Model Cars Magazine Forum

If only I had the money, space, and then knew if this ad was real

It's likely a real ad. In a prior life I owned a restoration shop specializing in pre-ww2 cars.

Nickel era (roughly 1918-1925) cars don't bring big money compared to earlier brass cars or later cars of the 30s. Parts availability and the fact that most cars from this era are most happy at 35mph detract from the fun of ownership.

There is a glut of this era of cars coming on the market and it's only going to get worse!

It’s been for sale for a while. I do searches for old cars, with year ranges being the only filter and I have seen it several times. 

There was a Pierce-Arrow sedan body and chassis for $1k in the Houston area, IIRC. No hood or fenders. No drivetrain... but wow, what a start for a resto-mod Town Car. 

7 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I would not have expected that, kinda wish I had the money and space for that, as well as a shockingly clean Turbo. Stick Shift Dodge Caravan that popped for sale recently too.

The red one? I saw that van too. Briefly thought about how awesome it would be.

It's a good looking car, but price is low due to "supply and demand". There just aren't that many diehard collectors lusting after cars like this anymore. That generation has mostly gone away. 

Younger buyers were chasing the 50s graffiti era cars back in the 70s and 80s. Now the next gen buyers are paying big money for muscle cars, but even that will die out as they get old and pass on.

I guess the teens of today are going to be hoarding 90s and millennium imports when they older.

Time marches on for all of us.

There are Gen-Xers and Millennials Are already starting to collect late 70’s to early 00’s cars and having car shows showcasing such cars. I do think that there will be younger generations that could be willing to care for cars like these......both cars like this Caddy and/or that factory turbo/stick shift Caravan.

18 minutes ago, iBorg said:

Mark my words.....in twenty years a mint, stock Honda CRX will bring the money that a 1971 mint, stock Mustang will bring today. 

I think a lot sooner than 20 years, they’re rare and in the last year or so a ‘00 Civic SI with low miles sold for fairly big money.

Nice car, it reminds me of the 1919 Dodge Brothers barn find my father bought about 5 years ago for $1500. We got it home, got it running & he sold it a few months later. It's a shame these cars don't bring better money, they're real history and cool as can be.

013_zps9v3l1ntc.jpg