Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1971 Ford T-Bird

doorsovdoon

Gareth, this looks really classy, very Lincolnesque! The stance is great. Colour choices are spot on. These cars really benefit from vinyl roofs. I suppose what the promo type kits lack in detail they make up for in accuracy of body lines. ? Very well done sir!

Thanks, guys. The red interior was an idea I got from seeing a Ford Cortina in a similar colour scheme, it was silver with red interior and a vinyl roof. The blue I used is not too far off silver it's so light, so I went with a dark red interior and it worked well. I only noticed after uploading the pictures that my gear shifter has fallen off. Dang it, and I scratch built that too.

Got to add my $.02 to this build.  That is one mighty fine looking Bird.  As mentioned earlier I thought the first picture was a staged brochure photo, then I noticed there was no driver.  That color really sets it off.  I have heard many negative reports on this kit, but looking at your build I may take mine out of the "for sale" box and put it back on the "too build" shelf.  Thanks for sharing this beauty with us.

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Got to add my $.02 to this build.  That is one mighty fine looking Bird.  As mentioned earlier I thought the first picture was a staged brochure photo, then I noticed there was no driver.  That color really sets it off.  I have heard many negative reports on this kit, but looking at your build I may take mine out of the "for sale" box and put it back on the "too build" shelf.  Thanks for sharing this beauty with us.

Thanks, Ricky. The only negative thing I found is the front and rear valance are part of the chassis plate and not separate pieces, but easily cut off, and the front valance should be chrome on the '71 model. The body and underside is very well detailed but extremely basic, being such an old kit I can't fault it in any way.

13 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Looks Fantastic!

Although it is an old school kit, they still build up nice.

Anyone wanting more chassis detail can use the 65/66 Galaxie suspension with a few mods.

Good to know. Thanks, Andy. It's another kit I'd like to build again for sure.

23 hours ago, Mr. Turbo said:

Man, that's cool.  It's hard to unsee the box art once you've seen it but I applaud your vision.  Super classy but with muscle car undertones.  ?

Thanks, JJ. Yes, those decals are pretty blinding! They would look great on a VW bus build.?

21 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Very nice result. When I saw the first two pics, it looked 1:1 rolling down the road with the street blurred. The background surface gave the illusion of motion.

Cheers, Bill. Yeah, it gives a strange effect in some photos, it's the lid of my storage box outside.

After watching a video on YouTube of someone building one of these, they said there was a miniature box included with the kit. I had a look in the (full size) box and there it was! It was laid flat upside down on the bottom, I didn't even notice it. So here's another pic with the miniature, and regular box, included! Lol  

20201018_183815.JPG