Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Austin FX 4, the London Taxi 1:24

Rakentaja

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nicely done! As you said this is a rough kit!  Did you make the missing door panels?  

Thanks Tom. No I didn't make the panels, just painted the inside with same colour as the seats. I also painted the roof with light brown to look like it was upholstered. 

Nice build!

I have this one, as well as the Aoshima kit. Not sure which came first, but I'm confident they are the same kit.

Pretty simplistic kit, as you mentioned, but builds up nicely for the shelf.

I suspect it's bigger than 1/24, maybe 1/20. The classic London Cab just isn't that big in real life.

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Nice build!

I have this one, as well as the Aoshima kit. Not sure which came first, but I'm confident they are the same kit.

Pretty simplistic kit, as you mentioned, but builds up nicely for the shelf.

I suspect it's bigger than 1/24, maybe 1/20. The classic London Cab just isn't that big in real life.

Dan, it sure is 1/24.

Characteristic dimensions of a real Autin FX 4: outside length: 4580 mm / 180.3 in, width: 1740 mm / 68.5 in, wheelbase: 2810 mm / 110.6 in

Model lenght: 190,83 mm and width: 72,5 mm, wheelbase: 117,03 mm

Gareth, this model has the diesel engine with two 6 volt batteries.

23 hours ago, Rakentaja said:

It has only 68 pcs, so not much to build. Inside it has dashboard, seats, steering wheel and gear sifhter. No doorpanels at all. Engine is in one piece with batteries etc

IMG_20201016_122201.jpg

Very nice build, another item they seemed to have not included was the roof mounted indicators that these earlier FX-4 taxis had,  as the rear lamps were only side and stop lamps

15494326-1967-austin-fx4-taxi-cab-std.jpg

5 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Very nice build, another item they seemed to have not included was the roof mounted indicators that these earlier FX-4 taxis had,  as the rear lamps were only side and stop lamps

15494326-1967-austin-fx4-taxi-cab-std.jpg

I don't think those turn signals were originally installed at the factory. I've seen the pictures of those different versions. But anyway Revell / Aoshima model does not have those.

5 hours ago, Rakentaja said:

I don't think those turn signals were originally installed at the factory. I've seen the pictures of those different versions. But anyway Revell / Aoshima model does not have those.

Yes they were, they were deleted when they went with the Farina style lamps at the rear with the indicator built in.

bd6e25bc62e9646ea096b35dbf0b69ed.jpg

rc0215-207336_11@2x.jpg