Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4Q 2020

niteowl7710

13 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Why has this thread gone from Revell releases to really UGLY cars with square headlights?

Blame it on the custom Chevy van kit with the quad rectangular headlights.  Apparently most of us found the headlight history lesson more interesting than the releases! ?

1 hour ago, Brian Austin said:

Non-round headlights are kind of interesting.  American cars sporting CIBIE lights can be interesting.

I got into model cars in 1966. Many of the AMT kits included the Cibie headlight as part of the custom options. I think maybe some MPCs as well. 

I think some of these headlights survive in reissues to this day. 

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh, I’ve been wanting to build a Grumman LLV - that S10 kit will be helpful for that hopefully.  Wrong engine though.

Unfortunately not this version of the kit, it is basically the Syclone kit but with Chevy body parts and wheels. You would be better off finding one of the older releases that has the stock 2WD parts and engine parts, and then you'll have to find a GM 4-cylinder as well (I think someone pointed out an old Cavalier kit has one that is close).

Looks like the unofficial headlamp post - so here goes.

So , let's give the 7" round sealed beam some love, too

The 7" round sealed beam  headlamp in the U.S. was not required by the Nazis or the Soviets, and not even the Feds... In 1940, there were no Federal requirements - each state had their own motor vehicle regulations.  Thankfully, the  state transportation departments worked together to standardize things or we  could have had 48 different standards for manufacturers and motorists to comply with.  The U.S Department of Transportation, National Highway Transportation Highway Safety Administration, and, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards all came about in the mid-1960's.  The FMVSS apply to motor vehicle manufacturers so states still have their own requirements for vehicles on the road.   

Standardizing on a 7" sealed beam was an improvement over the previous headlamp technology.  The reflector inside a non-sealed assembly could get dirty or rust/corrode, impairing the effectiveness of the lamp.  Replacements lenses could be difficult to find for some of the smaller makes - imagine finding a lenses for a fifteen year old 1928 Hudson.

The cost and availability of replacements was also a factor in the safety standards - headlamps don't work if you can't find or afford parts.  The 7" round and 5-3/4" sealed beams were available everywhere at a very reasonable price - dealers, parts stores, hardware store, probably even some grocery stores.  

14 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Unfortunately not this version of the kit, it is basically the Syclone kit but with Chevy body parts and wheels. You would be better off finding one of the older releases that has the stock 2WD parts and engine parts, and then you'll have to find a GM 4-cylinder as well (I think someone pointed out an old Cavalier kit has one that is close).

Ahh bummer - thanks for the info though!  I hadn’t really started researching this build properly so it’s good to find out about that now...appreciate it!

20 hours ago, Muncie said:

Looks like the unofficial headlamp post - so here goes.

So , let's give the 7" round sealed beam some love, too

The 7" round sealed beam  headlamp in the U.S. was not required by the Nazis or the Soviets, and not even the Feds... In 1940, there were no Federal requirements - each state had their own motor vehicle regulations.  Thankfully, the  state transportation departments worked together to standardize things or we  could have had 48 different standards for manufacturers and motorists to comply with.  The U.S Department of Transportation, National Highway Transportation Highway Safety Administration, and, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards all came about in the mid-1960's.  The FMVSS apply to motor vehicle manufacturers so states still have their own requirements for vehicles on the road.   

Standardizing on a 7" sealed beam was an improvement over the previous headlamp technology.  The reflector inside a non-sealed assembly could get dirty or rust/corrode, impairing the effectiveness of the lamp.  Replacements lenses could be difficult to find for some of the smaller makes - imagine finding a lenses for a fifteen year old 1928 Hudson.

The cost and availability of replacements was also a factor in the safety standards - headlamps don't work if you can't find or afford parts.  The 7" round and 5-3/4" sealed beams were available everywhere at a very reasonable price - dealers, parts stores, hardware store, probably even some grocery stores.  

Those definitely were the good old days. You could go to the store and not even need to look up the part number for your headlamp. And don't even get me started on how much LED taillights cost to replace. 

53 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Last I heard it was tentatively planned for Q1 2021.  Let's hope that is correct info, and that Revell sticks to that plan.....TIM 

Thanks Tim. Do you have any info, if of course you are at liberty to say, if once released, Revell plans on adding variations like they did with '32 series? 

2 hours ago, mrm said:

Thanks Tim. Do you have any info, if of course you are at liberty to say, if once released, Revell plans on adding variations like they did with '32 series? 

If one looks at the re-issue of the roadster kit, you'll notice it's a complete retool from the original 3D files, and if there are other planned variations made up from different parts from what has been released previously, they too needed to be retooled, but since I never heard Tim mentioning other variations, I doubt it.

Edited by Luc Janssens

8 hours ago, mrm said:

Before the Hobbico debacle and whatever caused the production interruption, there were some very elemental discussions about other variations in the future. 

But my sense now is that such an action would be several years away, if at all.  Especially given what has transpired since then.  

As for me, the '30A 5W coupe kit itself provides the basis for nearly endless kitbashing and body variations.   Like you, I WANT to see that one back on the market, and as soon as humanly possible!  TIM 

4 hours ago, oldrevellfan said:

for me I am waiting for the 30 coupe for so long (because it never come to europe!) and for a realease of the "Rat roaster" even with variation.

I dream of a correct reissue of the 33/34 Monogram roadster

Sinse Revell Germany took over the European distribution for Revell-Monogram kits (somewhere in the late '80s), it became a story of hit and miss, sometimes you'll find them easy enough and sometimes you'll have to resort to parallel import or North American vendors. this past year was an exception tho, most likely due to the implosion of Hobbico, cuz suddenly Revell USA kits popped up at local hobby stores and reasonably cheap too (€20). My guess is, that because of the vacuum in the North American operations, all merchandise headed to the US was diverted to Revell's headquarters in Bünde Germany.

But no worries, the Roadster has been re-popped, and don't see a reason why the coup can't follow......

Edited by Luc Janssens