Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy 210 Sedan - Just like the '70's bro

Quiet Eric

This is one of my favorite builds to date. I don't think I ever finished anything when I was building years ago quite as thoroughly as this one.

spacer.png

AMT '55 Bel Air kit to start. Shaved the trim to 210 level. Raised the rear wheel openings to the bottom of the trim. Thinned the front bumper filler to look more accurate. Shaved molded in wipers and door handles to use separate ones from the parts box. Molded in exhaust removed from the chassis. Bellhousing mounts and stock rear spring mounts removed. Rear springs relocated in line with the frame rails, 9" Ford rear end added and lift shackles made. Scratch built Lakewood traction bars. New engine and trans crossmembers made. Added the frame mounts at the firewall. Revell '56 firewall added, and core support from the same with the radiator moved to the 6 cylinder spot. Engine (block, heads, front accessory stuff) is from a Revell '66 El Camino with a modified tunnel ram from an AMT Old Pro Nova and resin valve covers that are copies of Revell Pro Stock stuff. Cut the hood bar area out of the grill and made one that actually attaches to the hood, added the grill support and hood latch detail behind the grill. I would like to re-do the grill on this as the wash didn't work out at all and looks pretty bad, a phoho etched grill would be nice...maybe someday. Wheels are from an AMT '65 El Camino kit, front tires are from the Moebius Don Nicholson Cyclone kit, rear tires are Mickey Thompson N50-15's from Fireball Modelworks and I LOVE them. Rear bumper is the kit supplied nomad version, mold lines cleaned off and bumper bolts added then Alclad coated (I need a lot more practice with that but it does look better than it did out of the box). Parts box steering wheel and seats. Color is Tamiya British Green and clear. I did miss a couple things like rear shocks and a license plate which I'll be adding shortly but for now, this one is off the bench!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Quiet Eric

Wonderful build. '55 is one of my favorite body styles. It's a lot of work to clean up the body to make it a 210, I've done it  so I know what you went through. You have a lot of nice features in your car. Looks great !

19 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Nice work, Eric! Reminds me a lot of this '55 I shot in Paducah, KY in 1975:

Bel Air, though, and I remember it being dark red.

Wow, that is a great car! Thanks for sharing. One of the best eras of hot rodding.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, really appreciate it!

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Excellent job on all the mods. I love the gold MOROSO valve covers. I had them on my Grand Prix in the 90's.

469 motor assembled.jpg

Thank you! The gold Moroso valve covers were part of the plan from day 1, a must have. I bet that was a cool Grand Prix. I love Pontiacs.

4 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

Thank you! The gold Moroso valve covers were part of the plan from day 1, a must have. I bet that was a cool Grand Prix. I love Pontiacs.

The Grand Prix that engine went into burnt to the ground. I replaced it a couple of years later and still have it. I have pics if you are interested.