Model Cars Magazine Forum

MFH 1/12 Wire Wheel Assembly

I am building a Model Factory Hiro 1/12 1962 Ferrari GTO. It is 95% complete and looks absolutely beautiful. Although it was challenging, I think I successfully met the challenges and enjoyed doing it. Now I am trying to build the wire wheels and am finding it absolutely excruciating. I'm a reasonably experienced amateur modeler with a good set of tools and a good set of eyes (and magnifying lenses). But I build models for pleasure, not to torture myself. I haven't finished one wheel and believe, to do so, it will take me about 10 hours of extremely tedious work. Then there are three more to go. Are there any tips, techniques or tricks I am missing? I know someone on this forum wrote some time ago that he was able to finish a 1/12 MFH wire wheel , although it was slightly different than the ones I have,  in 2 1/2 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

34 minutes ago, Dayknyc said:

I am building a Model Factory Hiro 1/12 1962 Ferrari GTO. It is 95% complete and looks absolutely beautiful. Although it was challenging, I think I successfully met the challenges and enjoyed doing it. Now I am trying to build the wire wheels and am finding it absolutely excruciating. I'm a reasonably experienced amateur modeler with a good set of tools and a good set of eyes (and magnifying lenses). But I build models for pleasure, not to torture myself. I haven't finished one wheel and believe, to do so, it will take me about 10 hours of extremely tedious work. Then there are three more to go. Are there any tips, techniques or tricks I am missing? I know someone on this forum wrote some time ago that he was able to finish a 1/12 MFH wire wheel , although it was slightly different than the ones I have,  in 2 1/2 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

some of these may be some help

I have the very same kit as you Day, but I haven't even begin to start it yet. There's a builder here by the name of Bruce Tanaka (Brudda) that built a MFH Ferrari, but I can't remember if his had wires or not.

Hope to see pics of yours on the board sometime! That is a VERY interesting kit in that the engine with pistons, valves and all actually "works".

Just took a look at Bruce's page and his didn't have the wires on the one he did, but those threads suggested above are very good ones.

You probably realize this, but I'd be treating those wheels as if they were kits in themselves. Time consuming, but worth the effort in building them as they're going together pretty much like the actual car. ;)

I started my GTO kit #K468 by doing  the wheels first and treating them as a kit in themselves as Bill suggests which is always an excellent  idea.

I initially found the first wheel a bit  challenging as it was all new to me but once I had it figured out how they assembled it all fell in to place and subsequent wheels were a breeze.

I never timed myself as it wasn't a race to finish them. I just took my time and enjoyed the experience of seeing the wheels  come together. 

I've got no tips or techniques to pass on other than to thoroughly read the instructions so you are conversant with the assembly process and then everything will come together without issues.

Having the right attitude towards the process will see your  battle won and give you immense satisfaction when finished.

IMG_5701.jpeg

Thanks so much for your responses! I say, with no sarcasm, that I am sure most on this forum are far more expert than I and the advice is very much appreciated. I'm certainly trying to follow the instructions and have the wheel rim and hub properly mounted on the jig. Did you in fact cut each spoke individually before putting it in place? I have initially tacked them in place with CA, with the intention of reinforcing around the rim with epoxy once all spokes are in place. Does that sound sensible? Is there some other fastening technique that I should be using? Did you modify the inner hubs or simply assemble them as supplied?  I can't help but think, due to my inexperience, there is some "expert" technique that is eluding me. Perhaps I simply need more time and patience, but I am also in the process of personally restoring a full-scale Ferrari (not a  250 GTO, alas) and, at 72 years of age, try to prioritize my projects. Attached are some photos of portions of the model I have already assembled.

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

You've done an excellent job Day.  I just left all the spokes at the supplied length during assembly and tacked each one to hold in place till the rim was assembled then  slopped  a healthy amount of epoxy in to the grove to ensure a solid structure. 

It all looked like a hedge hog at this stage and I then went around with the snippers and cut off the protrusions

The  inner hubs in my kit were of a poor quality  when you put the two pieces together so i ran JB Weld in to the  the gaps and redrilled the holes with a pin vise to ensure the spoke were positively located.

I can't help but feel there has to be a better way to manufacture that inner hub to ensure a more positive fit for the spokes but working with what was supplied it worked out okay.

There is no rocket science or special techniques needed to assemble the rims. Once you've  got your head around how it all goes together the rims don't present any dramas.

IMG_8876.jpeg

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

Thanks so much, Ron. I believe you have given me the inspiration to "tough this out." On my second wheel, I will give special attention to preparing the inner hub. I didn't send pictures, but the car body is finished and also looks great. I'm anxious to finally put everything together.

I always wanted to visit New Zealand and finally did so about a year and half ago. I found the country, and its inhabitants, absolutely wonderful. Stay well.