Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Ford Torino Cobra

RDean58

Another one started, hoping to get it finished.

spacer.png 

This is from the 3 muscle car set that includes the 69 Barracuda and 69 4-4-2. This particular kit came with the BF Goodrich tires that are okay but looked to small for this build. So I found a set of F60-15 RWL tires from various AMT kits. The real car came equipped with F60x14 so I an not that far off from stock.  I think I have a warped frame because the wheelbase does not align, I will try and fix that later.

The wheels are detailed and done except for a little cleanup.

spacer.png

Then I got to looking at the interior. I do not know where AMT got this center console from in the kit,

spacer.png

because the real one actually looks like ones in the 66-67 Mustangs.

spacer.png

I am not sure what I will do about this though, I could cut out the bad console and fill the area in with flooring then put the shifter on. Or I could find a center console from a 67 Mustang GT kit for it. Easiest is to detail what is there in the kit and call it done. 

I cut away the rear bumper from the tail light area because the area below the taillights is supposed to be body color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am going to try and not do too much more "adjustments" to this kit as it is very old and to really improve it would mean to replace the frame with another one from a newer kit (maybe a Revell 70 Torino?). Btw, the engine in this kit seems to be based on one from an AMT 61 Mercury kit! I base this observation on the oil pan being molded to the bottom of the engine halves and the way the timing chain cover looks. No matter though, it seems to fill up the engine compartment.  No solid plans for a color, but I am leaning towards Tamiya TS-64 Dark Mica blue.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

• Like 1

I like how you changed the rear tail light panel around. You mention the console not being accurate and I can see the area between the shifter and where it would meet the dash is off. Are you going to build this as a 4 speed or automatic transmission car ? Your picture shows a 4 speed car and I realize this may just be for a reference.  The kits console is for an automatic transmission that could easily be changed.   The kits dash board should have a section that drops down to meet the console and hopefully  that detail will match the console. Fords body design on this car was unusual at the time but I always liked it and it sure helped them out in NASCAR competition.  

• 1 year later...

I’m curious as to what happen to this build. For I’m working on the exact same kit, from the same 3 car set, right now. It’s been almost 2 years. How has the build progressed since this post? So far mine is going together just fine. I hope to have the finished results in the “Underglass” section soon. But, I’d love to see how yours turned out. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

Ah yes, this build. I originally had fixed the A pillar break and then while moving the body around I dropped it. The repaired piece went flying along with the hood scoop so I sourced a new body from ebay. Right now it is waiting to be prepped and painted. Thanks for asking.