Model Cars Magazine Forum

MotorMax 2018 Ford Mustang GT

THarrison351

I've had this for quite awhile. When I started to do some detailing on on it, I realized the the wheels were incorrect. The wheels on the model are correct for an EcoBoost with the Performance Package not the GT. I have a set of the correct wheels from a 2015 Maisto Mustang GT. I was going to use them, but once I started looking at what it would take, I had second thoughts and put it on the back burner. It also needed wider tires that I didn't have, the chassis would also need extensive modifications because the correct wheels were almost 1/4" wider than the existing wheels. If I'd had a set of spare tires to fit the wheels, I probably would have done this. I wasn't going to purchase another kit to finish this $10 cheapie.

When I finished getting my hobby room setup, I decided to finish this Mustang as best as I could regardless of the wheels and tires. I added a couple of silver or chrome paint details to the interior bucket. The body ended up needing the most paint work. The black trim around the windows was poorly applied, so I used paint pens to cover up all the orange that was showing up between the windows and the trim. I also painted the interior ceiling and mirror which were molded clear. I painted the chassis plate's exhaust and transmission silver. The toughest part was painting the calipers through the wheel spokes. I tried twisting and prying, but the wheels felt like they were going to break the spokes before they would release from the axle. Finally, I sanded the tire treads for a proper Snake-Fu.

2v2HCTDvqxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HCTDEgxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HCTizgxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HCTiMLxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HCTi5nxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HCTi8CxAVNRq.jpg

After I've taken these photos, I realized more paint will be needed to be added to the lower grill.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, randyc said:

Looks good. 

19 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

I really like these, actually.... As long as you don't open the dog leg doors, it looks awesome... 

Thanks! I like them too and they're cheap and fill holes for the plastic models that aren't available. I hate the dog legs too, but I rarely open the doors.

The grill's a little better, but not perfect.

2v2HCjkYgxAVNRq.jpg

On 10/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, THarrison351 said:

Thanks! I like them too and they're cheap and fill holes for the plastic models that aren't available. I hate the dog legs too, but I rarely open the doors.

The grill's a little better, but not perfect.

You know, I actually saw these wheels on a 5.0, yesterday... Not saying they're available in this version, as there is a lot of theft around Houston... They may have been a junkyard replacement...

Edited by kilrathy10

I had to go back into that neighborhood I saw the Mustang 5.0 with those stock wheels... This time I got a shot of it.... Definitely a 5.0, for sure, but I don't know what year... That could play a part in the availability of the wheels... I love this one, though... Looks great with those wheels on it...

##########20201021_185459.jpg

Ok, this body style Mustang started in 2015. They may have been using the wheel for other packages. I don't know. Here is the specs from the 2018 brochure. The correct wheels for the GT performance package are #12. The highlighted wheels are for ecoboost performance package #4.

2v2HgH3odxAVNRq.jpg

Yep... This is too cool... I love looking at this stuff... I see a lot of options in brochures that don't prove to be popular with the vast majority; then to see one of those options out there on the street, you do a doubletake... Like the one, actually pictured in this brochure, #11, I've never seen before... I see a lot of #6, #8 and #3, but not much of anything else...

Edited by kilrathy10