Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help! Need identification!

Marcin M.

Hello mates!

I am currently painting a bust of Britt (Magnificent Seven) and need some advice on his hat. I have to build it from scratch, because the one proposed by the manufacturer is not compatible with the original.

What style is a cowboy hat? Cattleman? Rodeo? Cutter? Nobody can help me here in Europe, so you guys are my last hope.

Leadership Lessons 7: Know The Game You're In | by Abhishek Paul | Medium

image.jpeg.d266b03516429d07ad3507086b821d96.jpeg

PA120260.thumb.JPG.398c9a8097a31d61c698507cf17ccaeb.JPG

Thanks!

Edited by Marcin M.

58 minutes ago, Marcin M. said:

And the style shown in my pics is...?

I's say this is the closest but could be a couple others when you take wear and weathering into account.

Stetson Hollywood Drive Crushable Wool Cowboy Hat, Brown, hi-res

Stetson Hollywood Drive Crushable Wool Cowboy Hat

https://www.countryoutfitter.com/stetson-hollywood-drive-crushable-wool-cowboy-hat/096D99.html?dwvar_096D99_color=7010#prefn1=ref-silhouette&prefv1=Hat&start=51&sz=48

9 hours ago, Marcin M. said:

Hello mates!

I am currently painting a bust of Britt (Magnificent Seven) and need some advice on his hat. I have to build it from scratch, because the one proposed by the manufacturer is not compatible with the original.

What style is a cowboy hat? Cattleman? Rodeo? Cutter? Nobody can help me here in Europe, so you guys are my last hope.

Leadership Lessons 7: Know The Game You're In | by Abhishek Paul | Medium

image.jpeg.d266b03516429d07ad3507086b821d96.jpeg

PA120260.thumb.JPG.398c9a8097a31d61c698507cf17ccaeb.JPG

It looks to me like the hat is sitting a bit high on the bust head, and it looks like the "body" of the hat is good but the brim looks wrong. If I were to fix this, I think I'd razor-saw the whole hat off, take a little off the head, remove the brim from the hat, then make a new brim out of lead foil or something of the kind. But I've never done anything like this before so what do I know? :unsure:

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It looks to me like the hat is sitting a bit high on the bust head, and it looks like the "body" of the hat is good but the brim looks wrong. If I were to fix this, I think I'd razor-saw the whole hat off, take a little off the head, remove the brim from the hat, then make a new brim out of lead foil or something of the kind. But I've never done anything like this before so what do I know? :unsure:

So Snake, you suggest "just a little off the top"? ??

18 minutes ago, Mark said:

Is the hat a separate casting?  Between the shape (or lack thereof) of the brim, and the fact that it sits too high, it's amazing how perfect the features are while the hat is so far off.

I had the same thought, and looking at it again, I'm wondering, if the hat IS a separate piece, is it perhaps on backwards? 

Hi!

PA120257.thumb.JPG.0afe5dd4aea092537ed1358e23b92fcd.JPG

The hat is a separate piece, and of course, the shape of brim is wrong, I need to improve this. I'll make it from a piece of cardboard soaked wit cyanoacrylate glue but every style has its own shape of brim, so I wanna know what style it is, to make a proper stencil.

Rodeo or cutter maybe? Or maybe I'll make it using my imagination...

More here: Britt Magnificent Seven WIP

Marcin.

I'd put masking tape on the underside of your brim, make a template or pattern of the brim (draw or or just cut along the edge), transfer that to your cardboard, and then roll up the sides to match the James Coburn photos you posted. Doesn't look like rocket surgery, I'm sure you'll do just fine. B)