Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to find parts/decals for 1/18?

tbill

Hey all, I really don’t mess with die cast models,  but a buddy of mine wants me to do a 70 nova for him to match his 1:1.  He has the die cast, but it needs a color change, so all the scripts and whatnot will not be savable. Does anyone make this stuff? I have no idea what’s available out there. Any leads or ideas are appreciated.

Greetings,

Photoetched 1:18th scripts aren't widely available, although some exist with most tailored to exotic topics versus domestic fare.  Type in 'Photo etched 1:18' into eBay or other search engines to reveal what might be had (I remember seeing a Mustang-themed sheet or two).  It's a bit of a surprise that more hasn't been available to date, while with prices of diecast and resin cast topics ever on the increase and more people trying their hand at modifying older tools to come up with what they desire, I suspect the availability of suitable scripts will improve consistent with affording potential purchasers something to ponder.  

Just in passing, sometimes I'll review but also collect like-themed 1:24th and 1:25th photo etched sheets searching for material that, for creative application, might be recycled and used in alternative ways in 1:18th.  If one collects 1:18th Hwy. 61 'Cudas, some of the older 1:24th scale Monogram '71 Hemi 'Cuda photo etched material still lingering on the market can offer up possibilities in terms of interior door scripts, dashboard scripts, etc.  It also isn't unheard of to find that some photo-etched renderings of this and that are revealed to be oversized - a reality that can favor the 1:18th enthusiast.    

Sometimes enthusiasts will communicate with those who have created artwork designed for more mainstream plastic kits in 1:25th scale and inquire as to whether waterslide decals might be blown up to suit 1:18th topics, while others either seek out or avail others custom decal work.  It takes a bit of application to reveal who specializes in what, in addition to revealing who is most flexible and receptive to feedback and guidance consistent with securing the best service.  Know too that Fred Cady Decals did a few and admittedly rare 1:18th sheets, while another firm by the name of Firebird Designs is also worth seeking out on the musclecar front.   No Nova materials that I can recall, although some Camaro, BOSS Mustang and Chrysler E-body stuff can be had.   

Do know that the 1:18th modification scene is actually quite robust and isn't strictly limited to exotics, Sports and GT, or the tuner scene just to suggest a few facets of what is a diverse hobby.  Most of the activity that exists may be found for review of those select Facebook Groups that cater to such creative effort.  1:18th Scale Junkies as well as 1:18 Diecast Modifiers (the names are approximate here) are the major domestic groups, although others exist reflecting more specialized focus amongst members so-affiliated.  As spares can be expensive, more than a few people have taken it upon themselves to either afford services or essentially replicate services otherwise common across the 1:25th plastic kit scene, while techniques, materials used, tool recommended as well as guidance in relation to disassembly and reassembly are just part of the territory that stands to be discovered.  Good luck!

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70