Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer Comparison Rustoleum vs DupliColor

Hey, Guys.... I was doing a spoon test of some Tamiya paint over two different shades of primer. I had some DupliColor sandable in dark gray, and Rustoleum 2X flat gray... I was surprised to get two completely different finishes from the two primers. I know that sandable primer is meant to be sanded to smooth it, but had no idea it was so porous. The Rustoleum though the finish is a lot smoother right from the can. You can see in the pic the spoon on the left that was primed with the Rustoleum.... The color is richer and more uniform, where the Duplicolor primed one on the right is all blotchy....

813107819_primertest001.JPG.111b40de29ed36675e147c66841c0e7e.JPG

I didn't sand either spoon. Also, the Rustoleum is meant for plastics (says so on the can).....

570868707_primertest002.JPG.42b3bd4250cc4568b423f7b3c28f88cf.JPG

Just thought I would share this with you fellas....

Thanks!

Thanks for posting....  my routine is similar to yours.  I always make up new spoons when I'm ready to paint bodies and usually do a white and gray primer before the color coat.  I then number the spoons and add to a spreadsheet for future reference. 

I haven't used Duplicolor primer as yet though.

1 hour ago, hedotwo said:

Thanks for posting....  my routine is similar to yours.  I always make up new spoons when I'm ready to paint bodies and usually do a white and gray primer before the color coat.  

I’ve always used Duplicolor gray primer. Recently I wanted my red to be brighter on my Jeepster, so I tried their white primer. It lays perfectly flat and I got the effect I was looking for with the red.  I’ll be using white primer under all my light colors from now on!