Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1971 Ford T-Bird

doorsovdoon

This is the 1971 Bird of Paradise Thunderbird by AMT, a very psychedelic looking car on the box art but can be built to look like one posh looking bird! When I started this kit I went in to the build with very little enthusiasm, but as it came together I really started to enjoy this one. I was going to go with a set of wire wheels but the custom wheels that come with this kit look so much nicer. As with most of these old promo style kits the engine bay was lacking a lot of detail, so I added plug wires, brake lines, a master cylinder and heater hoses, they're not accurate to the real car but this was my first time going into this much detail. This is an extremely basic kit and super easy to build, it even comes with a fake engine plate to fill in the hole underneath to build curbside.The chassis is moulded as one piece with only the exhausts and axle being separate but the mould details are excellent and can be picked out very easily. With a nice set of wheels, a vinyl roof, and the right paint colour, this is one pretty neat kit and shows the old promo style kits are not something to be sniffed at. No fit issues, it went together perfectly. On to the next one:)

20201009_161318.JPG

20201009_161332.JPG

20201009_161408.JPG

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Turned out nice Gareth, its funny how a kit you have no enthusiasm for in the beginning can change your mind. After watching yours come together I've added it to my ebay list

I highly recommend it. When I saw the style and how basic the kit was I thought there's no way I can make this look good, I was very wrong! It wasn't until I started painting and foiling the car that all the curves and detail started to show the potential this kit has. If Round2 did some re-working of the chassis and engine bay they could be on to a real winner with this one!

Beautiful looking T-Bird. I remember you talking about this color and how it looked even when the earlier pictures had it looking silver. As you started adding the trim and then the interior and now you can clearly see the shade of blue you had mentioned. Another great looking build for your display. 

14 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking T-Bird. I remember you talking about this color and how it looked even when the earlier pictures had it looking silver. As you started adding the trim and then the interior and now you can clearly see the shade of blue you had mentioned. Another great looking build for your display. 

Thanks, Dave. Yes, it is a very light blue, I think it was a left over can of paint I used on my '62 Electra to touch up areas where I rubbed through when polishing, a different shade but very close.

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

Looks great Gareth. 

I honestly thought I was looking at a brochure picture for a second when I opened the post!

Thanks, Steve. I wish the sun was out when I took the shots but I haven't seen that thing for weeks, it would have really made the model pop.

That came out great!

Excellent color choice, especially with the vinyl top and pinstriping. The red interior does make it pop.

I like the details you added to the engine bay. I used the curbside option on mine simply because it was offered and it was something I hadn't tried before.

David G.