wheels in the kit in vain. It will be nearly impossible without removing some of the material from the insides of the tires.

I hope Revell catches this and includes the right tires for this kit. Some modelers could make the GT's work, but others might get a tad frustrated with them.   

The Radial GT's came with the Hemi Cuda, '70 Boss Mustang, Challenger T/A, 70 Chevelle SS 454, 70 Buick GSX, while the skinnier, larger inner-diameter Polysteel Radials came with the '69 Super Bee, '68 and '69 GTO's, '70 GTX, Road Runner and Superbird, and '71 Satellite & GTX.  

On the plus side, I always liked the GT's better than the Polysteels because they look a little beefier.

Also- to me, the Magnum 500's that came in this kit, as well as in the Road Runners/ GTX's, always looked too large & out of scale. Muscle Mopars only ever came with 14" Magnums. I have sometimes replaced them with the ones that came in the AMT/MPC '69 Charger 500's and Daytonas. Combined with the shorter but wider Radial GT's (or better yet- AMT's old hollow Polyglas GT's), those wheels always looked a little better on 1/24 builds.   

I'll still have to pick one of these up. The box art is really nice, the new decals are, too. Notice you get BFG Radial TA decals for the tires now. I wish some really, really nice BFG TA's came in newer kits. Fireball Modelworks does some, but it would be nice to see new ones.  

Edited by CapSat 6

On 11/18/2020 at 12:31 PM, 1972coronet said:

The 1:1 cars were available only with 4-wheel drum brakes (power-assist was an option) . 

Not a MOPAR expert, but was this something special for the six-pack cars? The 69 Coronet sales brochure states that power disc brakes were an option on any V8 model.

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Not a MOPAR expert, but was this something special for the six-pack cars? The 69 Coronet sales brochure states that power disc brakes were an option on any V8 model.

For whatever reason , the 4-wheel (heavy duty) drums were the only binders with the 1969 1/2 R.R. and Super Bee 440+6 package . Likewise , all were equipped with a Dana 60 (4.10 gear) , regardless of transmission . No optional wheels , either  ; just 15"x6" police-spec wheels ( with an "H.D." stamped on the retainer ring ) in gloss black with chromed lug nuts .

19 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Uh-oh.

The tires in the video are pretty clearly the old Goodyear Radial GT's. Nothing wrong with those tires, except that they won't fit the wheels or wheelbacks that come in this kit. They have a smaller inner diameter than the Goodyear Polysteel Radials that used to come with this kit. I checked the last issue of this kit that I have (circa 2005), and they come with no-name-former Polysteels.   

One could always buzz out some of the insides of the tires to get them to fit the wheels and wheel backs, but I have the feeling that some modelers will be trying to get these tires to fit the wheels in the kit in vain. It will be nearly impossible without removing some of the material from the insides of the tires.

I hope Revell catches this and includes the right tires for this kit. Some modelers could make the GT's work, but others might get a tad frustrated with them.   

The Radial GT's came with the Hemi Cuda, '70 Boss Mustang, Challenger T/A, 70 Chevelle SS 454, 70 Buick GSX, while the skinnier, larger inner-diameter Polysteel Radials came with the '69 Super Bee, '68 and '69 GTO's, '70 GTX, Road Runner and Superbird, and '71 Satellite & GTX.  

On the plus side, I always liked the GT's better than the Polysteels because they look a little beefier.

Also- to me, the Magnum 500's that came in this kit, as well as in the Road Runners/ GTX's, always looked too large & out of scale. Muscle Mopars only ever came with 14" Magnums. I have sometimes replaced them with the ones that came in the AMT/MPC '69 Charger 500's and Daytonas. Combined with the shorter but wider Radial GT's (or better yet- AMT's old hollow Polyglas GT's), those wheels always looked a little better on 1/24 builds.   

I'll still have to pick one of these up. The box art is really nice, the new decals are, too. Notice you get BFG Radial TA decals for the tires now. I wish some really, really nice BFG TA's came in newer kits. Fireball Modelworks does some, but it would be nice to see new ones.  

Dunno what's going on, but asked a friend who happens to have one of these on his bench and he says, that the tires which are included in this kit fit the rims and backings. so maybe they're newly tooled tires or they retooled the rims (maybe Tim Boyd can investigate).....anyway he send some pics to show they do fit.

Cheers

Luc

superbee1.jpeg

superbee2.jpeg

superbee3.jpeg

Superbee4.jpeg

On 11/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Dunno what's going on, but asked a friend who happens to have one of these on his bench and he says, that the tires which are included in this kit fit the rims and backings. so maybe they're newly tooled tires or they retooled the rims (maybe Tim Boyd can investigate).....anyway he send some pics to show they do fit.

Cheers

Luc

superbee1.jpeg

superbee2.jpeg

superbee3.jpeg

Superbee4.jpeg

Well that’s evidence. That’s good news. I was just thinking I’ll have to buy one of these anyway!