Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 T/A smokey & bandit

cruiser66

6.6 litre engine assembled very easily. all primed with gray rustoleum since that was what I had on hand. I sanded the body to smooth it out, and I like the results so far. I am going to try and put Tamiya X1 black for the main color. It's all pretty straight forward..

DSC_3445.JPG

DSC_3446.JPG

DSC_3447.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Looks great, may I ask what you used for gauge bezels?

2 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Did this kit come with gold chrome? I know mine did when it first came out. If not, then it's a rarity to find one with gold chrome parts.

The gauge bezel is all one piece on the chrome sprue.

no gold chrome in the kit.

thanks all for your nice comments..

23 minutes ago, cruiser66 said:

The gauge bezel is all one piece on the chrome sprue.

no gold chrome in the kit.

thanks all for your nice comments..

If you want or need some gold trim consider Bare-Metal Foil in Gold. You don't often see it on the shelf but it works just like their chrome foil. I have used it on the trim inserts on the Revell '57 Ford wagon and it even shows the pattern molded in this area on the body. The foil is thin and very easy to work with.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

If you want or need some gold trim consider Bare-Metal Foil in Gold. You don't often see it on the shelf but it works just like their chrome foil. I have used it on the trim inserts on the Revell '57 Ford wagon and it even shows the pattern molded in this area on the body. The foil is thin and very easy to work with.  

I've seen that in a local hobby shop but havn't tried it yet.

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looking good, nice job on the wheels.

thanks Gareth, the wheels were the main thing I picked this kit to build. I was hoping to duplicate the real thing, and I believe I came about as close as possible. Following is photos of the black paint job pre clearing and maybe a little sanding. The gold trim is just a reflection off something.....

DSC_3457.JPG

DSC_3458.JPG

so...being unhappy with the results of Tamiya acrylic mixed with window washer fluid, I sanded the whole thing down with 3000, 6000, and 12000, and reshot it with same paint this time mixed with lacquer thinner. I dont know why some people get good results with washer fluid, but the thinner makes the job easier with stunning results. went down smooth as a baby's butt. 

DSC_3477.JPG

Not sure why modelers try all sorts of stuff as a thinner for acrylic paints. Well, car modelers are usually a cheap bunch.

It is prudent to do some research and using the manufacturer's recommended thinner works the best.  There are also many different formulas of "water-based" acrylic paints out there.

For example Tamiya acrylic paints are not really water-based. They are closer to solvent-based paints than to water-based acrylic paints. They use alcohol as thinner, and if you use liquids such as Windex or washer fluid, they will react badly with those paints. If not using Tamiya thinner, using rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol should work well too.   I always say that well informed modeler is a good modeler.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, cruiser66 said:

like I thought, the installation of the decals was murder. I would recommend to anyone thinking about doing this kit to consider cutting some of the larger decals in half for easier application. ??

next stop,  paint booth for 2K clear . 

DSC_3481.JPG

Very Nice!

On 11/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, cruiser66 said:

like I thought, the installation of the decals was murder. I would recommend to anyone thinking about doing this kit to consider cutting some of the larger decals in half for easier application. ??

next stop,  paint booth for 2K clear . 

DSC_3481.JPG

Looks good.

I bet those pinstrip decals were a pain. 

I picked up one of these a couple years ago for a chassis and interior donor for an old '74 I had for decades. Wish I had picked up another one to build stock now.