Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '56 Chevy Del Ray

Mr mopar

11 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

If confirmed

There are multiple online hobby shops and distributors which list releases well in advance of their street date, plus, it was mentioned here on the forum a few weeks ago in another topic.

14 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I agree, the 56 is the best looking one of the bunch!

The wheel radiuses and rear end treatment were an improvement over the '55 (IMHO). The front end always struck me as a poorman's '56 Cadillac (which I love).

Replacing the oddish '56 taillights with aftermarket red plexi units was an easy custom tweak.

Unknown.jpegimages.jpeg.8e9956d2de68e601ffdcf9b028d07f10.jpegimages-1.jpeg.8770aa396d9f9efb0c09e65526f2e30b.jpeg

Edited by blizzy63

13 hours ago, Casey said:

There are multiple online hobby shops and distributors which list releases well in advance of their street date, plus, it was mentioned here on the forum a few weeks ago in another topic.

Thanks.

For this kit, I learned of it first here...

On 10/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, alexis said:

I'd prefer the '55.

I'm not fond of the '56 car's looks. Chevy never should have "Improved" the '55, IMHO.

I dont care for 55s or 56s. 57 was the best of that generation. But, I may still buy one.

Interesting views on the Tri-Fives!  Everyone likes one of the years best!

I owned a 1:1 56 back in the day? Why a 56? Because that was the opportunity presented to me at the time.. a rust free 6 cylinder 2 door sedan with less than 60,000 miles on it, bought direct from the lil ole lady who bought it new...  

I did learn to appreciate it as the forgotten year as both the 55 and 57 got a lot more attention

3 hours ago, blizzy63 said:

The wheel radiuses and rear end treatment were an improvement over the '55 (IMHO). The front end always struck me as a poorman's '56 Cadillac (which I love).

Replacing the oddish '56 taillights with aftermarket red plexi units was an easy custom tweak.

Unknown.jpegimages.jpeg.8e9956d2de68e601ffdcf9b028d07f10.jpegimages-1.jpeg.8770aa396d9f9efb0c09e65526f2e30b.jpeg

Your ad for the taillights reminds me of a set I bought for my '57 Ford. Lee Plastics made some interesting looking lenses for most of the popular car lines and they were not expensive and good quality. 

I'll throw my wig into the fray --- 1956 is my favourite year for the so-called Tri-Five Chevys . That's followed by the 1955 ; 1957 is "last" (but , I do rather enjoy the less-embellished 150 and 210 coupes from the '57 model year) .

My friend's dad has a '56 four door sedan Lowrider which he built in the 60's . Last time I saw it , it was still in the garage at their home in western Whittier... still wearing its Appleton's , organ pipe speakers , Bellflower Pipes , Craig 4-Track , and factory-original blue paint .

I never could bring myself to build mine. The front end just looks too bulky, especially the front bumper.  

The Revell 57 Ford suffers from this also.

A side view of either car clearly shows the bumper is quite a bit higher than the bottom of the rocker panel.

proos_nomad_04.jpg

e720165fa7f73736f4b6408e7345a0e3.jpg

Edited by Sledsel

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'll throw my wig into the fray --- 1956 is my favourite year for the so-called Tri-Five Chevys . That's followed by the 1955 ; 1957 is "last" (but , I do rather enjoy the less-embellished 150 and 210 coupes from the '57 model year) .

My friend's dad has a '56 four door sedan Lowrider which he built in the 60's . Last time I saw it , it was still in the garage at their home in western Whittier... still wearing its Appleton's , organ pipe speakers , Bellflower Pipes , Craig 4-Track , and factory-original blue paint .

My favorite year too!   But followed by 1957 and 1955 being my least favorite!   Like I said earlier everyone likes 'em but in different order!  

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

I never could bring myself to build mine. The front end just looks too bulky, especially the front bumper.  

The Revell 57 Ford suffers from this also.

A side view of either car clearly shows the bumper is quite a bit higher than the bottom of the rocker panel.

proos_nomad_04.jpg

From the day this kit came out, it was a known thing.... I believe it's that the pan sticks out too much.  I do want to build one and when I eventually do I will address the issue.  When I build a replica of my old '56 that's not a problem since it had no front bumper!  ?

The Nomad has a peak in the top of the fenders that shouldn't be there. I don't know if the sedan has the same issue or not. 

The front end on the '56 Nomad eerily reminds me of the one on the old Monogram kits.

I've always preferred the '55 over the '56 and '57. 

Edited by Plowboy

I'll need one of these, I just picked up the AMT '55 Chevy at Hobby Lobby on Monday. I'm also looking for a nice building '56 and '57 Chevy, so I'll be halfway there when this is released. The box art is cool to a certain degree, showing the stock and custom versions, but I'll be building it somewhere in-between.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

When I build a replica of my old '56 that's not a problem since it had no front bumper!  ?

Any model '56 Chevy I build won't have a front bumper, unless someone happens to commission me to build a model of a vintage Junior Stock or M/P drag car. B)

Having had a '56 210 in our family, I'm partial to them as well. A family friend bought it new:

464662843_Masonhisnew56Chevy.jpeg.2f3054ee0a672ea80b5c70652dcc8e06.jpeg

And after we got it in '66. By then the front fenders and rear doglegs were rotted out:glenviewblizzardjan67a.jpg.9b891a1ae5d7f0c825537220c82bac82.jpg

I have both the Nomad (started) and Del Ray (boxed). Speaking of the Lee taillights, I made a set for the Nomad by cutting down a set of AMT 1/16 scale '55 Chevy taillight lenses:

IMG_0343.JPG.23fd692e9a09e19a319370b03d02ab9b.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG.3a614475dd590216081c2b5260bb1c84.JPG

1956 150 was my very first car, I paid $100 for it.  Body was solid, interior looked like a couple of male Bengal tigers had a domination issue, of course old bed spreads took care of that.  Six cylinder three on the tree, but it was MY car and it gave me freedom.  I have always been partial to the '56.  In fact I have two of the original issue DelRays and one of the California Wheels issues in my stash.

The Revell '56 is a good kit for police car fans, too.  This vintage Chevy ad pitches both the 2-door and 4-door '56 150 and 210 body styles for police work.  The Los Angeles Police Dept. used 1956 Chevy 4-doors, one of the rare years that department didn't go with Ford or MoPar. 

Somebody did a really nice 4-door resin body for the Revell kit, complete with new inner door panels. I found one at a kit swap meet but don't know who made it.

6.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Somebody did a really nice 4-door resin body for the Revell kit, complete with new inner door panels. I found one at a kit swap meet but don't know who made it.

6.jpg

I have a 56 four door hardtop that was done by Ed Fluck Senior aka F&F Resin back in the day.  Recently Joe Konrad did it does a number of 1950s  four door cars. I cannot remember his company name nor find it on Facebook at the moment.

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Having had a '56 210 in our family, I'm partial to them as well. A family friend bought it new:

464662843_Masonhisnew56Chevy.jpeg.2f3054ee0a672ea80b5c70652dcc8e06.jpeg

And after we got it in '66. By then the front fenders and rear doglegs were rotted out:glenviewblizzardjan67a.jpg.9b891a1ae5d7f0c825537220c82bac82.jpg

I have both the Nomad (started) and Del Ray (boxed). Speaking of the Lee taillights, I made a set for the Nomad by cutting down a set of AMT 1/16 scale '55 Chevy taillight lenses:

IMG_0343.JPG.23fd692e9a09e19a319370b03d02ab9b.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG.3a614475dd590216081c2b5260bb1c84.JPG

Chris. Your picture reminds me of our family's '56. Even the snow bank, we lived near Barrington at the time. Our was the Nassau Blue and White with the 6 and 3 speed. They must have sold a lot of those. Dad didn't even spring for the AM Radio. We at least had a heater such as it was. You could die of exposure in the Illinois winters while driving.  

When I was a kid, my dad owned a gas station and would deal the occasional used car on the side. Sometimes mom would drive one of the used cars for a while as a second family car before sending it down the road. 

Somewhere around 1964 or '65, before I really got into cars (which was the summer of '66), our "second car" was a green '56 Chevy convertible. Mom only put the top down once, which is when I learned I don't like riding in convertibles (still don't to this day). When Dad started thinking about moving the '56 on, he asked me if I'd like him to save it for me, because "I know all the kids like the old Chevies." No, I told him, I really don't like convertibles, let it go. He sold it to the hot-rodding family down the street. Of course a few years later, when I got my license and was thoroughly into cars, I regretted passing it up.